Author Topic: How To Register for the Forums  (Read 4527 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
How To Register for the Forums
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:40:25 AM »
I have not yet found a spam program for this forum software. Every time I open registration up, I get 40 to 50 spam registrations a day that I have to delete individually (and check their origin so I know I'm not deleting real users -- the spammers are all from Turkey, Romania, China, India and the Philippines.)

If you'd like to register, just send me an email at talkelft -at-gmail dot com with your preferred user name and a real email address. I will register you and send you a password which you can immediately change to one of your own.

Keep in mind TalkLeft is pro-defense on every case. Those that are convinced he is guilty would feel more at home elsewhere. We also have comment rules designed to keep misinformation out and prevent personal attacks on commenters or Zimmerman and the Martins. If your primary interest is in the legal case, you should like it here just fine, and we welcome new memebers.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:42:18 AM by TalkLeft »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: How To Register for the Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »
I have not yet found a spam program for this forum software. Every time I open registration up, I get 40 to 50 spam registrations a day that I have to delete individually (and check their origin so I know I'm not deleting real users -- the spammers are all from Turkey, Romania, China, India and the Philippines.)

If you'd like to register, just send me an email at talkelft -at-gmail dot com with your preferred user name and a real email address. I will register you and send you a password which you can immediately change to one of your own.

Keep in mind TalkLeft is pro-defense on every case. Those that are convinced he is guilty would feel more at home elsewhere. We also have comment rules designed to keep misinformation out and prevent personal attacks on commenters or Zimmerman and the Martins. If your primary interest is in the legal case, you should like it here just fine, and we welcome new memebers.

I am going to tweet this, there are a couple of people I think would be interested in joining.  YancyFaith and Coreshift, maybe Nettles18, too.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:27:01 AM »
I am going to tweet this, there are a couple of people I think would be interested in joining.  YancyFaith and Coreshift, maybe Nettles18, too.

The court action will become frenetic at some point.

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
Quote from: TalkLeft

Is blocking by nationality something you'd be interested in doing? If so, you can modify your Register.template.php to only allow those you want. Here's a thread about it for these forums, specifically: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=355275.0

Nettles asked me how to find the forums just the other day :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:36:56 PM by AJ »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
Is blocking by nationality something you'd be interested in doing? If so, you can modify your Register.template.php to only allow those you want. Here's a thread about it for these forums, specifically: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=355275.0

Thanks, AJ. Yes, a block by country IP is exactly what I've been looking for. Unfortunately, the thread you cite is from 2009 and it wasn't made an official mod and  it's not clear it will work. I have plugins that work on my wordpress sites (not TalkLeft which is on Scoop) really well, and Ive been looking for one will make them work on smf forums. If you come across a current one, let me know. On the wordpress sites, it works quite well. 

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »

I would love to have her over here.  The woman is a library of information and is not prone to wild speculations.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »
@Talkleft,

Have you looked here for some ideas? The Stop Forum Spam mod (linked to under Third-party modifications to help combat spam) looks promising. Apparently it uses this site to determine what should be blocked.

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:01:36 AM »
Thanks, AJ. Yes, a block by country IP is exactly what I've been looking for. Unfortunately, the thread you cite is from 2009 and it wasn't made an official mod and  it's not clear it will work. I have plugins that work on my wordpress sites (not TalkLeft which is on Scoop) really well, and Ive been looking for one will make them work on smf forums. If you come across a current one, let me know. On the wordpress sites, it works quite well.

I found one from the smf website that I thought would work (GeoIP is the name of it), put SMF 2.0.3 on my linux machine to give it a shot and it didn't. I'll keep looking to see what I can find.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:13:49 AM »
I found one from the smf website that I thought would work (GeoIP is the name of it), put SMF 2.0.3 on my linux machine to give it a shot and it didn't. I'll keep looking to see what I can find.

I was actually thinking of setting up SMF 2.0.3 on my Linux box to test the mod I linked to, but if you already went through the trouble....;) It seems a big part of Jeralyn's concern is she doesn't want to make changes unless she's somewhat confident her forum won't explode. Understandable.

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:25:45 AM »
I was actually thinking of setting up SMF 2.0.3 on my Linux box to test the mod I linked to, but if you already went through the trouble....;) It seems a big part of Jeralyn's concern is she doesn't want to make changes unless she's somewhat confident her forum won't explode. Understandable.

Yeah, that's what I figured as well, regarding not wanting to fubar the forums. I'll certainly put the one you mentioned on mine and give it a shot - will have to reinstall smf first, but it only takes about 3 minutes to do :)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 02:41:49 AM »
There's also this one that uses the same Stop Forum Spam DB.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:22:29 AM »
There's also this tool that might make Jeralyn's spambot problems easier to handle if all else fails and she opens up registration again at some point.

http://www.gunnerinc.com/fslc.htm

Site Meter
click
tracking