Author Topic: The Final Jury  (Read 2969 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
The Final Jury
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »

The final jury for the trial of George Zimmerman
All six jurors are females.
Five are white, one is either Black or Hispanic.
According to media present for jury selection, who were able to view the jurors, four of the jurors are in their 50's or older, one appears to be in her 20's and one in her 40's.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: The Final Jury
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:51 AM »

Crump and Sharpton are being uncharacteristically mild on the racial composition of the jury.

Sharpton quoted the prosecution's racial characerizations, which make B-29 'hispanic or black'. Crump described the jury as 'five white women and one Hispanic'.

Crump

[Trayvon Martin's family] are putting their faith in the justice system, and they pray that it doesn’t fail them.

And with the makeup of this jury—five white women and one Hispanic— it's gonna be, the question, can every American get equal justice, no matter who sits on your jury panel?

Sharpton

And, I would hope that we get fairness. I think, though, that we must deal with what the obvious is, in terms of what the county demographics are, what is on the jury. But we don’t think people can be fair or unfair based on who they are. But we think the system ought to always be questioned as to what we're doing.

I thought there would be fireworks if the jury wasn't generally perceived as having at least one African-American. It looks like they are waiting for the verdict.

Offline teresainpa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »
I completely reject the idea that this jury can not be fair just because it is not made up of more black members. I think a visit to any blog discussion of this case among a group of white folks will get you a diverse group of opinions.  TM has no better friends than guilty white liberal middle aged women.
Of course if GZ is found not guilty, the fact that there were no African Americans on the Jury will be used to say he got away with murder and then who knows what will happen. At the very least we will have to listen to multiple people opine about how racist we still are as a nation.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
B-72 is out, for undisclosed reasons unrelated to the case.

Confirmed by tweets from Rene Stutzman and Kathi Belich.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »
good, I think 20 year olds are his worst age group.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »
I am crushed by E-76's departure.   :(  He is Phi Beta Kappa even though he works as a maintenance man.  During voir dire he asked why professional panels aren't used.  Of course he didn't get an answer.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
there is no E-76. Who are you talking about?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
E-72 of course.   :-[

Site Meter
click
tracking