State v. George Zimmerman (Pre-Trial) > Witness Discussion

Witness #8, Thread II

(1/10) > >>

TalkLeft:
The Witness #8 Dee Dee thread topped 1,000 comments. Time to put it to rest and continue the discussion in this new thread.

nomatter_nevermind:
Responding to post on another thread.

--- Quote from: Evil Chinchilla on March 31, 2013, 10:20:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on March 30, 2013, 04:03:04 PM ---De la Rionda asked Dee Dee if she and Trayvon were dating (2:26). Her response was an unintelligible grunt, but de la Rionda seems to have taken it as a negative.

--- End quote ---

Given BDLR's additional "I don't mean to get personal, but, I'm not gonna ask you any more, other than that," I think he took her going non-verbal at that point as a sign of embarrassment, not as a denial that they were involved romantically.
--- End quote ---

I didn't mean that he took it as a denial they were 'involved romantically'. I meant that he took it as a denial that they were dating. Because, you know, that was the question that he asked.

I had forgotten that Dee Dee did say something in response to the 'dating' question.

W-8, SAO, 4/2/12, 2:26-34

--- Quote ---De la Rionda: OK. Did you guys ever start dating at all?

Dee Dee: [Unintelligible.]

De la Rionda: OK.

Dee Dee: We just [unintelligible].

De la Rionda: But would you guys talk on the phone all the time?

Dee Dee: Yeah.
--- End quote ---

After this, de la Rionda asked some telephone questions. It was almost a minute before he asked 'Were you kind of his girlfriend?' (3:22)

EC

--- Quote ---[BBM]

--- End quote ---

What does this mean?

DebFrmHell:
BBM = Bold By Me.  Others use Emphasis Added that are more legally inclined...   ;)

nomatter_nevermind:

--- Quote from: DebFrmHell on March 31, 2013, 11:58:42 AM ---BBM = Bold By Me.

--- End quote ---

Thank you.

Evil Chinchilla:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on March 31, 2013, 11:37:30 AM ---Responding to post on another thread.

Given BDLR's additional "I don't mean to get personal, but, I'm not gonna ask you any more, other than that," I think he took her going non-verbal at that point as a sign of embarrassment, not as a denial that they were involved romantically.

I didn't mean that he took it as a denial they were 'involved romantically'. I meant that he took it as a denial that they were dating. Because, you know, that was the question that he asked.

--- End quote ---
"Dating", "involved romantically", "an item", "seeing each other", "going out"... whatever.

It was a paraphrase, and the point was that BDLR seemed to sense embarrassment rather than denial on her part-- because her answers were going even more mumbly-- regardless of how it was phrased, which is why he shifted his questioning the way he did.

He was clearly trying to determine the extent of their relationship; however, I don't think BDLR's use of "dating" necessarily meant "Trayvon picks you up at your door and drives you to the Junior Sock Hop, or perhaps to the Bijou for a double feature followed by tasty treats at the malt shop. Then home by 11, with a quick kiss on the doorstep while Dad watches from the livingroom window."

(At least not unless BDLR used to be a scriptwriter for "Father Knows Best" or "Happy Days".)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version