State v. George Zimmerman (Pre-Trial) > Evidence Discussion

Time on the phone

(1/10) > >>

AJ:
In another thread, we were discussing the time on the phone and we decided the time couldn't be correct because of various factors. I'm not entirely sure of that now.

In this image we see that the battery was removed while stored in the evidence bag:

http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/discovery_12/screenpics/2012-10-15_0002.jpg

In this image we see the time on the phone as being 7:02PM (taken at 6:07AM on 10/16/12):

http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/discovery_12/screenpics/2012-10-16_0001.jpg

Along with the information we found out yesterday (the last text being unread at 7:08PM), I think it might be a fair assumption to say the phone died shortly before 7pm - giving a couple minutes to get the pattern lock mentioned in the second image above. Only question in regard to such an assumption is: did they charge the battery externally, are they using a different battery or was the battery not really dead but perhaps a connection that needed to be cleaned (or otherwise fixed) ?

leftwig:
I am not sure I understand your conclusions.  Are you suggesting that when they put the battery back in place, the clock started up as if picking up where it last left off (the time in the photo is now 7:02, so you assume it had died a few minutes earlier)?   I wouldn't think something like the time would have stayed in place for 7 months (ie, not stored on a removable memory device, but was in the phones transient memory).  I am no expert so have no idea, just trying to understand where you were going with this.

MikeB:
I returned from a vacation in Colorado this week. Two hour time difference. When I returned- and before I had cell service - my phone was "stuck" on Colorado time. I am willing to bet a cup of eCoffee that if the phone no longer had service, the time would be stuck on whatever it was when shut off.

DebFrmHell:

--- Quote from: MikeB on May 24, 2013, 08:32:04 AM ---I returned from a vacation in Colorado this week. Two hour time difference. When I returned- and before I had cell service - my phone was "stuck" on Colorado time. I am willing to bet a cup of eCoffee that if the phone no longer had service, the time would be stuck on whatever it was when shut off.

--- End quote ---

I powered up a phone that I don't have service on.  It came up with real time when I turned it on.  We don't know when that photo was taken.  We just know that the photo was taken at 7:02pm since there is no date listed.  It is showing too many password attempts.  It shows the emergency 911 that you can call on phones, service or not.  Since that is the only button that would work, IMO, Singleton used that one to get the phone number.

Where is NMNM?  I don't have a quick reference other than one report from Det. Kuhl in CA.  There are no dates or times listed on it.  I am looking for the evidence file where the phone was checked out.  Remember that Brenton and an SAO investigator (Gilbreath?) had that phone for around 6 wks- 2 months (IIRC) 

The phone got shipped to CA sometime in January... again from memory. 

And we know how that goes... :o    ;)

RickyJim:
If it is OK to publish the text messages found on the phone, wouldn't be OK to publish the GPS data?  Or are the text messages somehow less protected than what are referred to as "phone records".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version