Author Topic: Media Commentary  (Read 2225 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Media Commentary
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
This thread is for your thoughts on media commentary during the trial.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Media Commentary
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:20:53 AM »
This thread is for your thoughts on media commentary during the trial.

If it's going to be like most media commentary so far, my thoughts on it will be unprintable.

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Fred Grimm, a columnist for the Miami Herald, wrote:
"Civic leaders ... might want to start planning. Zimmerman may well walk. The reaction could be ugly."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/01/3479949_p2/prosecutors-play-george-zimmermans.html

I find this interesting because the Miami Herald seemed quite biased against GZ for a long time. 

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
This is no OJ or Casey Anthony.  The daily lottery sometimes can give everybody who enters a ticket for the courtroom.  I have a hunch that worry about what will happen after an acquittal is excessive.  Is the local black media devoting themselves totally to the case?

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »
I've always felt that televising the trial would moderate the impact of an acquittal. If GZ walks, many people will understand why, including many of those who at first were riled up by narrowly tailored propaganda, and the perception that racist police were protecting a man who, if not obviously guilty, obviously, in their view, should go to trial.

No black jurors, and exclusion of the voice experts, will be points for flogging. We'll see how much impact that has.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
Jose Baez no longer represents Serino, according to the Miami Herald article linked by SuzieTampa. First time I've heard this.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:29:31 AM »
This conjures up an image of Ahab on Zimmerman's head ...

"He was whaling on my head," Zimmerman told Sanford police Investigator Doris Singleton about 1 1/2 hours after the shooting.

Way to go, Rene Stutzman and Jeff Weiner!  I want to know, what color was the whale?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »
Jose Baez no longer represents Serino, according to the Miami Herald article linked by SuzieTampa. First time I've heard this.

A few interesting admissions, not news, in that article.  This paragraph caught my eye, especially the last sentence where the writing suggests Serino's credibility is at risk.  The intended meaning or effect on the reader isn't clear to me.  Is it to suggests that Serino's credibility favorable to Zimmerman is at risk, and the manslaughter charge was righteous?  Or that the suggestion to press manslaughter charges was, as the article says, not one that Serino adopted without reservation?

I know, and some other people do (but the press doesn't, and the public doesn't) that the so-called manslaughter recommendation from Serino is based on and depends on the law being that guilt can be found using the avoidance principle, in particular that Zimmerman could be found guilty of manslaughter because he "could have stayed in the truck."

I will be shocked if the press ever points out the fatal flaw in the Serino affidavit.

Serino has called the events that unfolded “avoidable” and had recommended manslaughter charges against Zimmerman. The 15-year veteran later told FBI investigators that he was pressured by black officers into filing charges and did not believe there was enough evidence to support charges. That shift in stance could raise questions about the credibility of the law-enforcement witness in the murder trial.

Edit to add link, different article from SuzieTampa: Investigators take the stand in George Zimmerman murder trial - Miami Herald - July 1, 2013
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:43:15 AM by cboldt »

Site Meter
click
tracking