Author Topic: Live Updates, Day Two, June 11, 2013  (Read 17088 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Live Updates, Day Two, June 11, 2013
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
Here is a thread for live-updating (no commentary) of Day Two of jury selection.

There will be a separate thread for comments on today's proceedings.

Court begins at 9:00 a.m. ET.

Any registered user is welcome to contribute, and since I will be at work today, I hope some of you are available.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Live Updates, Day Two, June 11, 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »
Live feed is working.  Great Seal looks like it's rotated 5 degrees or so clockwise.

I looked at the docket sheet.  It's been updated through yesterday, and shows a plan by Nelson to complete the Frye hearing sometime during the week of 6/10/13.  There is no more specificity than that, sometime this week.

9:05 and no action.  The Great Seal is still hanging there.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
Talking heads on WFTV 9 have been explaining procedure. The 21 chosen yesterday will be in court. When one is dismissed, he/she will be replaced. I'm confused over whether the replacement is from the remaining 79, or the fresh 100.

One of the 21 has already been excused for  hardship.

The new 100 have filled out their questionnaires.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:28 AM »
While I was typing the last one, the talking heads were naming some people arriving. I think they said Trayvon's family is in court. Court video is still on the seal.

Talking heads mentioned the delay, but I missed it if they explained it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »
O'Mara questioning B-7.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
B-7 has served on a jury before.

Questions started with the usual media stuff. O'Mara is  talked about the judge instructing the jury.

Back to asking B-7 about conversations he has had.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:47:55 AM »
B-7 would remind other jurors of judges instructions, that only evidence presented in court is to be considered.

B-7 doesn't understand why the case got so much national attention. Seems like that kind of thing happens all the time.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
B-7 respects his father's opinion. His father disapproves of Zimmerman's actions, thinks the fight could have been avoided, GZ not necessarily guilty of murder.

B-7 would take the evidence over his father's opinion.

O'Mara exploring how comfortable B-7 would be talking to his father after the trial, if his father disagreed with the verdict. His father is 'moderate guy'.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:54:10 AM »
B-7 hasn't attended rallies for one side or the other.

B-7 lives in Sanford. He has been concerned about community reaction after trial. He doesn't know yet how he would handle it.

B-7 understands some people have an ideology, won't change their minds.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »
B-7 will be comfortable as long as his anonymity was preserved. Would be concerned if his identity became known.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »
O'Mara asks what if anonymity can't be preserved.

B-7 says it wouldn't affect his decision.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »
Talking heads on WFTV 9 have been explaining procedure. The 21 chosen yesterday will be in court. When one is dismissed, he/she will be replaced. I'm confused over whether the replacement is from the remaining 79, or the fresh 100.

One of the 21 has already been excused for  hardship.

I think another judge has eliminated many of the "100" that arrive each day.  Just saying, I don't think there are 79 available to draw from, to get 21.

Do you know if the one excused for hardship is the female ITT student who was interviewed by the press?  My impression is that she didn't make it through the first stage of winnowing, and was never considered for a trip to Nelson's courtroom.

Bernardo is interviewing a non-black male witness (9:22).  He's an NPR listener, among other sources of "news" information.  Watches local teevee 13 for news.  Infrequent consumer of teevee news.  Car radio is tuned to NPR.

His impression of the case is there is a shooter, there was a fight.  Zimmerman was the shooter.  Martin was visiting relatives.  He recalls discussion of SYG law.  He notes that a lot of people have taken sides, but he feels it is inappropriate for a situation like this to take sides.  He didn't like the way the news covered it, felt speculative, not all the facts were there.  He felt the news coverage was speculative both ways.  People should not be convicted in the court of public opinion.  Has not listened to any commentators, other than news reporters.   He had forgotten about the incident until he heard it on the NPR news yesterday driving in to the courthouse.  Hasn't heard enough to support his own forming of an opinion - he'd have to read the police reports (uh oh for the state).

He has been involved in conversation with family, colleagues.  His father is very interested in the case.  His father hasn't picked a side.  Inappropriate things were done by Mr. Zimmerman, but there was no malice.  Zimmerman was losing the fight and pulled the gun.  He recalls one point where a colleague spoke on it, maybe a three-way, one on one side, one on the other, and all three concluded they didn't have enough information.  He'd set aside what heard outside of court, in favor of what he heard inside of court.  Internet: facebook, Fark as an aggregator, ESPN.  Didn't click on Zimmerman case links "I was like I'm not going to waste my time on that."

O'Mara for the defense.  Lets the prospect know this questioning is just on pretrial publicity, and other questions may come up.  Brighthouse customer, teevee always starts on channel 13.  He's seen no courtroom video.  Why NPR?  I like talk radio, sports radio is silly, other stations are very political (NPR isn't?  Hahahah).  AM radio is Dianne Rheem.  I don;t know her format or biases.  Prospect does not remember the Zimmerman case being discussed on the radio.  he has a 10 minute commute.  First time he heard about the case was when it was front page of OS website.  He doesn't go the OS website any more due to paywall.  He guesses the paywall went up about a year ago.  His recollection of the tenor of reports is that it revolved around the SYG law.  He remembers when the law was proposed and debated, but doesn't know if was enacted by referendum or legislature.  O'Mara says he doesn't want to discuss the passage at this time, that will come up later.

He has served on a jury before.  Wasn't quite as ... (listener has to fill in the blank)  But he is familiar with jury instructions, and had no trouble following the court's instructions.

Lot of people think Zimmerman followed and attacked Martin on account of his race.  On the other side, Martin was looking for a fight.  He says, how do you know these things if you don't know these people?  He thinks it is extremely important to discard outside news for purposes of deliberation.  Important to only consider what is presented as evidence in the courtroom.  was there any one thing that stuck out in your mind about this case?  He doesn't understand why this case took on national proportion.  It seems this is the sort of event that happens quite often.

Honest answer to how many times he's heard about the case over 16 months: 40-60, mostly from the media, not from common conversation.  O'Mara goes back to conversations with his father.  Which side do you think your dad would take?  Fight could have been avoided, Zimmerman instigated, but that alone doesn't make him guilty of murder.  He takes his father's advice but doesn't always follow it.

Any concerns about going back to your community, Sanford, based on the results of this case.  Yes, what if I am chosen and a friend or family member is opposed, would that alienate?  How would you handle that?  Tell them what we learned, but he understands that people are prone to becoming invested in their own point of view.  He would be concerned if his anonymity was not preserved.  He would be concerned if his name was known now - he would be afraid that it would anger strangers, somebody might retaliate.  What are you going to do if you are selected, and your name is known afterwards?  A: What can I do?  Prospect says that pressure would not affect his decision making as a juror, but he has that concern.  O'Mara posits a finding that Zimmerman is guilty, are you okay going back home?  Yes. O'mara posits the opposite, that the finding is not guilty.  Q&A sort of breaks down, but concludes that external pressures would not affect the decision-making in the deliberation.

9:57 start of sidebar.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »
Side bar.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:01:25 AM »
I think another judge has eliminated many of the "100" that arrive each day.  Just saying, I don't think there are 79 available to draw from, to get 21.

Good point.

The talking heads were talking about 'the 79'. I picked it up from them.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
B-35.

Bernie questioning.

B-35 watches national FOX news, local news, gets news also from papers and radio.

B-35 watches Hannity, sometimes O'Reilly. Hasn't formed an opinion.

He's heard it was 'sort of a racial thing', GZ was 'out of bounds'.

Site Meter
click
tracking