Author Topic: Motion to Allow Jury to Inspect Scene  (Read 6628 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Motion to Allow Jury to Inspect Scene
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
The defense filed a motion to let the jury make a field trip to the scene.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Re: Motion to Allow Jury to Inspect Scene
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Smart move, IMO.

Zimmerman will certainly want to point out (as did out host from the outset) the importance of W11's proximity to the altercation and the fact that the closer to events, the more Zimmerman is corraborated.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »
Smart move, IMO.

An obvious one.

the closer to events, the more Zimmerman is corraborated.

Yes, the device recording the NEN call was a long way from the scene.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »
The most important thing they could learn from the scene was how dark it was.  It would have been impossible for Zimmerman to keep track or Martin's whereabouts to run him down, and vice versa.  See Dave Knechel's video.  How they could keep things that dark with an army of paparazzi following them is a problem.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
It would have been impossible for Zimmerman to keep track or Martin's whereabouts to run him down, and vice versa.  See Dave Knechel's video

Your opinion. The video proves nothing, in my opinion.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
Yes, the device recording the NEN call was a long way from the scene.

Am I missing a spelling joke here? I'm not following your point. I wasn't referencing the recording device or the NEN call - I was referencing W11's proximity to the confrontation. I'm asserting that, in my opinion, it is helpful to Zimmerman to point out the relative proximity of the witnesses to the event to help the jury sort out any issues of commensurate detail that may arise.

Offline AghastInFL

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »
They will come away with an appreciation of just how small the area is... the neighborhood is compact, homes are close to the street, a person can walk the entirety of the scene in a matter of minutes, as evidenced by the NEN call.
Question, Will they mark the precise location of the body? at the request of jurors? or ...? IMO there is a lot of ambiguity in that regard even amongst those with a great deal of knowledge of facts in the case.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
I'm not following your point.

The NEN recording is the evidence most inconsistent with Zimmerman's statements.

ETA: Back on topic, I think it is interesting that the motion seems to presuppose that the NEN recording will be admitted into evidence.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:41:14 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »
The other important thing, besides the inability of anybody to see much on the dogpath (besides W#6's patio and lawn), that might be noticed by the jury is the testing of my favorite scream evidence.  While standing at W#6's patio door, is there a really noticeable echo given by somebody screaming "Help!" when on their knees on the lawn, facing the houses across the dog path, versus somebody in Zimmerman's position, on his back, feet pointing towards the patio door?  One would assume that if the defense proposes this, they had tested it out already.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
The prelude to the incident is documented in Mr. Zimmerman's non-emergency call, in which very specific locations are noted at specific time markers in the recorded phone call.
  I guess from this that the defense won't try to have the NEN call suppressed as evidence.  The grounds for trying to do that, to paraphrase Dershowitz, is that the self defense claims are all based on what happened after the call ended.  Maybe they assumed the judge would not grant their request.  Actually the quoted statement is incorrect unless O'Mara has the GPS data from Zimmerman's phone.  I don't think there is any place on the NEN call where Zimmerman pinpoints his location verbally.  The only other source, besides the hypothetical GPS, is Zimmerman's later interviews.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »
I don't think there is any place on the NEN call where Zimmerman pinpoints his location verbally.

The motion says 'specific locations'. It doesn't say Zimmerman's locations.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
Which specific locations do  you mean?  I only remember the clubhouse and back entrance being mentioned.  I find it hard to believe that is what O'Mara had in mind.  Well maybe he does have the GPS.   ;)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »
Which specific locations do you mean?

I didn't write the motion. 

I only remember the clubhouse and back entrance being mentioned.

Also the mailboxes.

I find it hard to believe that is what O'Mara had in mind. 

Why?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
How does it help the defense case for the jury to view the clubhouse, mail boxes and back entrance and link them to various times Zimmerman mentioned them in the NEN call? 

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »
How does it help the defense case for the jury to view the clubhouse, mail boxes and back entrance and link them to various times Zimmerman mentioned them in the NEN call?

The location of the back entrance would corroborate some of Zimmerman's statements. But the motion doesn't say the locations help the defense case. It just says they are 'noted at specific time markers in the recorded phone call'.

Site Meter
click
tracking