Author Topic: Day 1: Opening Statements, June 24, 2013  (Read 29068 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: Day 1: Opening Statements, June 24, 2013
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
He didn't want to make waves, so he didn't discuss it with anyone else. He doesn't know how O'Mara found out. He thinks the deputies were told because it was a security issue.

Court ruling that Tracy can stay will stand. Court says no objectionable conduct in the courtroom that she observed. She doesn't find the witness' testimony relevant.

The Martin's can stay, and while either is there, Crump cannot be.
Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerman are excluded so long as they are on the state's witness list.

Court in recess. Will resume with State's first witness. New thread up for first witness. This thread will remain open for comments about opening statements.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
I believe W8's name is spelled "Rachel Jeantel."

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
The biggest factual difference that I noticed in the opening is the forensics on the gunshot. Guy said that Z pushed the gun into Martin's chest. West said the forensics will show that the gun was contacting M's clothing, but there was separation between the clothing and the chest. Is this going to be a debate between different forensic experts? If West is correct, it places M on top of Z when the gun was fired, and it means the State incorrectly stated a very important piece of evidence in the opening.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
Is this going to be a debate between different forensic experts?

If it is, it will be a debate between the state's expert and the state's expert. Again.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
If you need to use shorthand for either Trayvon Martin's family or George Zimmerman's family, use something neutral like TM's family or GZ's family, not a word that appears insulting.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
It appears Crump will not be allowed in as long as Trayvon's family is in, since they don't need a rep if they're there.

Elder TM cursed at someone.

[Edited by TalkLeft to change abbreviated form of Trayvon's family to full words. Please don't use shorthand that appears derisive.. Also removed reference to Zimmerman's family as they were not the object of the alleged curse. It was a friend of GZ's who had attended court.]

It wasn't a family member, but O'Mara said it was. I'm pretty sure he wasn't ID'd as a family friend until he was being crossed.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
The biggest factual difference that I noticed in the opening is the forensics on the gunshot. Guy said that Z pushed the gun into Martin's chest.

Did Guy cite any specific forensic evidence for that?

I know he didn't the first time he said it. It was just one of his dramatic flourishes. I thought he might have mentioned it again at some point.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2013, 03:17:59 AM »
YouTube

Part 1, 1:07:46

Part 2,  1:48:05

Part 3, 57:18

Part 4, 1:23:11

Part 5, 31:19

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2013, 04:54:29 AM »
On the issue of excluding the Zimmerman family from trial for purposes of not giving them an opportunity to conform their testimony to previous disclosures, the court might be asked to consider the testimony the family members will be asked to give.  If the testimony is only as to whose voice is heard screaming on the 911 call, the exposure to competing testimony is already known, and sequestration serves no purpose in insuring a fair trial.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #249 on: June 25, 2013, 05:04:33 AM »
If the testimony is only as to whose voice is heard screaming on the 911 call

That doesn't seem likely, since George's parents are prosecution witnesses.

I don't know if either party can be required to disclose to the court what it plans to ask its witnesses. If not, it wouldn't do for the court to make decisions based on assumptions about that.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
I'm increasingly optimistic that Zimmerman will be acquitted. The weakness of the prosecution's opening statement is the latest reason for that.

Three points stand out for me.

Curses and Lies
Ladies and gentlemen, the truth about the murder of Trayvon Martin is going to come directly from his mouth, from those hate-filled words that he used to describe a perfect stranger, and from the  lies that he told to the police to try to justify his actions.

He cursed Trayvon Martin and he lied to the police. That's the heart of their case. Add some disputes about forensics and it's almost the whole of their case.

Motive
And we are confident, that at the end of this trial, you will know, in your head, in your heart, in your stomach, that George Zimmerman did not shoot Trayvon Martin because he had to. He shot him for the worst of all reasons. Because he wanted to.

Because he wanted to?

I had been listening with anticipation, expecting a one sentence summation of the prosecution's theory of Zimmerman's motive. It turns out Guy's explanation for why he did it amounts to, 'beats the heck out of me.'

In the beginning it seemed he did have a theory.

More Specific Motive
. . . and someone who believed, most importantly, that it was his right to rid his neighborhood of anyone that he believed didn't belong.

I don't know of any evidence that supports this. One of the people Zimmerman reported, who was later convicted of a burglary, did live in the neighborhood. Zimmerman's problem, as far as I can tell from all the evidence I have studied, was with people who committed crimes, not people who 'he believed didn't belong.'

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
I haven't gone back and listened again to what role Rachel Jeantel will play in proving the prosecution case.  I doubt it was more than a sentence or two. 

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
I listened to all of Guy's opening statement for my last post in the thread.

I think the only substantive points he made about Jeantel were that she heard Martin say 'What are you following me for' (he fixed the grammar), and the time the call ended.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
Guy said Martin 'walked out the door' of the 7-11 at 6:24, 'and he started walking home in the rain.' Guy skipped over 5 minutes in the parking lot, and didn't mention Martin's departure from the view of the 7-11 camera at 6:29.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
The 711 cashier testified that there were no cameras outside the 711.  Was he mistaken?  I don't recall the footage between 6:24 and 6:29.

Site Meter
click
tracking