Author Topic: Day Two Thoughts, June 11, 2013  (Read 6852 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Day Two Thoughts, June 11, 2013
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
Here is a thread to comment on today's jury selection proceedings (and any other matters that arise in court). For real-time updates see our Live Update thread.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Day Two Thoughts, June 11, 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
What are the Florida rules on jurors asking questions during a trial?  If it is up to the judge, what is Nelson's record on the matter?

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »
What are the Florida rules on jurors asking questions during a trial? 

Rule 3.371

(a) Judicial Discretion. At the discretion of the presiding trial judge, jurors may be allowed to submit questions of witnesses during the trial.

(b) Procedure. The trial judge shall utilize the following procedure if a juror indicates that the juror wishes to ask a question:

(1) the questions must be submitted in writing;

(2) the trial judge shall review the question outside the presence of the jury;

(3) counsel shall have an opportunity to object to the question outside the presence of the jury;

(4) counsel shall be allowed to ask follow up questions; and

(5) the jury must be advised that if a question submitted by a juror is not allowed for any reason, the juror must not discuss it with the other jurors and must not hold it against either party.

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »
I think one of my questions on the other thread was about the 100 potential jurors and if they are being dismissed before being questioned, my thought was based on the questionnaires but I don't know, regardless apparently that is the case as Rene Stutzman tweeted:

"Court system reports Mon. 40 potential jurors were dismissed without being questioned by attys, 1 after."

https://twitter.com/renestutzman/status/344499834050469888

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
D-Man, I wrote a long post on what I think is going on with jury procedure. It's here.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
Does anyone know what today's totals were? How many interviewed, how many seem to be going on to round 2? Who's out?

And when she starts the "real" voir dire? Is it after 21 have passed this round?

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
day 1
B12, M, F
B29,F, B or H
B30, M, W
B76, F, W

day 2
B7, M,W
B35, M, B
B37, F,W
B51, F,W
B55, F,A
B65, F,B
B86, F,W
E6,F,W
E40,F,W
E54,M, W

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
Does anyone know what today's totals were? How many interviewed, how many seem to be going on to round 2? Who's out?

And when she starts the "real" voir dire? Is it after 21 have passed this round?

The process is still opaque.  Diwataman prepared a list of interviews so far.  I don't know of a reliable source for which of the interviewees have been sent home.

B12 a white female
B29: light-skinned black woman
B30: white male[dismissed]
B76, middle aged white female
B7, middle aged white male
B35, black male
B37, white female
B51, older white female
B55 is a 20-something Asian woman
Juror B2, a middle aged white female, being questioned at bench, indicating personal issue judge thinks should not be aired in public.
B65, a middle aged black female
B-86, middle aged white female
E-6, white female
E40. White woman in her 60s(Rene Stutzman tweets)
E54 white male, maybe 50 (Pipitone tweet)

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
Binomial tests of sample so far assuming Seminole demographics W=66.3%,H=17.1%,B=10.5%

W: 10 of 14: 78% chance of random occurrence
B:  2 of 14: 65% chance of random occurrence
H: 1 of 14: 48% chance of random occurrence

Racially, the jury pool is a very close cross-section of Seminole county. This is great news.

F: 10 of 14: 18% chance  of random occurrence
if we take out juror B30
F: 10 of 13: 9% chance  of random occurrence
Females appear to be preferentially selected in this jury process.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
What about B-2, the juror who was called up to the bench with the big purse. Orlando Sentinel said she had an issue which the judge said shouldn't be discussed in public after which she picked up her big purse and left. Seems like she is gone.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
Females appear to be preferentially selected in this jury process.

By the time we look at "the pool," it is far from random.  This subset is selected based on self-proclaimed non-bias, and at least some winnowing for "hardship," maybe other factors as well.  Plus the original pool is people with drivers licenses.  Is that where your original demographic percentages is drawn from?

No question, females are over-represented, but we don't know (and it probably isn't so) that their sex is a contributing factor, per se, into the over-representation.  IOW, their sex doesn't produce the preference, something else(s) does.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
By the time we look at "the pool," it is far from random.  This subset is selected based on self-proclaimed non-bias, and at least some winnowing for "hardship," maybe other factors as well.  Plus the original pool is people with drivers licenses.  Is that where your original demographic percentages is drawn from?

No question, females are over-represented, but we don't know (and it probably isn't so) that their sex is a contributing factor, per se, into the over-representation.  IOW, their sex doesn't produce the preference, something else(s) does.
My language was imprecise and I should have not used "pool". The statistical question I am asking is: Based on the sample thus far, are the various proportions of the population in Seminole county different than the proportions in the population of jury members making it to the first oral courtroom interviews. I am using data for the overall population of Seminole for comparison. So mvd registration is one factor that may make the two populations different. There are obviously many other factors that may make the populations different. As a scientist I just think it is important to first establish that there is a difference in these populations. If there is a difference, one can speculate as to why, and then drill down further with more hypotheses and data.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:14:06 PM by jjr495 »

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
My language was imprecise and I should have not used "pool". The statistical question I am asking is: Based on the sample thus far, are the various proportions of the population in Seminole county different than the proportions in the population of jury members making it to the first oral courtroom interviews. I am using data for the overall population of Seminole for comparison. So mvd registration is one factor that may make the two populations different. There are obviously many other factors that may make the populations different. As a scientist I just think it is important to first establish that there is a difference in these populations. If there is a difference, one can speculate as to why, and then drill down further with more hypotheses and data.

I'm sure there is a difference.  The people that appear for questioning are a selected subset of the general population.  I think the MVD demographics differ from the general population, but for talking purposes I'm comfortable assuming they are exactly the same, except for the size of the population.  Drivers being a subset of "everybody in the county."

I'm not surprised at all that the demographic breakdown of the group that appears for questioning is different from the demographic breakdown of the general population.  Similar factors may be at play to explain why the demographics of prison population do not match the demographics of the general population.  There is a sort of "self selecting" going on.  In this jury selection process, only those that claim relative freedom from bias and low exposure to Zimmerman/Martin news are questioned.

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
Plus the original pool is people with drivers licenses. 

If Florida's DMV issues non-driver photo id's, then  these people could also be selected for a jury summons, right?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
If Florida's DMV issues non-driver photo id's, then  these people could also be selected for a jury summons, right?

Yes, I think so.  Good point, too.

Site Meter
click
tracking