Author Topic: Voice ID experts  (Read 24039 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Motion For Evidentiary Hearing - Voice ID experts
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
In considering whether to allow Reich to testify, I wonder if a Frye hearing or sanity hearing is more appropriate.

Reich's report, p. 3.
His first utterance on CALL1 [NEN] is a whispered, "D'ya think I'm crazy here?"

Projection?

Offline paperboy05

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
So is Reich attempting to determine what was said better or worse when reality ghost hunting shows do that with EVPs? Seems like they are nothing but opinions based on confirmation bias IMO.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
Where the eff does Zimmerman say "These shall be" 

It's 'challenging for the untrained listener to detect'.

Reich says it's one second after the start of the recording, simultaneous with the dispatcher saying 'nine one one'.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
The state may seek a second murder charge because Reich hears Zimmerman confess, "I buried Paul."

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »
Neither of these reports rise to the level of admissible evidence in my opinion. Reich's is a joke. I just posted my thoughts here.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Reich hears Zimmerman confess, "I buried Paul."

Is this a pop culture allusion?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
Is this a pop culture allusion?

Yes. The Beatles.  Play Revolution No. 9 backwards, and you hear "Paul is dead" (or "Turn me on dead man")

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Voice ID experts
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Not everybody has the negative opinion of the reports given here.  Bill Schaeffer, the resident "legal analyst" at WFTV, Orlando says
It may be the defense's biggest nightmare...

In the end, you may back the battle of the experts and the jury will be left to sort it out....But Sheaffer said the science isn't new and it's likely the judge will allow it.

"The judge is likely to find, 'I think I'm going to let this in, let the jury hear it, let the jury decide what weight or credibility to give these expert witnesses,'" said Sheaffer.

Since he knows more about Florida Courts than we do, maybe he is right.  His "the science isn't new" seems to imply very low Frye standards in that state.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
His "the science isn't new" seems to imply very low Frye standards in that state.

Jose Baez complained of that in the Casey Anthony case.

He won anyway.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
From page 5 of the H and H report,  I am wondering if those cutoffs clipped the scream range especially at the high end.

They wouldn't have removed the fundamentals, just some of the higher overtones/harmonics, except that the phone system itself would have done that before the audio got to the county's call center recording devices, so what they're really filtering out is stuff outside the "voiceband" that wasn't part of the original audio entering W11's phone.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »
The state's two sets of experts appear to completely contradict each other on the final cry. H&H found 16 utterances. The 16th utterance of "swaa" is likely to be the final word "stop" that Reich hears before the gunshot. Reich states that this must be Martin because the frequency of the first formant is too high to be Zimmerman. H&H make their most emphatic statement that this was not Martin and they attach a 70% probability that it was Zimmerman.
If H&H's "swaa" is indeed Reich's "stop", why not skip the Frye hearing and make the state look like fools at trial.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »
If H&H's "swaa" is indeed Reich's "stop", why not skip the Frye hearing and make the state look like fools at trial.

The state doesn't have to call all, or for that matter any, of their experts. They could call Reich alone.

I don't know why they would call the others. I think their report supports the defense case.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
The 16th utterance of "swaa" is likely to be the final word "stop" that Reich hears before the gunshot.

Why?

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »
H&H make clear in their conclusions that the 16 utterances were numbered in chronological order. As I recall from listening many months ago, the last cry came just before the gunshot. So cry 16 is likely to be the final cry that Reich analyzed. Further "swaa" and "stop" share the first consonant and vowel sound.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
The state doesn't have to call all, or for that matter any, of their experts. They could call Reich alone.
I see your point here. The timing of the reports is interesting H&H is dated March 20. The state must have read that and decided that they needed to find somebody else in a hurry. Reich's report is dated May 9, the day before both reports were emailed to the defense.

Site Meter
click
tracking