Author Topic: Another View of the 40 Moving On  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Re: Another View of the 40 Moving On
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »
Welcome to the board, AP. I agree - your previous post raises some great points. I think it still worthwhile to compare this venire to the overall population (even considering selection bias) just to get a feel for the fairness or at least the perception of fairness of that process.

The final jury is a tougher nut - the small sample size and the advocate's selection of which jurors to strike make it much less useful - though I guess one could still glean information from the comparison as a complete hypothetical.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Another View of the 40 Moving On
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
What no one here seems to have taken into account is the age and citizenship demographics of Seminole County. The census numbers are for all persons, and includes those too young to serve on a jury and those who are too old. Also, the census counts non-citizens and felons, who, as far as I know are not eligible to serve on a jury.

I presume, but have no data, that each demographic group has a different percentage of young (or very old) people. That would certainly skew the data. Just my 2 cents. Although I don't generally post here, I certainly do appreciate the high level of discussion on TalkLeft and have been following this case closely.
An excellent first post.
I agree with your comments. One could go back to the raw census data and modify the numbers we have been using in the manner you suggest.

Site Meter
click
tracking