Author Topic: Apr. 30 Hearing on Sanctions, Immunity, HOA Settlement and Discovery  (Read 18502 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Apr. 30 Hearing on Sanctions, Immunity, HOA Settlement and Discovery
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 08:24:40 AM »
West testified that W-8 said Jackson was present at BDLR interview. She said Sybrina was crying.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »
West testified that W-8 said Jackson was present at BDLR interview. She said Sybrina was crying.

Jackson being Natalie Jackson?  I wasn't paying close attention.  I did hear the Sybrina crying statement, but West's delivery tends to zone me out ;-)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »
I heard Parks was there but I don't remember Jackson.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »
Jackson being Natalie Jackson? 

So I assume. I only heard 'Jackson'.

Earlier, West testified that when they got an unredacted CD of the interview, they found several minutes were missing from the redacted one.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »
W-8 wrote the letter to Sybrina 'with the assistance of a friend'.

ETA: West let slip the first name of the friend. BDLR objected, Nelson sustained and ordered it redacted.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:44:32 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »
Earlier, West testified that when they got an unredacted CD of the interview, they found several minutes were missing from the redacted one.

With the redacted portions including the admission.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 08:46:31 AM »
Bernie's crossing West, losing his temper.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:01 AM »
Witness 8 said she composed a letter with assistance from a friend, intending to give it to Sybrina.  The defense has identified a witness who is the person who assisted in writing the letter.  That witness is "Francine."  De la Rionda objects to the name being disclosed, the court agrees to redact it (real courts notice "cat out of the bag" and refuse to redact what has been made public even inadvertently).

O'Mara is done questioning West.  De la Rionda cross examination.  He asks compound questions, West says "you just asked me four questions."  West is getting under Bernardo's skin.  De la Rionda is trying to make the case that the state was not aware of the letter before defense was aware of it.  West agrees with that.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
Bernie erected a strawman, that the defense charged the state with sandbagging on the Witness 8 letter.

Bernie now brings up CTH, and its action in speculating over the identity of Witness 8.  O'Mara said that the burden was on the state to apprise the public of misidentification, as there was no way for the defense to know.  De la Rionda is off on a tangent, wanting to argue that a legal strategy mentioned at CTH or elsewhere might be similar to a strategy adoped by the defense; and if there is such similarity, then the fact that CTH is speculating over witness ID is something the defense either endorses or tolerates or otherwise has some control.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
Bernie is arguing that the original CD of Crump's recording was "the same" as the digital material taken directly from Crump's recorder.  De la Rionda is playing semantic games.  Anyway, West says the CD from the state had all the audio run together, masking the length of delays, etc.

Bernie is trying to argue that the substance in both versions was the same.  West notes that the stop/start action is relevant because it conceals in-between.  West makes the better argument, that he could understand the direct digital, but could not understand the CD.  De la Rionda concludes by saying (intelligible vs. unintelligible) is no difference.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Just as an aside, it seems to my layperson opinion that having Zimmerman in the courtroom and listening to BDLR's cross is good trial prep. I'm sure it's different from the hotseat, but it seems like a good experience to me anyway.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
Just as an aside, it seems to my layperson opinion that having Zimmerman in the courtroom and listening to BDLR's cross is good trial prep.

I doubt any amount of prep will make it advantageous for Zimmerman to testify.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
I doubt any amount of prep will make it advantageous for Zimmerman to testify.

Time in the courtroom can make the environment less intimidating.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
Why not giving who was in the room at DeeDee's interview with BDLR was bad is that the Affidavit of Probable Cause was based on what she said and what she said was influenced by whom was in the room.  That hasn't been brought out explicitly.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
Witness 8 gave as the reason she didn't go to the funeral, that she couldn't bear to look at Martin's body.

Bernie making nonsense again, that the defense argument is that Witness 8 being unwilling to view Martin's body exonerates Zimmerman.  West says the exculpatory nature of Witness 8's lie about a need to go to the hospital goes to Witness 8's credibility.  Bernie is trying to define "exculpatory" as only that which directly exonerates defendant.

Bernie gets to the nub, that Witness 8 lie about the hospital visit is immaterial.  Nelson will adopt that finding.

Site Meter
click
tracking