Author Topic: June 7th Hearing  (Read 15533 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
June 7th Hearing
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
I think a new thread is appropriate for today's hearing.  I have seen a report that O'Mara is stuck in traffic so the hearing start will be delayed.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: June 7th Hearing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
Another Matt Gutman exclusive. Trayvon's voice.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
Well isn't that interesting.

The ABC report also included an audio expert not affiliated with either side who, upon listening to this bit of TM's voice, concludes it's much more likely the voice screaming for help was GZ's.

Found in the cache of the phone. Only recently available to the defense. Perhaps part of what the state of FL was trying to hide.

An interesting report from ABC and Mr. Gutman, all in all.

And this just comes out today? Can MoM mention it to Nelson, like..."hey, remember yesterday you said nothing they held back effected us at all...?"

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
Owen screwed up there. It needs 20 seconds but can get by with less than 20 seconds. That means there are no objective standards. Basically, his objective standard is "the software."

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »
He is saying what the NSA and CIA do.  How the hell does he know?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 07:52:25 AM »
Owen screwed up there. It needs 20 seconds but can get by with less than 20 seconds. That means there are no objective standards. Basically, his objective standard is "the software."

Didn't he say 16 seconds?

And that was his reason for looping what he had to make into a 16 second tape.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
He didn't even have the complete tape?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »
Is Shellie in court, btw? Or any of Family Zimmerman besides Robert?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
State's first witness is Tom Owen.  This is a $3,300 day for him, on the taxpayer's of Florida dime.

Makes a dig at lawyers, joking.  He was considering becoming a lawyer, but didn't.  "The world doesn't need another lawyer."

He names off the organizations he started, and is a member of.  State starts to call him "Dr. Owen" then self corrects to "Mr. Owen."  He has testified in the state of Florida (not disqualified).  Owen's first client in this case was Orlando Sentinel, via Jeff Weiner.

Owen took up scream ID in 1985, using aural spectrographic methods.  He says even if the person is under duress, the spectrograms show identifiable signs.  Goes though example of speaking in higher pitch, but I don't understand his point or conclusion.  Says he uses critical listening in addition to spectrograms.

The software he uses wants to have 16 seconds and 20 words, but it can work with less.  So, he fed the same material in, twice.  Used Zimmerman's voice from the re-enactment when he said "help me" (not sure which reenactment).  The state asks "What are you trying to do?"  Owen answers that he was trying to find who was screaming, and Owen had no exemplar of Martin.  Owen describes EZ-Voice.  Comes from Russia, and is used to automate spectrographic analyses.

Easier to eliminate a person, via analysis, than identify.  Owen sent the state something the other day, I assume this is a preview of testimony.

Owen has a speech affectation, often saying "okay."  An average presenter.  Not interesting to listen to, wanders.  I'm going to listen to him, but probably no more notes until he's cross examined.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
He didn't even have the complete tape?

He's describing the work he did for Weiner at Orlando Sentinel.  That would have been done with mp3 files produced by the SPD.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
I still want to know how many times scream identification has been used in court.  I have never heard of it done before.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »
I still want to know how many times scream identification has been used in court.  I have never heard of it done before.

I have a problem with comparing honest screams of terror with a soft spoken reenactment.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »
Just as I suspected. He paid a foreign group to produce the software. His attempt at explaining GMM was laughable. He doesn't understand the algorithm enough to re-write the EVB software description into legible English.
I can't find where Owen has published his scream work anywhere.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »
Owen's conclusion that it was not Zimmerman's voice was obtained by noting absence of semitones in the scream recording, vs. Zimmerman's usual speaking voice.  He increased the pitch of the normal speaking voice to match the pitch in the screams.  With the basic pitch being equalized, the semitone peaks did not match, between the two samples.  Semitone is a musical term, that can be corrollated with "harmonics."  Generally, they are defined points between octaves of pitch.  With semitones, the octave is carved into 12 tones.  Harmonics naturally occur in vibrating objects, and the harmonics don;t necessarily land exactly on semitone frequencies.

Owen describes extracting "fscking punks" from the recording.  I don't know if this has any bearing on the testimony the state intends to have him proffer.

Sidebar after the state asks about Owen being contacted by the defense.  Long sidebar, just now breaking up.  First question is relative likelihood that the scream was Zimmerman.  Owen will explain from the latest EZ-Voice printout or report.  Zimmerman is a 33% match against the screams, 68% match against his voice(?)  Not sure what the precise references were.

State asks if its common for the experts to disagree.  Owen shoots himself in the foot by saying they are just like lawers, of course they disagree.  Direct exam over.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »
Owen said he compiled all of the screams and we heard his compilation. He assumes that all the screams are one person. How does he know this? Two other state witnesses say those screams are different people.

Site Meter
click
tracking