Author Topic: Live Updates, Day 9, June 20  (Read 14404 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Live Updates, Day 9, June 20
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
Did MOM really just pull a firearm out of his suit jacket?

I don't think so, but I was listening and typing. I should have thought to grab a look.

ETA: From the reactions of the others, I don't think he had a gun. It sounded like he was using props and discussing hypotheticals.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:36:59 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
O'Mara asking if anyone has concerns about pressures. No answer.

Does it matter that Trayvon was 17, black? Jurors respond that everyone is equal before the law.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
ETA: From the reactions of the others, I don't think he had a gun. It sounded like he was using props and discussing hypotheticals.

I wasn't watching, but I think he was just using his hand, no prop.  Index finger out, three fingers curled into palm, thumb up, it's a gun.  All four fingers out, it's not a gun.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
12:44 PM

Nelson repeating admonishments before lunch break.

Lunch, 12:45-2:15.

Nelson is giving them a long lunch because she and lawyers have other work to do.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
I wasn't watching, but I think he was just using his hand, no prop.  Index finger out, three fingers curled into palm, thumb up, it's a gun.  All four fingers out, it's not a gun.
He used his smartphone as a prop to represent a gun. He put the smartphone in his inside jacket pocket to represent a concealed gun.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:54:06 AM by jjr495 »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »
Nelson talks about Frye hearing, issues about peremptory and for cause strikes to be settled.

Recess 12:48-2:00 PM.

ETA: Talking heads on WFTV.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:50:41 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
He put something metallic on the counsel table - must have been his phone. I agree that the Twitter reaction doesn't support what I thought.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
I got behind before the lunch break. I'll try to recapitulate.

O'Mara talked for a long time about the jurors not forming opinions until they had heard all the evidence. He asked if they would agree that it was hard to do, but that they would do it. He got two or three of them talking about what their thought processes would be during this time. He reminded them they wouldn't be allowed to discuss the case among themselves until they were sent to deliberate. He said that he needed them not to form opinions, because once formed they were are hard to change. Finally, he asked them again to agree to the two points, that it was hard to do, and they would do it anyway.

Then he asked if any of them had any concerns about being able to have a fair trial. He specified a fair trial for GZ, and for the state and the Martins.

He asked if they could face TM's family if they acquitted Zimmerman. A male juror answered at length, that he would always feel sorry for their loss, but he had to acquit if he believed it was the right thing to do.

Sometime around then, Nelson was suggesting they could break for lunch and O'Mara could continue after lunch. O'Mara assured her he was almost through.

I don't recall exactly how O'Mara wrapped up.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »
He put something metallic on the counsel table - must have been his phone. I agree that the Twitter reaction doesn't support what I thought.

I think at one point he said something like that if he really pulled out a gun, the deputies would be hauling him away.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
I mentioned earlier the WFTV talking heads, talking about all four community rep. pastors sitting behind the seats for TM's family. I didn't have time to finish that. They were explaining that the court had decided that, as part of the overall seating arrangements. The space behind GZ's family is reserved for the media.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
I'm done for the day.

Thank you, to all who participated.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
A juror points out that a wavering abiding doubt is a contradiction.

That should have been 'wavering abiding conviction'.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »
NM-NM, amazing job of recounting, thanks so much. 

Court's back, challenges for cause.

Bernie objects to juror P-67
O'mara objects to strike
Bernie's reasons: letter he had his wife wrote, financial hardship
acknowledged internet access by relative, he was aware of what was put on the internet, he has limited comprehension of English language, said serving would be a nightmare

O'Mara  responds.

court: keeps him denies for cause

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
Moving pretty quickly through prospective lists of 6 jurors offered by the court, each side given an opportunity to make peremptory strikes, new/modified list of 6 ...

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
O'Mara seeks a gender neutral reason be given by the state, as the state has stricken four females in a row.  The state gives it's gender neutral reason, O'Mara rebuts the reasons as being pretextual, Nelson says the reasons are not pretextual and allows the state's peremptory strike.  Awareness of Martin being expelled is the state's reason for the second one struck.  O'Mara says that if this is the standard, then anybody who heard of the case has provided reason for strike.  Nelson says the fact that half the venire is female explains the state's striking of four females in a row.  O'Mara says that other jurors having similar awareness were not stricken.  Bernardo says the awareness of expulsion distinguishes this strike.  Nelson finds the strike is gender neutral and is not a pretext.  Next is E-6.  The state offers its gender neutral reason ... and so it goes.

Site Meter
click
tracking