Author Topic: Jury Selection Procedures  (Read 5542 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Jury Selection Procedures
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
I am outraged that a lady had to explain in public that her brother died of brain cancer a few years ago and she is taking care of his teenage sons.

Who says she had to? My recollection is that she volunteered that.

If people want to keep information private, they can ask the judge to hear it in private. That's already happened at least once.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
What I mean is that very complete electronic background checks could be compiled for each juror before open court proceedings.  Then, based on that information, the lawyers and judge in private could agree on whom should be stricken.  I also think they could have given each juror enough space on the questionnaire to explain their problems with respect to serving - time, sequestration, fear, etc.  No need to spend hours and hours of court time on it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
What I mean is that very complete electronic background checks could be compiled for each juror before open court proceedings.

Thanks.

I figured it out myself with a little more thought, and edited the question out of my post. But I appreciate you taking the time to explain. 

I also think they could have given each juror enough space on the questionnaire to explain their problems with respect to serving - time, sequestration, fear, etc.  No need to spend hours and hours of court time on it.

Did some of the potential jurors indicate that lack of space on the questionnaire was an issue?

I thought some of them just recalled things they had forgotten to mention at first.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
If this 1 pager is what they used, there isn't enough room to explain fully their difficulties in serving.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:03 PM »
If this 1 pager is what they used

Clearly it wasn't

We know that on the questionnaires, the candidates synopsized what they had heard about the facts of the case. There's no such question on the 1 pager.

We know that the questionnaires were sorted by Question 4. On the 1 pager, the fourth question is the last residence before the candidate's current residence. That hardly seems like a crucial question.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
If this 1 pager is what they used, there isn't enough room to explain fully their difficulties in serving.

There is also no such question on the 1 pager.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »
I thought the judge said she added questions to  the standard form.. She may have just added the media question and made it question #4.

If that's the only questionnaire she used, and both parties submitted their own, I think she essentially rejected the use of a case-specific questionnaire.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
At some point during voir dire, de la Rionda mentioned a 'part' of the questionnaire that dealt with hardship. To me the word suggests at least more than one question.

I'm thinking that many trials are expected to be short, maybe a single day, and of course without sequestration. I'm thinking that jurors who have such special circumstances that they can't serve a single day, might be screened out before they get to the questionnaire. That would explain why the standard questionnaire has no hardship question at all. 

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
Today, BDLR said that at least one of the sequester questions (I have no idea how many there are) was Q5 of P2. He made the same comment last week.

On second thought, though, I seem to have to same recollection. He first misstated that Q5 was P1 and there was some other things there that seem to match your impression.

Site Meter
click
tracking