Author Topic: Robert Zimmerman, Sr. Launches e-Book on Amazon  (Read 9327 times)

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Robert Zimmerman, Sr. Launches e-Book on Amazon
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
It has really opened up a dialogue at huffington post. If it causes people to investigate the facts of the case further for themselves, then maybe that is a silver lining. Incidentally, beneath the headline and photo on the HP story there is an email sign up titled "Get black voices alerts" which seems divisive in and of itself. I can't imagine a "Get white voices alert" even being considered, let alone tolerated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/15/george-zimmerman-father-african-americans-racist_n_3447025.html

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »
It has really opened up a dialogue at huffington post.

I'll bet!   Hahahah.  Not sure I'd refer to the remarks as "dialog."  It's good for people to have a new target to vent their anger at.  Robert sure did increase his own personal threat level.

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »
     OK, you cheapskates, I bought the book and just finished reading it. NMNM, you are right -- this book is very  much in the vein of the CT, not TL. Here are some points:
     1. He criticizes MOM for not being more outspoken about GZ's innocence in the beginning of MOM's representation of GZ. Otherwise, he praises him and especially likes Don West. I think it's very bad strategy to criticize a lawyer who is representing your son for free (so far). I also find this worrisome because the CT has been critical of MOM and it seems to be suggesting that it will be even more so soon.
      2. The book doesn't appear to be edited at all and is full of typos and such. Of course, that hurts RZ's credibility.
      3. It begins with RZ talking about his boyhood, marrying Gladys, George's growing up, etc. I was struck again by how horrible it was that he, his wife and his mother-in-law had to flee their home soon after he was treated for a heart attack.
      4. Any sympathy generated, however, is squandered later when he talks about the lack of coverage of black-on-white crime. Of all people, he should know to be suspicious of what the media initially reports about a crime. I Googled a couple of cases he mentioned, and what was known early on changed later.
       5. As you might expect, he strongly praises his son. He considers TM to have been a troubled youth, but doesn't describe him as a "thug" or anything similar.
        6. He discusses the Martin Lee Anderson case, which I think is very enlightening about how Ben Crump and others have handled this case.
         7. I think he goes too hard on Obama and Holder. Considering the rallies and marches, I think they had to investigate the racial aspect. I haven't seen any evidence that Obama and Crump are particularly close.
         8. I found it helpful for him to recount all the misinformation spread by those who think GZ committed murder. But his recounting doesn't have enough citations.
          9. Although he accuses some prominent African Americans of racism, he makes it clear that he isn't talking about all AAs, and sort of bends over backwards to cite black people who disagree with the prosecution and who like GZ.
         10. His belief that whites are rarely biased against blacks these days will hugely hurt his credibility.
          11. Whoever told him that publishing this book was a good idea and whoever read it before publication deserves a dunce cap in the corner. 

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
Thanks Suzie.  So how many stars do you give it?  I am sure your review would go immediately to Most Helpful if you posted it on Amazon.  John Galt of CTH gave me a review of another Kindle book on the case so no need to read either.

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
It would get only 1 star from me because it is so poorly done. I'm hoping MOM & Don West will write a book.

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words. The book is now the top featured article promoted by AOL . The article is based on the Think Progress review which lists the race comments in the book with no context and has the headline "George Zimmerman’s Father Says The ‘True Racists’ Are African-American". It also has a graphic of GZ using that headline. I doubt many prospective jurors would have seen the Think Progress piece, but now that it is the lead story on AOL, it's far more likely they will.

Really dumb in my view to publish this book now. There are far more people who will be offended by that headline, which they will take as an accurate reflection of what RZ is arguing, than will be supportive.

Again, keep your comments to the publication of the book and its effect on the trial, not the validity or invalidity of the alleged arguments contained in it.

I thought at first it was a bad idea to put it out now as well but then I read it and all that concern went away, this one won't be making a state's supplemental, lol. The headlines are nothing new as race has been an injected part of the conversation since day one, if it wasn't none of us wold be here talking about this case.

I think I've said all I really care to say about the book itself on my blog.
http://diwataman.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/florida-v-zimmerman-uncovering-the-malicious-prosecution-of-my-son-george/

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
     NMNM, you are right -- this book is very  much in the vein of the CT, not TL.

See, I didn't need to read it.   ;D

Seriously, thanks for doing this.

From your review, it sounds like the book isn't quite as bad as I feared. But Obama is a popular president. Attacking him, especially on a racial issue, doesn't strike me as a way to win new friends. He could have been judiciously critical of one remark, without coming off as someone with a political agenda beyond his son's case.

Does he say anything about the Republican governor of Florida?

I would also say it's counterproductive to complain about the federal investigation that has so far produced lots of evidence that George isn't racist. Complaining about being investigated makes it look he has something to hide, or thinks George does.

Come to think of it, I think this can all be explained by a different hypothesis about his motives. I don't think the purpose of the book is to win over people in the middle. I think it is to raise money from the kind of people who have already been contributing, across the country. That's why he's more interested in attacking national figures like Obama and Holder, than in discussing the real events in Florida politics that brought on the prosecution. Criticizing Republican leaders wouldn't win much, if any, support from Democrats, and might alienate some of the support they already have.

I haven't read DiwataMan's review yet. I'll be going there soon.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
It would get only 1 star from me because it is so poorly done. I'm hoping MOM & Don West will write a book.

If you post the review at Amazon, you might want to grade on a curve and give it 2. A 1 one star review has come to mean 'I didn't need to read it, I knew I would hate it because I think GZ is guilty.' Of course the counterpart for 5 stars.

There are links for calling up all the reviews with a given number of stars. It's easy for someone like me to check out all the middling reviews to see if any of them are more substantive.

ETA: That an uncurved grade would be only 1 star could be explained in the body of the review.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:44:14 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
      That's true about a 1 rating.
      RZ jumps all over Rick Scott and Angela Corey. One oddity about the GZ case is that the same person can be outraged by everyone from the Tea Party to leftists.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
Come to think of it, I think this can all be explained by a different hypothesis about his motives. I don't think the purpose of the book is to win over people in the middle. I think it is to raise money from the kind of people who have already been contributing, across the country.

It's too late to edit, or I would have just added this to the comment. I thought the same about George's motive for doing the Sean Hannity interview.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
Not sure what your point is but with over 5000 comments and counting, cherry picking a few and reporting them here serves no real purpose.

I didn't cherry-pick. IMO those comments are representative. I read several pages, including the earliest and latest.

Would you post a few representative comments of what you consider to be useful 'dialogue'? Because I didn't see one.

ETA: I mean the reply comments are typical of such comments. Most of the comments aren't replied to.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:53:35 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Please don't bring trash talk here from other sites. I don't want them associated with me or my sites. I deleted the comments quoting and re-quoting them. Thanks. I also asked readers not to recount or debate the substance of the book,  particularly their view of the validity or invalidity of RZ's thoughts on race, since it doesn't affect the legal case.

Posting about the effect the book may have on the case is fine, but debating what it says is better taken to other sites.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
I think I've said all I really care to say about the book itself on my blog.
http://diwataman.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/florida-v-zimmerman-uncovering-the-malicious-prosecution-of-my-son-george/

Well, that was disappointing.

I know you didn't say you would review the book, and I apologize for presuming that. But I was expecting a little more explanation for why reading the book allayed your concerns.

The headlines are nothing new as race has been an injected part of the conversation since day one

The headlines aren't saying that race is part of the conversation. The headlines attribute to Robert Sr. views that I don't recall being associated with him in the past. Even if he has expressed such views in the past, or has been alleged to, he is now said to have published them in a book. That would be new.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:13 AM »
I'm hoping MOM & Don West will write a book.

I expect that at least one of them will.

So far there are at least two books by participant lawyers in the Casey Anthony case, one by Baez and one by a junior prosecutor.

In the O.J. Simpson case many, I think most, of the lawyers on both sides wrote books. Some of them, notably Johnnie Cochran, didn't say much about the case. They took the opportunity to get some cash and attention for their life stories.

[TalkLeft: deleted gratuitous, slanderous reference..]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:02:24 AM by TalkLeft »

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »
Well, that was disappointing.

I know you didn't say you would review the book, and I apologize for presuming that. But I was expecting a little more explanation for why reading the book allayed your concerns.

The headlines aren't saying that race is part of the conversation. The headlines attribute to Robert Sr. views that I don't recall being associated with him in the past. Even if he has expressed such views in the past, or has been alleged to, he is now said to have published them in a book. That would be new.

Lol, yes, nothing much to say really, it is what it is.

I'm not worried about this book as I don't see anything to impeach with as that would be what the prosecutor would look for.

I'm not going to argue the race stuff anymore here as I don't think Jeralyn want's that on here, you're always free to discuss race on my blog though.

Site Meter
click
tracking