Author Topic: State's 18th Supplemental Discovery  (Read 6656 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
State's 18th Supplemental Discovery
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
The State's 18th Supplemental Discovery is now posted on GZLegaCase.com.

It comprises:  Emails from defendant; two legal textbooks.

I suspect the textbooks and the college professor may be to show GZ was aware of the provisions of self-defense law, so may have tailored his interview answers in order to claim self defense.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: State's 18th Supplemental Discovery
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
Haven't GZ's grades been made public?  If he flunked the class, this evidence might favor the defense.   :D

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
For what it's worth, it looks like Criminal Justice in Action - 4th Edition was published in 2008, and Criminal Law and Procedure for Paralegal : A Systems Approach - 3rd Edition was published in 2005. Criminal Justice in Action is now in its 7th edition; Criminal Law and Procedure seems to be in its 4th edition.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
An `A' in Criminal Litigation but a `D' in Criminal Justice.  Which would cover self-defense defense?

I believe the deposed professor, Gordon Pleasants, didn't teach GZ's Criminal Litigation class. I have no idea if the professor who did was also listed as a state witness.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
Could anyone help me with the indexing scheme of the discovery? Only C and K.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
Haven't GZ's grades been made public?  If he flunked the class, this evidence might favor the defense.   :D

No they haven't. The state released them by mistake and then recalled them.  (I have a copy but since they are not public won't disclose what's in them.)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
Comment with disparaging gratuitous insult to prosecutor deleted.  There is no need for that.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »
We are in the trial phase now. I'm going to move this to the evidence topic of the trial forums.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »
We are in the trial phase now. I'm going to move this to the evidence topic of the trial forums.

Hopefully there won't be much in the way of inadmissible, but discoverable, evidence; coming into view while we are in the trial phase.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
The State's 18th Supplemental Discovery is now posted on GZLegaCase.com.

It comprises:  Emails from defendant; two legal textbooks.

I suspect the textbooks and the college professor may be to show GZ was aware of the provisions of self-defense law, so may have tailored his interview answers in order to claim self defense.
I am trying to come up with something he said during an interview that would prove he had knowledge of the details of Fl 776.  So far I haven't thought of anything.  Can anybody help?  Thanks.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »
I am trying to come up with something he said during an interview that would prove he had knowledge of the details of Fl 776.

IMO that would be a waste of time.

You can take that for what it's worth. I've spent some time with those interviews.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
I believe the deposed professor, Gordon Pleasants, didn't teach GZ's Criminal Litigation class.

It seems he his presently teaching two courses, a general intro, and a course on domestic violence and stalking. He may have been teaching another course when Zimmerman had him.

What's your basis for thinking he didn't teach the litigation class?

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Pure Speculation 1: The professor may testify and/or authenticate emailed homework that shows Zimmerman had knowledge of SYG statute, then contrast this with Hannity interview where Zimmerman asserted he had never heard that phrase before incident. The purpose would be to show that Zimmerman made a conscious and informed decision to tailor his claims to fit statute, then lie about knowledge of statute.

Pure Speculation 2: Something in his homework is similar to his assertions and the state will claim his fabricated story was prompted by those examples.

Pure speculation 3: Somewhere in his coursework, Zimmerman used a "he reached for the gun" or "he was smothering me" example.

Less Dramatic Speculation: The state will use his coursework to rebut or explain away Zimmerman's spontaneous statements, asserting that they were calculated to achieve a desired effect that he has previously studied.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
If he flunked the class, this evidence might favor the defense.   :D

It might help the prosecution if he flunked a class covering citizen arrests, or false imprisonment (Fla. Stat. 787.02).

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

Perhaps Serino's comment that he sounded "scripted?"

I don't think we'll be hearing from Det. Serino in the state's case-in-chief. That bridge, for whatever reason, has suffered catastrophic failure from fire.

Site Meter
click
tracking