Author Topic: June 6th Hearing  (Read 12143 times)

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: June 6th Hearing
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Or she can just put a stop to this matter and push it off until after the trial.

They had plenty of time to go after George and Shellie for a matter that was a more likely candidate for post trial but not for the state prosecutor committing outright fraud?!?!?

I'm really not sure why I'm watching this--there's no mystery involved. She's going to bend over to give the state whatever they want plus whatever extra she can give them. MOM and West are screwed.

It's bringing to mind an episode of L&O where the judge wanted to 'help' Jack make a point in the trial of a drunk driver. Remember it? Jack didn't even have to say "Objection!" before the judge would sustain it and cut off the defense.

I understand the State of Florida has invested a lot in GZ being guilty of something, but do they have to be this obvious about it?

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
Nelson doesn't have 15 minutes to spare when it is time to put BDLR on the hot seat for a hearing she scheduled to deal with this matter but then she take a 20 minute break?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
Dr. Nakasone of the FBI next up.  He will say the experts who claim they can make comparisons are FOS.  AFAIK.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »
Dr. Nakasone of the FBI next up.  He will say the experts who claim they can make comparisons are FOS.  AFAIK.

Succinctly put, RJ.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
Corey got the all clear from Nelson and has returned to her kangaroo court.

Tony Pipitone ‏@TonyPipitone 22m
Angela Corey just returned to the courtroom, now that call for possible contempt of her top prosecutor is put off until post-trial.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
Dr. N says they need strong guidelines to make sure of proper use of the technology in a courtroom situation.  IOW, clowns like Reich and Owen shouldn't be paid attention to.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
On to the show hearing before Nelson concludes that the state's voice ID experts may testify.

First witness is live in court.  Defense witness Nakasone (phonetic on my part)  FBI employee, stationed in Quantico

FBI expert.  Seems reasonably well credentialled for the technical issue in this case.

West asks for Nakasone opinion about state of the art in speaker recognition.  He says there is a reasonable reliability in the technology, but the technology is fragile if used by untrained or reckless users who do not possess training, and there is a consensus to establish guidelines to allow admission of testimony.  There is a standards working group, working on guidelines for forensic speaker recognition technology.  He is on the group.  Group is carefully selected based on integrity, publication of research, academic and technical prowess.  Meets twice a year, NIST and Biometric Center of Excellence in the FBI sponsor the committee.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »
This NIST discussion is a setup to skewer Owen and his software. I didn't see Owen in the NIST evaluation list.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
I hope he will be asked if Owen's program has been submitted to his working group for evaluation.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
I hope West gets him to discuss the problem of comparing screams with non screams for speaker identification.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Nakasone volunteered that the scream sounded like a person facing an imminent threat of death.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
Is this guy (Nakasone sp) acting as his own expert or is he sort of representing the NIST group?

Reason I'm asking has to do with how easily Nelson will be able to bulldoze his testimony in her zeal to allow the state's to have their audio expert--you know, the one that claims GZ shouted "there can be only one" or whatever the heck he said he heard.

I'm thinking one guy is easy to dismiss/ignore, but the whole NIST group is a little more difficult.

So far he's been really good though, explaining how long the samples need to be, how there can be no other voices in the sample and how stress will effect the voice.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
What is this prosecutor's name?  I think he got nowhere with Nakasone.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
What a lame cross exam.  Algebra uses symbols instead of numbers, right?  No, it uses both, symbols and numbers.  Okay, and you will agree that if the value of the variables is changed, the answer changes?  Mantei is trying to be clever, elicit that the witness recognizes his voice from phone over lunch.  Then he tries to set the standard for accepting an opinion, as lack of certainty.  Pretty short cross exam, compared with direct.

I anticipate that the redirect by West will be brief.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
Is this guy (Nakasone sp) acting as his own expert or is he sort of representing the NIST group?

Reason I'm asking has to do with how easily Nelson will be able to bulldoze his testimony in her zeal to allow the state's to have their audio expert--you know, the one that claims GZ shouted "there can be only one" or whatever the heck he said he heard.

I'm thinking one guy is easy to dismiss/ignore, but the whole NIST group is a little more difficult.

So far he's been really good though, explaining how long the samples need to be, how there can be no other voices in the sample and how stress will effect the voice.

Acting on his own.  His relationship with the standards working group is simply used to establish his bona fides.

Site Meter
click
tracking