Author Topic: Witness 8 Letter Dated 3/19/12  (Read 22812 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Witness 8 Letter Dated 3/19/12
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
I think whether the defense had it on the 13th, when they were attempting to depose Witness 8, author of the letter, or whether they didn't get it until the 15th, perhaps in time to at least ask Sybrina about it, matters.

If the defense had the letter before deposing Fulton, I would assume they asked her when she gave it to the prosecution. That seems at odds with O'Mara's comments about BDLR refusing to say when the letter was turned over, though perhaps it's not.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »
If the defense had the letter before deposing Fulton, I would assume they asked her when she gave it to the prosecution. That seems at odds with O'Mara's comments about BDLR refusing to say when the letter was turned over, though perhaps it's not.

I suppose it's possible, if they got it in time, that they found out from Sybrina when and how she got it and when and how she turned it over to the state and Bernie just wanted to be a dick about it anyway.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
I suppose it's possible, if they got it in time, that they found out from Sybrina when and how she got it and when and how she turned it over to the state...

I wish the Orlando Sentinel reporter had asked O'Mara if he was able to ask Fulton about the letter. That's quite an interesting question.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »
I think whether the defense had it on the 13th, when they were attempting to depose Witness 8, author of the letter, or whether they didn't get it until the 15th, perhaps in time to at least ask Sybrina about it, matters.

The reason I think it doesn't matter as to Witness 8, is that O'Mara is not done deposing Witness 8.  If I'm in error on that point, then I agree, withholding the letter until after Witness 8 has been deposed would be a big deal.

Assuming the letter has been know to and in the possession of the state for a year, the delay in turnover is part of the pattern of delay that O'Mara is requesting sanctions for.  My opinion is that the prosecution is improvidently brought in the first place, and it does not surprise me to see the prosecution acting unprofessionally.  Same for the bench.  Not that I think all Florida courts operate this way, but whenever I've been looking, they do.  Maybe it's my fault ;)

I'm also reminded of O'Mara's request that some of the detective and police witnesses be put under a court gag order to not talk amongst themselves about the case or their depositions.  I think a similar gag order would be prudent toward Witness 8.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
We don't know if the prosecution has the actual letter, or just copies.

Whatever they have, we don't know that they received it directly from Sybrina. There may be other parties between them in the chain of custody.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
We don't know if the prosecution has the actual letter, or just copies.

Whatever they have, we don't know that they received it directly from Sybrina. There may be other parties between them in the chain of custody.

I just had a thought.  What if Witness 8 dictated that letter to someone else who did the actual writing?

That would possibly explain "Trevon".

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
Ignore my previous post which I deleted. Wasn't thinking and not enough coffee yet. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

If it was written by someone else it wasn't likely a member of Trayvon's family. Presumably they would know the spelling of his name. Did we ever find out who was in the room with DD?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:45:56 PM by FromBelow »

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »
I just had a thought.  What if Witness 8 dictated that letter to someone else who did the actual writing?

That would possibly explain "Trevon".
That possible explanation for "Trevon" is sure to make the prosecution and Team Crump happy, but it raises another question:

Why would she need someone else to write this short, simple note for her?

Moreover, the handwriting isn't inconsistent with what you'd expect someone of her age and average writing ability to produce. If it had more polish and looked like someone who'd been subjected to penmanship classes, maybe.

But this looks like "teenage girl handwriting," not like "write this for me 'cause your writing is nicer."

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
Maybe DD was trying to pull a Crump. Figured if she wrote something out she wouldn't have to be "deposed".

In all seriousness, a written statement is something a lawyer or LE would want from her. I think someone was in the room with her just prior to the Crump interview. A lawyer that took (maybe even wrote out themselves) her written statement. The most likely candidates would be someone from Team Crump.

EDIT: Of course I don't know it for certain, but it really does seem someone wanted something in writing. Considering how reluctant she's been to tell the story I doubt it was her idea.

EDIT2: Looking forward to handwriting comparison to others in the room with her that day. Whoever those people were that didn't know how to spell Trayvon's name.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:35:01 PM by FromBelow »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
I think someone was in the room with her just prior to the Crump interview. A lawyer that took (maybe even wrote out themselves) her written statement.

Why assume it was written at the last minute? Assuming the 3/19 date is correct, it could have been written at any time during the day.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
Why assume it was written at the last minute? Assuming the 3/19 date is correct, it could have been written at any time during the day.
I don't assume it was written at the last minute. I do think it was written when DD was at the house prior to (waiting for) the interview with Crump. Do you really see DD, as reluctant as she evidently was to say anything, deciding on her own to put something in writing? I think someone pressed her for a written statement (or wrote it out for her) just like they had to press her to even come forward.

EDIT: Whoever wrote that out wasn't someone that knew the correct spelling of Trayvon's name. Which I'd think would exclude anyone that knew Trayvon for years like friends or family.

As an aside, there seems to be a notable absence of spelling errors in that letter. Having heard DD speak it's difficult for me to imagine her spelling skills would be much better.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:07:37 PM by FromBelow »

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
As an aside, there seems to be a notable absence of spelling errors in that letter. Having heard DD speak it's difficult for me to imagine her spelling skills would be much better.

The note did misspell "too" as "to," but the spelling does seem to be better than what I'd expect from someone with W8's apparent grammatical skill.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:21:29 PM by MJW »

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
Could someone refresh my memory? Where was DD when she was interviewed by Crump and who was with her? What was the address? Was she at her address that both the state and she refused to give out?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Assuming the 3/19 date is correct, it could have been written at any time during the day.

Do you really see DD, as reluctant as she evidently was to say anything, deciding on her own to put something in writing?

No.

I don't see what that has to do with the time of day the note was written.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Do you really see DD, as reluctant as she evidently was to say anything, deciding on her own to put something in writing?

No.

I don't see what that has to do with the time of day the note was written.

Huh? I'm not understanding your point. Are we in agreement that it was written the day of DD's interview with Crump and prior to it? At least as far as we have evidence of when it was written?

Site Meter
click
tracking