Author Topic: DEFENDANT'S 3RD SUPPLEMENTAL DISCOVERY  (Read 11584 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: DEFENDANT'S 3RD SUPPLEMENTAL DISCOVERY
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »
TalkLeft on  Defendant's 3rd Supplemental.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »
TalkLeft on  Defendant's 3rd Supplemental.

I almost said "but I'm sure nmnm will be along quickly to fix it" but thought it might sound snarky when I didn't mean it. Johnny on the spot as always nm.

:D

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
What does ion, uon, nd, bruh, bac, aonn, and smh'l  mean?

It means you're old and out of touch with today's youth.

;D

From context I'm guessing

"If dats wat I wanna do nd uon like it"

means "If that's what I want to do and you don't like it"

"naw ion wanna do it"

means "No, I don't want to do it"

"Bruh on sum real..."

means "Brother (not necessarily a relation, perhaps just a male, likely black) on some real..."

The rest I'm still working on.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
As none of his male correspondents are likely to use the word "mommy" in relation to their own mothers, I'm assuming the discussion of the gun being bought for the other party by their "mommy" was with a female.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
I'm assuming the discussion of the gun being bought for the other party by their "mommy" was with a female.

W-8, according to Report 4.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »
What I wonder is, why are some of the text messages redacted? I can understand why names or phone numbers might be, but why whole messages, such as the 7:08 message from W8?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »
What I wonder is, why are some of the text messages redacted? I can understand why names or phone numbers might be, but why whole messages, such as the 7:08 message from W8?

The only reason I can think of is to tamp down public outcry and at the same time, send a message to the prosecution with the unredacted stuff.  The prosecution knows ALL of it, and so does the defense.  If the information was benign or irrelevant, there is no need to redact it, except, as you note, for names of third parties.

Oh, another possibility, maybe the redacted material implicates other criminal activity (e.g., drug sales by third parties) so is potentially part of a separate criminal investigation.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
The only reason I can think of is to tamp down public outcry and at the same time, send a message to the prosecution with the unredacted stuff.  The prosecution knows ALL of it, and so does the defense.  If the information was benign or irrelevant, there is no need to redact it, except, as you note, for names of third parties.

That doesn't seem like a valid exception to Florida's FOI law.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:22 AM »
The rest I'm still working on.

I just realized 'wyd' = 'What you doing?'

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »
That doesn't seem like a valid exception to Florida's FOI law.

MOM has shown a tendency to bend over backwards to not appear inflammatory or "racist" however.

I agree it doesn't seem like a valid exception, but cboldt makes a good point, plus it shows the judge they're willing to be reasonable.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »
MOM has shown a tendency to bend over backwards to not appear inflammatory or "racist" however.

I agree it doesn't seem like a valid exception, but cboldt makes a good point, plus it shows the judge they're willing to be reasonable.

I don't think O'Mara has his eye on the judge, or cares what the judge might think if the phone logs were released unredacted.  He crossed that bridge by releasing material that goes to explain a possible reason that Martin would strike first, and releasing more is only a matter of degree.

My thought was that the redacted material is even worse, and O'Mara is letting Bernardo know that Bernardo holds the key to maintaining the public secrecy of that.  It's pressure against the state to avoid making character an issue.

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
Why is O'Mara worried the Sate will make character an issue? If anything the State should be worried. I say O'Mara should encourage the state to go that way. Either way, in a world where people have working brains George is found not guilty but unfortunately we don't live it that world.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
I didn't perceive a lot of worry. O'Mara made his position fairly clear to me:

1. The state is in the sole position to decide what case it puts on.

2. If the state decides to focus solely on the ~5 minutes of the incident, then those ~5 minutes will be the focus for the defense. W11, W6, Zimmerman's injuries, the lack of non-gunshot injury to Martin.

3. If the state decides to paint a picture of Martin before the incident, then he is prepared to make certain that the jury has the information they need to get an accurate picture of Martin as he came to this incident.

When you add in his pleadings you also add:

4. If the state chooses to make accusations against the police investigations, he is prepared to arm the jury with information regarding how the investigation was handled and the individual officers' professional opinion how it should have been handled.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
Why is O'Mara worried the Sate will make character an issue? If anything the State should be worried. I say O'Mara should encourage the state to go that way. Either way, in a world where people have working brains George is found not guilty but unfortunately we don't live it that world.
As O'Mara said on HLN yesterday, the defense has a straight forward self defense case.  The state's best bet is to complicate the picture and try to get the jury to focus on Zimmerman's reasons for getting out of the car, his various inconsistencies in his interviews, medications, temperament, etc.  The more O'Mara can keep the focus on exactly what happened after Zimmerman and Martin met at the T, the easier the path to acquittal.  He has put the prosecution on notice not to bring up negatives about Zimmerman or positives about Martin.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
What does ion, uon, nd, bruh, bac, aonn, and smh'l  mean?

www.urbandictionary.com has a number of them defined.

Since it's user-compiled, there are often multiple definitions for a single term, and some may not be applicable or may be regional slang not used in FL.

However, in a texting context, "ion" means "I don't". It appears to be a transcription of the slurred pronunciation of the two words in AAVE (with "don't" losing the spoken "d" and "t").

"uon", of course, would be "you don't".

Site Meter
click
tracking