Author Topic: Robert Zimmerman, Sr. Launches e-Book on Amazon  (Read 8251 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Robert Zimmerman, Sr. Launches e-Book on Amazon
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
Florida v. Zimmerman: Uncovering the Malicious Prosecution of my Son, George

This book describes how and why my son, George Zimmerman, has been charged with the crime of murder.

Obviously the remarks are being heavily trolled.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: Robert Zimmerman, Sr. Launches e-Book on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »
I think it was a horrible decision to release the book now. He should have waited until the trial is over. It's just fodder for the prosecution. Reports of the book's repeated claim of the reverse race card being played will be picked by anti-Zimmeran sites and spread around, potentially increasing the prejudice to the jury pool.  This is as bad an idea as was Osterman's book and more dangerous, because it's on the eve of trial.

(Please don't discuss the substance of the racial claims here, I've worked too hard to keep these forums and this site free of the social debate on race. There are plenty of other sites to debate that on.)

He should have waited until after the verdict to publish this book. If I were O'Mara, I'd be seething.   

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
Obviously the remarks are being heavily trolled.

What strikes me is all the 'reviewers' who wrote one or two sentences about the book, then commenced prattling about their own theory of the case.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 03:13:29 AM »
The 'reviews' are overwhelmingly 5 star and 1 star. Almost nothing in between.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 03:32:40 AM »
I think it was a horrible decision to release the book now. He should have waited until the trial is over. It's just fodder for the prosecution. Reports of the book's repeated claim of the reverse race card being played will be picked by anti-Zimmeran sites and spread around, potentially increasing the prejudice to the jury pool.

Just on principle, that's a sad reflection on the state of the law, and race relations, in this country.  Very directly, its an admission that criminal law can successfully be used to extract illegal revenge.  If that were not so, your fear would have no foundation.  The illegal revenge, first enabled by the state, comes from increasing the number or resolve of potential stealth jurors.  I haven't read the book, but I speculate that it points out that the prosecution of Zimmerman is lacking probable cause, and was driven by widely reported false claims.

I think the damage (to the state of the law and race relations) was already done, book or no book.  But the state will never be able to obtain a conviction.  I think a clear majority of jurors will follow the evidence and the law.

You are right that the revenge-minded folks, and they are numerous, will be energized by this book.  It's hard to tell if that improves or damages the chances of a stealth juror getting by the court's filter.  It takes only one stealth juror to cause a hung jury.

At the same time, the book also energizes those who have been viewing the case with more or less clear eyes.  I have never been more angry at what the political players have done to an innocent man, using what used to be a steely-eyed and fair institution.  The state, and its court system, have become the enemy of the people.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:15 AM »
The first review I've found that has anything interesting to say.

ThinkProgress, Judd Legum 

Left-leaning site, very negative about the book, but at least discussing its contents.

Zimmerman Sr. says that because of Holder’s decision to investigate whether Trayvon Martin’s death violated federal civil rights laws, the FBI did not have “adequate resources to investigate clearly identified potential terrorist [sic] in the Boston area.” Now, “tragically, we have suffered the consequences of Mr. Holder’s politically motivated decisions.”

At the Amazon site there are one 2-star and one 4-star reviews. No 3-star review. I read both of them, they are as worthless as the 1-star and 5-star 'reviews'. I've given up on finding any information about the book on that page.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:46:00 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:07:30 AM »
I've given up on finding any information about the book on that page.

Heh.  The book is four bucks.  Just buy it if you are curious what it contains.

I think the press treatment of it, and ThinkProgress is part of that, will be similar to the press treatment of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.  All of the Zimmerman's are targets, and Robert, Sr. just made himself a bigger one.

a popular Russian saying was "v Pravde net izvestiy, v Izvestiyakh net pravdy" (In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 05:26:14 AM »
The book is four bucks.  Just buy it if you are curious what it contains.

I'm cheap.

I think the press treatment of it, and ThinkProgress is part of that, will be similar to the press treatment of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.  All of the Zimmerman's are targets, and Robert, Sr. just made himself a bigger one.

IMO the press gave SBVFT a lot more respect than they deserved. But that's off topic.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
I'm cheap.

IMO the press gave SBVFT a lot more respect than they deserved. But that's off topic.

I'm cheap too.  Just saying that if you want to know what's in the book, the book is the best source.

As for SBVFT, my remarks wasn't on respect, it was on whether or not the press accurately recapitulated the contents of their book.  IMO, it did not.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 05:33:20 AM »
I haven't read the book, but I speculate that it points out that the prosecution of Zimmerman is lacking probable cause, and was driven by widely reported false claims.

I read a bit of what's being said at CTH, and it seems the book has a note thanking them for their support.

The impression I'm getting is that the book is more in the CTH vein that the TalkLeft vein.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
Has anybody actually read this or any other book on the case?  I haven't been able to find any reporters/writers who add anything worthwhile to what I read on this forum.

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
I'm assuming that the book was published now to raise money for the Zimmermans, although I agree that it doesn't help his attorneys.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
This thread is about Zimmerman's book, not the jury system. Ricky, please stop changing the subject and stop trying to backdoor  your thoughts on our legal system vs. others  into your comments.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words. The book is now the top featured article promoted by AOL . The article is based on the Think Progress review which lists the race comments in the book with no context and has the headline "George Zimmerman’s Father Says The ‘True Racists’ Are African-American". It also has a graphic of GZ using that headline. I doubt many prospective jurors would have seen the Think Progress piece, but now that it is the lead story on AOL, it's far more likely they will.

Really dumb in my view to publish this book now. There are far more people who will be offended by that headline, which they will take as an accurate reflection of what RZ is arguing, than will be supportive.

Again, keep your comments to the publication of the book and its effect on the trial, not the validity or invalidity of the alleged arguments contained in it.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:37:06 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
Really dumb in my view to publish this book now. There are far more people who will be offended by that headline, which they will take as an accurate reflection of what RZ is arguing, than will be supportive.

Well, if the people believe the press (and most of the jurors claimed they didn't), and those people can't prevent that from influencing their deliberations after being admonished to take only what is submitted into evidence, then we have lost our legal system.  Court becomes a farce.

It could complete the act by rendering a conviction.  That would be a lesson to anybody who dares to speak their mind.

Site Meter
click
tracking