Author Topic: State's 17th Supplemental Discovery  (Read 13315 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
State's 17th Supplemental Discovery
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
Listed in the court's Detailed Case View as filed 06/03/2013 but not yet on the court's list of Zimmerman documents or on GZLegalCase.

[Added by Talkleft: The records are now available here.]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:54:28 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: State's 17th Supplemental Discovery
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
Right below that is a State's Motion to Compel Discovery.  Now isn't that a switch?  What could the defense have that the prosecution doesn't?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
...What could the defense have that the prosecution doesn't?

Lower blood pressure?

Fewer ulcers?

A non-redacted Complete Works of Shakespeare?

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
My gut tells me that this is to compel Shellie Zimmerman to answer certain questions at deposition and will argue that she is misapplying either her 5th Amendment protection or her spousal privilege. This is pure speculation on my part, however.

Another explanation could be reports from experts regarding voice identification. The state has also complained that a certain witness created drawings not provided to them - Zimmerman asserted these not exist and that witness was mistaken.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Rene Stutzman has an article in the Orlando Sentinel the mentions the discovery. It concerns GZ applying and being turned down for a job as a police officer, and his training at a gym that bills itself as "The Most Complete Fight Gym in the World!"  I'm not sure how either is relevant to anything. The gym also offers weight training, rock climbing, and other general fitness activities. I can't think of any issue that hinges on GZ's fight prowess, since the only injury TM suffered is from the gunshot even though the altercation was in progress for a fair amount of time before the shot.

Also interesting is the article mentions a motion in limine filed by the defense to exclude terms including, "profiled," "vigilante," "self-appointed Neighborhood Watch captain," "wannabe cop," and the phrases "He got out of the car after the police told him not to," and "He confronted Trayvon Martin".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:15:25 PM by MJW »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
Rene Stutzman has an article in the Orlando Sentinel the mentions the discovery.

Bad link.

Taking the liberty:

Orlando Sentinel, 6/4/13

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:31:22 AM »
I wonder if the 7-11 cash register records say 'iced tea'. If all flavors are priced the same, it would make sense for them all to be lumped under one label.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
The Defense asked Nelson for a subpoena those records from 7-Eleven last January.  I thought that was granted.

Offline heidelja

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
…  I'm not sure how either is relevant to anything. … I can't think of any issue that hinges on GZ's fight prowess…

Wouldn't it seem that the purpose would be to put an image that GZ is a fighter in the jury's mind?

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
Wouldn't it seem that the purpose would be to put an image that GZ is a fighter in the jury's mind?

But why would the state be able to enter it into evidence? I don't see how it would be admissible when, for example, specific acts of violence aren't.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »
I wonder if the 7-11 cash register records say 'iced tea'. If all flavors are priced the same, it would make sense for them all to be lumped under one label.

No it wouldn't. It would make sense to keep accurate sales records and inventory as well as proof of purchase for customers buy labeling specific products individually. Do store labels all products sold by the coca cola company as coke?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »
No it wouldn't.

Evidence?

It would make sense to keep accurate sales records and inventory as well as proof of purchase for customers buy labeling specific products individually. Do store labels all products sold by the coca cola company as coke?

I used to work for a company that provided inventory services to retail stores. My recollection is that retailers often group together items of the same price and general character.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
Evidence?

I used to work for a company that provided inventory services to retail stores. My recollection is that retailers often group together items of the same price and general character.

Having done vendor sales for 4 years previously, it's according to how the items are managed. If they are POS replenished (register keeps track of sales, communicates with a server and places an order with the distributor periodically) then each item will have a specific item description that's usually download when that SKU is added. If the item is vendor manager (the beer salesman comes in, inventories back-stock and places an order) then the store manager may well group items into like SKUs to make price changes easier. Instead of doing 10 price changes - one for each flavor of juice, for instance, they will just do one price change since the store's markup/down will be the same. The vendor is responsible for keeping the dates kosher and the popular flavors/packages in stock.

Generally all a c-store manager cares about is the top 10 store-wide, top 2 or 3 per category and whatever they or home office is pushing to drive sales. In today's workforce, if you have a manager that can name those items and keep the money straight, you hold on for dear life.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
The Defense asked Nelson for a subpoena those records from 7-Eleven last January.  I thought that was granted.

The cash register records are what is cited in the 7th supplemental (last item under K on p.2), referenced by MJW. I was thinking the 7th supplemental might have said 'iced tea' because the records did, rather than the police reports or the media.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:51:09 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
If all flavors are priced the same, it would make sense for them all to be lumped under one label.

No it wouldn't.

Evidence?

Sorry, I see I misread that. I thought Redbrow meant the 7-11 wouldn't do that. Whether it makes sense is obviously a matter of opinion.

Site Meter
click
tracking