Author Topic: Time on the phone  (Read 8743 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Time on the phone
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
Deb, I am wondering if you are confusing Martin's with Zimmerman's phone.  For some reason, the following scenario sticks in my mind.
  • Singleton takes Zimmerman's phone on 2/26/12 and has a memory dump performed.
  • She gives phone back to Zimmerman before he goes home.
  • In early March the police ask for Zimmerman's phone again.
  • My mind goes blank as to whether they returned it again or is it still being held as evidence
Does thus sound familiar to anybody else?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
Deb, I am wondering if you are confusing Martin's with Zimmerman's phone.  For some reason, the following scenario sticks in my mind.
  • Singleton takes Zimmerman's phone on 2/26/12 and has a memory dump performed.
  • She gives phone back to Zimmerman before he goes home.
  • In early March the police ask for Zimmerman's phone again.
  • My mind goes blank as to whether they returned it again or is it still being held as evidence
Does thus sound familiar to anybody else?

No, I am not confusing the phones. I have yet to find the log I was looking for.  I am thinking it is in the 2nd Doc Dump.  Been sick this week so I haven't had it in me to go over everything in that one.  I was hoping for a quick reference to it.

All of that is mostly true  RE: Zimmerman's phone. 

This one
Singleton takes Zimmerman's phone on 2/26/12 and has a memory dump performed.
The night of his interrogation, SPD had his phone because Singleton had it brought to him so he could retrieve a number for her.  That was regarding the security cameras.  I don't recall a doc dump of it.  It wasn't labeled as evidence, unlike DMS-7 the cell belonging to TM, so it appears they let him leave with it.  They kept his gun, clothing, boots and socks. 

He did turn it over when they issued a warrant for it.  I am thinking it was later in March though, possibly the SAO investigators asked for it.

The Zimmerman's bought two phones when he got released from jail the first time.

Sorry to be so vague.  Out of everything I have, I really blew it on the cell phones.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
Now I am wondering if I am hallucinating about Zimmerman's phone.  If they had his GPS coordinates during the NEN call when questioning him, that would have come up.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
I have yet to find the log I was looking for.  I am thinking it is in the 2nd Doc Dump.

What exactly is it you are looking for?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
Under this theory, you'd have to set the time on your phone every time you take out the battery - even if only for a moment. While it may be true that the phone may try to contact an ntpd (of some type) once a battery is re-inserted, that doesn't mean the last known time for the device isn't stored in non-volatile memory somewhere. While I agree that phones lack a CMOS battery so they can't continue to update the time without power like a computer would, I don't think they completely lose time either.

I don't have an Android phone to test with (or a phone that has easy battery access) .. but if someone does, a simple test would be to set the phone to not update through an ntpd (or whatever) and remove the battery. After a few hours, plug the battery back in and see what time it says.

The time it was when the battery is removed may be stored in non-volitile memory, but without a source of electrical power, the oscillator whose vibrations are counted to determine stuff like the passage of time doesn't oscillate, so the clock doesn't run when there's no power.

If the phone is then powered back up inside a Faraday cage where it can't access a cell phone network, it'll start the clock running again either from whatever time it was when the battery was removed, it it stored that info, or else it'll reset to whatever default date and time the operating system uses.

As for whether an east coast phone powered up in California uses the time signal from a local cell phone tower, or whether it communicates with the east coast server and gets that 3 hour difference not counting the Daylight Saving Time change that may have occurred since the battery was removed, I do not know.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
What exactly is it you are looking for?

Remember that log sheet for TM's cell phone?  The one that showed Singleton had checked it out a few days after the shooting?  It was a log sheet that had handwritten signatures and badge numbers.  I think Serino had checked it out also.   It would be the one that the date coincides w/ the 911 call made to that phone by SPD.  It established the number when they called it back.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure they gave Trayvon's phone back to Tracy right around the same time they gave George's gun back to George.

;D ;D ;D

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
Remember that log sheet for TM's cell phone? 

I think that's 41/284.

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
If the phone is then powered back up inside a Faraday cage where it can't access a cell phone network, it'll start the clock running again either from whatever time it was when the battery was removed, it it stored that info, or else it'll reset to whatever default date and time the operating system uses.

I don't think we know whether or not the phone was set up to automatically set the time. Note the test I mentioned and you quoted. Judging by the lack of a proper time no matter the location, I think it'd be following occham's razor to say it wasn't set up to automatically update. As a side note, my phone does adjust when time zone changes... but I don't have an Andriod so I can't speak for it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:06:12 PM by AJ »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
I think that's 41/284.

Thank you.  OK.  The thing I think is odd is the seizure date for DMS-7.  It reads 3/22/12.  Looking over the log, it looks like everything was transferred to FDLE on 3/26/12.  It is probably nothing.   It just bugs me that none of the dates match with the 22nd on the log sheet.

This is the image of the phone
http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/discovery_12/screenpics/2012-10-16_0001.jpg

This is the image of the phone when it went off to Det Kuhl in CA.
http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/discovery_12/screenpics/2012-10-15_0002.jpg

The 22nd is the day that Corey's office took over the investigation.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »
Remember that Brenton and an SAO investigator (Gilbreath?) had that phone for around 6 wks- 2 months (IIRC) 

The phone got shipped to CA sometime in January... again from memory. 

The source on that would be a State's Response to Defendant's Demand for Specific Discovery.  As so often at GZLegal, it's not available at the moment.

There's a thread on it (just 2 pages). You started it, btw.

The phone was shipped to California on 10/12/12.

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »
The source on that would be a State's Response to Defendant's Demand for Specific Discovery.  As so often at GZLegal, it's not available at the moment.

It seems they have switched hosts and not all of the urls going to the previous host were changed. All you have to do is switch out the ip and home directory for "gzdocs.com" .. so the invalid url of:

http://184.172.211.159/~gzdocs/documents/0213/response_motion_discovery_cell.pdf

Becomes:

http://gzdocs.com/documents/0213/response_motion_discovery_cell.pdf

Today I put all of the gzlegal docs on a dropbox to help when they are actually down. I'm going to put all of the docs from flcourts18 on there as well as all of the State's discovery (as soon as I find it all again). I linked it in another thread, message me if you'd like the url and can't find it or don't want to go searching for it lol (don't want to give the appearance of spamming it).

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the fix, AJ.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Looking over the log, it looks like everything was transferred to FDLE on 3/26/12. 

I think you're misreading the 3/26 entry.  I read:

DMS-17-18,20,22

That makes the last entry for DMS-7 on 3/20.

In the handwritten 3/26 entry, the first dash connects with the numeral 1. That makes it seem like a meaningless squiggle. I think that's why you mistook DMS-17 for DMS-7.

The 22nd is the day that Corey's office took over the investigation.

Unless they declared it a holiday, FDLE had to do something on that day.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:15:14 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
Above that, next line up, on 3/26 is listed as DMS-1-10.  I read that to be DMS 1 thru 10.  Like I said, it just bugs me that the dates don't match.  There is not one date for any item that matches 3/22/12 and  I want to know why not?

I pinky swear...I am not mixing my 7's and 17's.  ((If I am, please don't tell me.  There is a certain amount of bliss in this!))

:o

WARNING!  OCDer On Board!  WARNING!

;)

Site Meter
click
tracking