Author Topic: Live Updates, Day 7, June 18, 2013  (Read 11856 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Live Updates, Day 7, June 18, 2013
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
Bernie again.

H-69 says people getting killed happens all the time, it's a fact of life.

Bernie harping on that.

This was after the sidebar. I'm not sure if H-69 used the word 'killed' here. Later she indicated she hadn't or didn't mean to. Maybe Bernie used the word and she assented.

When H-69 first said these things happen all the time, or something like that, I thought the remark was banal, not worth recording. I was taken off guard when it caused led to such an uproar.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:28:31 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
I'm done for the day.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
Thank you NM-NM, great job.

Court will resume at 1:10 pm ET
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:02:27 AM by TalkLeft »

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
I'm home today and watching the feed so I'll give this a shot.

There is what sounds like a young man..  cannot recall the juror ID (letter/number).

This is midway through Bernie's questioning

juror says it will not be a hardship for him.  stuff I recalled from earlier, he is a college student, knows a bit about the case.  Thinks that the media coverage has favored Trayvon.  He has ot made up his mind.  Bernie done.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »
O'Mara up.  Explaining to juror why they are questioning him.  Main purpose to see how juror may have been influenced re: the case. 

Mentioned that he heard about case at school.  Juror heard about the case .. he is a HS student.  Heard basic knowledge about George shooting Trayvon.  Heard Trayvon didn't have anything "dangerous on him".

Asking about conversations at school re: case.  Says only one conversation, in a class.  The conversation was about whether Trayvon did anything suspicious.  His classmate had asked if he had heard about the case.    This was the first time the juror had heard about the case.  Some students said Trayvon was innocent and Zimmerman had no right to pursue.  No other student contradicted, this.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
Juror stated he never formed an opinion... not now, and not when he first heard of the case.  Juror went home then and watched the news and discussed case with his mom.  After watching the news, found Zimmerman had shot unarmed Trayvon.  The news had stated that Zimmerman had followed Martin.  Now being asked if he understands what neighborhood watch is and his opinions re: it.  He has a basic understanding and has no pre-formed opinions of N. watch.  Did not watch much news re: the case following initially.  There were some other school conversations.  I think he said that he brought it up, and the consensus was still in those conversations that Trayvon was not guilty of anything.  Stated that going back to his junior year in high school, that he had about 5-6 conversations.  Bernie objects and O'Mara rephrases, asking if other conversations were consistent with the first.  Potential juror states no, that some thought Zimmerman killed Martin in self-defense.  From media exposure, P. juror heard Martin had broken Zimmerman's nose.  States that Trayvon Martin had felt scared and attacked Zimmerman or used some object to attack.  Learned this from TV.  Did not discuss this with classmates.  Thinks it was summer and that is why there was no discussion.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
Thanks cashmere. I was late for this afternoon. I'll check back in here between candidates in case you have to drop out.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:44 AM »
Discussing P juror's discussions re: case with his mom.  Mom said Zimmerman killed unarmed Trayvon.  This was the first day.  Following, they did not discuss this much, except if she had the news on they might discuss the case.  He doesn't remember details.  Asked if he has expressed support for Zimmerman or Martin, signed petitions, donated, and the same asked about his mom.. all answers were no.  Asked about conversations this year.  He can't recall any, nor does he recall any organizing re: case at school, answer: no.  Asked which % at school thinks Zimmerman is guilty.  He says 70%.  Does not connect himself with that group (who believes Zimmerman is guilty).  He saw pictures of Zimmerman on the news.  Post arrest photo.  Picture soon after he was arrested that night..cannot describe clothing.  Has seen pictures of Trayvon Martin, a picture when Martin was younger, he looked younger and the pot. juror thinks Martin was 17 when he died.  He only recalls one picture.

Asked if he recalls anything more, recordings, etc.  He did hear the conversation between Zimmerman and the police.  O'Mara states they will refer to it as the non-emergency call, and pot. juror heard a few phrases from it.  He remembers that Zimmerman was following and the police said "they didn't need him to do that".  This made him think it was improper of Zimmerman to follow Martin.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
I'll let NMNM take over -- Thanks - this is exhausting!

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
OOPS - My bad -- I'll keep going -- Still same juror (I missed a bit).  But I heard something at one point about the potential juror knowing Trayvon was wearing a hoodie.  O'Mara just confirmed that he does not think his mother ever donated $ for the case.

O'Mara is done and Judge Nelson asked the attorneys to approach the bench.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
potential juror is I-19.  Bernie questioning.  This pot juror sounds like a young female.

She knows bare minimum -- what she has heard from her mother, does not watch news.  Mother told her nothing beyond that Zimmerman potentially (or allegedly) killed Trayvon.  She was paraphrasing her mother.   She recalls seeing photos of Zimmerman and Martin on the news just in passing by, the "mug shot", orange shirt.  She has seen various pics of Martin.. something with a hat, can't really remember.  Doesn't recall anything else that her mother has mentioned re: the case (in court, etc.).  She does not watch the news.

If someone came to town, what would she tell them if asked.  She said just what she already mentioned.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2013, 12:12:45 PM »
I-19 and BDLR:

I-19 is female - sounds young and white. Just knows bare minimum about case from mother. "Zimmerman potentially killed Trayvon Martin." Heard about it around time of incident. Doesn't know much more. Remember seeing photos of Zimmerman and Martin. Zimmerman mughot. Him looking at a camera and frowning. No others. Saw pictures of Martin with hat. Has not seen recordings and videos. Has no interest in watching news.

Would not have anything to say if asked about case. Has no interest news. Cannot form opinion without facts. Boss is extremely interested in case. No real discussion about facts. Has FB but doesn't use it to communicate about case. Doesn't have any care about case. Never really watched the full story. Can't remember details. Walking past TV might have heard headlines about it. Heard about memorial services for Martin.

Lack of pay would be hardship. Lives with mother. Doesn't know how she will pay bills if picked on jury. Boss is jealous and would rather be there instead of her. Boss and girlfriend try to be a part of jury duty. Boss said it could go either way regarding guilt.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
She has not formed an opinion in the case.  Her boss is VERY interested in the case, but she hasn't discussed it with her boss.  She has Facebook, but does not research the case.  She doesn't use any news feeds on FB.  She may have run across things re: the case online, but just disregards, doesn't take the time to read.  Can't remember what she first heard about it.  Probably heard it from her mom as she walked by the TV.  She remembers hearing about the memorial service for Trayvon.  When she found that she had jury duty, there was no discussion that it might be the Zimmerman case.  Asked about hardship due to being sequestered.  The hardship she has is that she has to work.  She lives with her mother.  She gets paid hourly and if she is continuously at the courthouse, she could not work and it is a hardship.  Her boss is jealous because she wants to be at the trial, very interested in the case.  Boss (a female) and her girlfriend go out of their way to get picked for jury duty.  Boss has not stated an opinion, but has said that the case could go "either" way.  Bernie is done.  Oops, he's not...Bernie asking whether they can accommodate at work at all... there was a shift change today for her to appear.  Bernie is asking her to ask the owner whether they will help her out in a manner that she can fulfill her civic duty.  Owner is not her boss.

Now Mr. West...

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
Mr. West is now questioning...West asking about missed work thus far, she estimates about 2 work days missed.  Confirms she only gets paid by the hour.  West asks if she is stressed, no, she is just cold.  Asked about what hardship she has without working and she stresses that it is paying her bills.  West states 2-4 weeks and indicated this is from when the trial starts, not including jury selection.  This worries her very much, but she can ask her family and at work to see if anyone will help her out.  Work has already stated they will not pay her while she is on jury duty.  States again that she would not be able to pay recurring bills and it would be very tight and unfortunate for her without her income for a month.  Still being asked if mother or friends could help with her bills, does not think her mom can help (she pays no rent), perhaps her grandparents can help, but they are retired and she doesn't know.  At this point, she can't do jury duty on her own and does not know if she can get help.  She may have an answer to this by tomorrow (Wednesday).

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
West continued... now asking about her knowledge of the case.  Potential juror agrees she is in the category f knowing "something".   Asked if she avoids the news?  Yes, can be sad... interested in other things.  She does other things with her time.  Asked about channel 13 (think she does, but doesn't have any knowledge of the case from ch13).  She doesn't use the internet for news or t follow the case.  She has a brother (think age 16).  She did not discuss the case with her brother, nor was there any discussion between she and her mother re: the similar ages between her brother and Trayvon.  Asked more about what her mother mentioned.  Just that a boy was shot.  Asked if her mother mentioned names, not really, but she has heard the names..can't help but hear it.  Asked why her mother found it worth commenting to her about.  She does not know why her mother brought it up other than that it was such a big case.  Community reaction stuff...  Heard that there were walks in honor of the deceased, but not much more.  Mother did not discuss community reaction with her.

Site Meter
click
tracking