Author Topic: Correspondence Between Sanford and Miami Police  (Read 13157 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Correspondence Between Sanford and Miami Police
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
DiwataMan has a post linking a facsimile of what appears to be a request from Sgt. Randy Smith of the Sanford Police, to a Detective Hadley, dated 2/29/12, for information on Trayvon Martin. DiwataMan thinks Hadley is with 'MDSPD', which I believe is Miami Dade School Police.

The document is said to have been released pursuant to an FOIA request.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Correspondence Between Sanford and Miami Police
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
DiwataMan has a post linking a facsimile of what appears to be a request from Sgt. Randy Smith of the Sanford Police, to a Detective Hadley, dated 2/29/12, for information on Trayvon Martin. DiwataMan thinks Hadley is with 'MDSPD', which I believe is Miami Dade School Police.

The document is said to have been released pursuant to an FOIA request.

Actually the treehouse* is running a multi-part series of FOIA'ed stuff he got on Martin's school system's police force.

Seems they brought their crime stats way down by not recording student crimes as crimes.

And then when Sanford requested Martin's records from them it all hit the fan.

It's a regular soap opera.

*Information is where you find it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
Hadley, Tagle, Hurley. We'll be needing another playlist.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
Hadley, Tagle, Hurley. We'll be needing another playlist.

Programs, programs, git yer programs, can't tell the players without a program.

Programs, programs...

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:54:21 AM »
So far, it seems the reporting by the Miami Herald is holding up well. There are allegations of falsified reports, but it seems the Miami Herald got accurate versions.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »

I forgot to link the Miami Herald report in question. The reporter is Frances Robles.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

DiWataman has a list of new players.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
This affair may be interesting in  its own right but I can't think of a reason why any new evidence relevant to the Zimmerman case will emerge from it. 

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
This affair may be interesting in  its own right but I can't think of a reason why any new evidence relevant to the Zimmerman case will emerge from it.

I doubt any such evidence will emerge, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how this doesn't already provide "any new evidence relevant to the Zimmerman case."

Looking at the affidavits that were obtained under FOIA-- and there could be more to come if the next set of requests is fulfilled in time-- it seems like there was a concerted effort to keep Trayvon's actual activities under wraps.

Commander Deanna Fox-Williams and Sgt. William Tagle had some major accusations in their sworn statements that directly touched on how Trayvon's records were handled-- including one high-level official looking at Trayvon's files as a result of Smith's request, saying "Oh, God... Oh, God...", and then ordering that reports be filed "as is" from then on, with no alterations.

This wasn't only about generalized M-DSPD misconduct.

I'm thinking there's some people in M-DSPD that really need to be deposed by MoM about things in Trayvon's record that got swept under the rug-- assuming there's still time to do so.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:01:39 PM by Evil Chinchilla »

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
So EC, the "new evidence" in the Zimmerman case, is your speculation that the school records that the defense has may have been tampered with?  So far, no sign that O'Mara and West think so.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:55:31 AM by RickyJim »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »
So EC, the "new evidence" in the Zimmerman case, is your speculation that the school records that the defense has may have been tampered with?  So far, no sign that O'Mara and West think so.
The one thing is does do is confirm the story that Frances Robles wrote for the Miami Herald.  Other than that I can help but to think that other students would be better off if the same set of rules applied to everyone.

TM could have been up for vandalism of school property and for possession of drug paraphernalia. Both minor offenses.  He wasn't exactly "squeaky" clean but there is that tweet from the cousin that has me curious as to the extent of Hurley's practices.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
Have you actually read the FOIA-released documents? Or are you just "speculating" there's nothing relevant to the Zimmerman case in them?

The sworn statements made as part of the Internal Affairs investigation launched by Chief Hurley make it clear that the documents on Trayvon Martin that were given by M-DSPD to Sgt. Randy Smith of the Sanford Police Dept. had been written in such a manner that an upper-level figure* looked at the files on his computer, responded "Oh, God... Oh, no... Oh, God..." and on the spot ordered Commander Fox-Williams to tell the men under her to from that point on write all incident reports "as is," countermanding Chief Hurley's directive.

(And when she told them, one of them responded "Oh, so now they want them written 'as is'?")

This isn't "speculation", it's what was stated under oath by the M-DSPD staff under investigation as a result of Robles' article.

The statements make it clear that M-DSPD policies at the time caused Trayvon's records that were given to Sgt. Randy Smith to have been written in some way so that they did not describe the incident(s) "as is".

If the school records Smith received downgraded or omitted Trayvon's offenses, this could potentially have biased Smith's opinion of whether George "wrongly profiled" Trayvon and whether he was entitled to "stand your ground" protection from being charged.

And IIRC, Smith was the dissenter when the estimation was made that SPD didn't have the evidence to charge George, and IIRC, he was one of the ones who pressed Serino to write a capias charging George.

While the testimony that's been released doesn't spell out the content of Trayvon's records, it's clear things weren't being fully reported; there was testimony involving the school officer** in the "graffiti" incident and the way he dealt with the jewelry in Trayvon's backpack, including officers in charge of the M-DSPD property room being called to testify.

It's also not known what was in the file that triggered the "Oh, God" response, but it was enough to result in an immediate countermanding of Hurley's policy.

It could've been either something concerning the marijuana or the jewelry-- since those things had been mentioned by Robles-- or it could have been something attached in some way that was not part of the official report (thus the order to write reports of incidents "as is"). If the latter is true, the "something attached" could have been related to "the tweet we can't discuss".

And yes, this last part IS just "speculation".

------

* (not sure I can say here who this was, since his own sworn statement hasn't yet been released under FOIA)

** (same applies here, since his sworn statement also hasn't yet been released under FOIA)

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »

If the school records Smith received downgraded or omitted Trayvon's offenses, this could potentially have biased Smith's opinion of whether George "wrongly profiled" Trayvon and whether he was entitled to "stand your ground" protection from being charged.

While I think the school records have some relevance to the case, I doubt whether TM being a jewelry thief (speculation based on being found with jewelry not belonging to him) or not has anything to do with GZ's self defense claim.  I could see it maybe playing a role in the murder 2 charge in showing that TM had engaged in suspicious activity before, so GZ wasn't just out to get someone that night.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
What's the ruling from The Boss about what can and can't be talked about RE this issue? Seems like it could easily veer into no no land? Or have the no no rules been relaxed?

And TM's school record might not have anything to do with his interaction with GZ, but it might well have something to do with GZ's interaction with a jury of his peers, no?

Site Meter
click
tracking