Author Topic: Correspondence Between Sanford and Miami Police  (Read 13196 times)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Correspondence Between Sanford and Miami Police
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »
What's the ruling from The Boss about what can and can't be talked about RE this issue? Seems like it could easily veer into no no land? Or have the no no rules been relaxed?

And TM's school record might not have anything to do with his interaction with GZ, but it might well have something to do with GZ's interaction with a jury of his peers, no?

Can't speak for Jeralyn, but since the defense has requested Trayvon's school records they would seem to have been brought into play. IANAL, but I doubt much of it will be relevant at trial unless it shows a history of aggression or violence. We can speculate that because M-DSPD was 'cooking the books' there might be such evidence, but until it shows up it's just speculation. If it ever existed it might be gone for good. Unless some M-DSPD officers testify.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 07:40:17 AM »
I could see school records being relevant if the prosecution puts on character witnesses that call TM a good kid/student.  I could also see issues such as trespassing, vandalism and possible theft being relevant to why GZ called NEN in the first place (for GZ's credibility, not anything to do with what caused the confrontation).

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
Just saw this thread. I've been following the Boston case.

Since someone asked, here's the policy.

There is a difference between school records and police records. O'Mara requested and received school records which are not being made public. The police records were obtained by an FOIA request, not O'Mara. They have become part of an internal affairs investigation. O'Mara  has not filed any pleadings about them or indicated he will seek to introduce them. If they weren't in possession of the state's attorney, or an agency that participated in the Zimmerman  investigation, he's under no duty to disclose them.

If I'm not mistaken, the 8 pages of reports on Martin were not released. Only documents with school officers talking about them were released. So no one knows what they said.

The issue in this case is whether GZ's actions in shooting Martin were justified. We already know he was hit first. Unless the  police records show a propensity by Martin for unprovoked violence, and I'm not aware that they do, they remain irrelevant to any issue in GZ's legal case and serve only to attack Martin's character. Just as does his reported drug use.

If you think that the actions of the police in handling the Martin reports affected the decision of Sanford to charge, or they deliberately withheld them from the FDLE or the state's attorney's office, or something along those lines, you can discuss that without referring to the specific actions of Martin contained in the reports.

It's been over a week since I looked at this, so if new information contradicts what I've written here, please PM me and point it out. I will be happy to make any corrections.

I haven't read through the responses on this thread, but when I do, I will delete any that attack Martin's character. If you have posted in the thread, and want to preserve your comments, copy them to your computer, so if I delete them, you won't be out your work.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:49:38 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
I understand where you are coming from and will try to stay within the parameters of your request.

I do have a legal question though related to this information and whether it could be relevant to the case.  If the prosecution calls witnesses who detail how TM was a good student and never got into trouble, would his school suspensions, attendance reports and other reports be allowed to be introduced?  I would have to think so. 

To go a step further, the prosecution is sure to present/argue that TM wasn't doing anything wrong when GZ profiled him and called NEN (walking on Taffe's property and looking at all the houses).  Wouldn't a report of an incident that occurred just a few weeks prior, detailing TM being caught [deleted by TalkLeft](whether investigated or not) be relevant to bringing into question whether TM may have been up to something when GZ observed him?

I can totally see why the defense wouldn't be able to introduce this information on their own, but I'd think they would be able to in dispute of prosecution testimony. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:42:50 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
Here's a good answer to your questions and please stop repeating the details implying criminal activity. Further comments in which you do so will be deleted. I am going to edit the details out of your last comment.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
... (walking on Taffe's property and looking at all the houses)...

I'm reasonably certain there's no law, even in Florida, against looking at houses, but was Martin on Taaffe's property or on the common area between buildings?

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
was Martin on Taaffe's property or on the common area between buildings?

Is the area between those two buildings common? I wouldn't think so, since there's no sidewalk there.

Zimmerman said a few times that Martin was in front of the house. He was most specific in the reenactment.

1:24-35
Smith: Where did he, where was he standing at when you, when he stopped? 

Zimmerman: Right there. Right in front of 1460. 

Smith: By the sidewalk, or in the grassy area?

Zimmerman: No, in the grassy area.

Smith: Right in the grassy area?

Zimmerman: Yes.

Smith: OK. That's about right in front of where the car is.

Zimmerman: Yes, sir.

Still.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
They didn't have sense enough to make Zimmerman go over and stand and walk exactly where Martin supposedly did, and the way that car is pointed puts the entire grassy area in "front" of it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
The misdemeanor of 'trespassing' is defined by Fla. Stat. 810.09.

The yard wasn't posted, fenced, or cultivated, so it seems a person would only be guilty of trespassing if they refused to leave after being asked to. That's how I read the statute.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
They didn't have sense enough to make Zimmerman go over and stand and walk exactly where Martin supposedly did, and the way that car is pointed puts the entire grassy area in "front" of it.

It's not all 'in front of 1460'.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
It's not all 'in front of 1460'.

That's my point.  The entire grassy area south of Frank's place and north of the next building to the south is "in front" of the car because of the way the car is parked parallel to the street instead of at right angles to it.

Which makes " That's about right in front of where the car is." vague enough to be of little value.

Site Meter
click
tracking