Author Topic: Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend  (Read 57003 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:44 AM »
The mystery is over. The state and the defense both disclosed today that Witness 8, formerly referred to by the media as "Dee Dee", who was on the phone with Trayvon Martin shortly before he was shot, is Rachel Jeantel. She is 19  and was 18 at the time Martin was shot. Both sides apparently expect her to testify.

Please do not attack her character here. Such comments will be deleted. Unless it is confirmed that her twitter account is really her's (it only goes back to Feb. 2013) please don't link to it. As of tonight she only has 32 followers and o Facebook, only 30 friends. She apparently went to Norwood High School and is studying (or was studying) criminal justice at a college.

You may discuss her credibility, her prior interviews, her prior false statements, her relationship to Crump and her interviewe with him, and once she is called. if she is called, her testimony. 

Don West spent a significant amount of time during his opening on her. He said they had been talking regularly on the phone for about 3 weeks. They were friends, but not boyfriend and girlfriend.  He pointed out that in her pre-trial statements, she said TM was the one who confronted GZ (What are you doing around here/)

He focused on the timing of her last two calls with Martin and  the end of GZ's non-emergency call, the 911 call by Jenna Lauer (W 11) and the gunshot.

He said Rachel and Martin hung up 30 seconds before Jenna called 911, and  the gunshot was 4 0 to 45 seconds into Jenna's call.

The state and the defense agree on the times of the calls. GZ's call with non-emergency ended at 7:13:40.  Rachel's call with Martin ended at 7:15: 43.  Jenna called at 7:16:10.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:02 AM »
Guy, unlike West, did not emphasize that Rachel and Trayvon were not a couple. He did refer to her as a 'friend'.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:54:22 AM »
In his opening statement, Guy mentioned that Chad only asked for Skittles, and the fruit juice was for Trayvon. That, and it being fruit juice rather than tea, will be impeaching of Rachel.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:15:12 AM »
Crump, maybe in violation in a court order that he be sequestered, gave a televised interview to Anderson Cooper last night.  Cooper asked if Rachael was the same person Crump interviewed in March, 2012.  I haven't seen the interview, but have read that Crump's answer was evasive.

Assuming she takes the stand for the prosecution, will the prosecution enter the handwritten statement, what de la Rionda refers to as a "letter, given to Sybrina", into evidence?

It would be a challenging chore to come up with a comprehensive list of "good questions" to ask on cross exam, and direct exam if the defense decides to call the witness.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:25:16 AM »
My recollection is that Guy only mentioned Rachel briefly in passing.  Can anybody recap exactly what he said she would do for the prosecution's case?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:11 AM »
Rachel's call with Martin ended at 7:15: 43.  Jenna called at 7:16:10.

The interval is 27 seconds.

Jeremy Weinberg estimated that Jenna started calling about 15 seconds after he first heard 'scuffling'. That would have been just after the shouting, which Jenna heard but Jeremy apparently did not. Of course, we all know that estimating time intervals is not something humans are very good at.

For my computer I have earmuff headphones with a carrying pouch. I found that taking them off and stowing them takes about 10 seconds if I do it deliberately, 6 if I rush.

ETA: This is with the carrying pouch loose on the desk. I have to hold it open and in place while getting the headphones into it. Shoving them into a pocket would probably be faster.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:48:11 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »
I thought they were found on the ground

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »
The interval is 27 seconds.

Of course, we all know that estimating time intervals is not something humans are very good at.

You forgot to insert the "in my opinion", because I happen to be able to estimate time passage with an almost painful accuracy. My father was the same way.

Therefore, "we all know" is false.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »
I happen to be able to estimate time passage with an almost painful accuracy. My father was the same way.

Has it been your experience that this ability is common?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:59:21 AM »

Out of the dozen or so people I can think of off the top of my head, a couple of them can't keep time in their heads. I haven't done an exhaustive study of it, I'm just saying that you might want to not say it as a definitive statement.

But do as you please!  ;D

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
I'm just saying that you might want to not say it as a definitive statement.

I take the point.

I'm more interested in the question of how much significance to give a witness's testimony on such a point.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:12:55 AM »
To get really off topic, on a documentary, the late pianist Artur Rubinstein claimed he could start a symphony playing in his head and take a few phone calls and other interruptions and pick up the symphony at the point it would be playing if he hadn't been interrupted.  8)

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »

It was my experience that during my days as a radio announcer/disk jockey/commercial producer I got much better at it and that having been away from it for almost 20 years I'm still better than before I started in the industry but not nearly as good as when I was active.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
If the hollerin' didn't start until right at the end of Trayvon's last call, which ended later than I previously suspected, I'm impressed with how quickly W11 got on the phone.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
West mentioned something about the first phone W11 picked up to call didn't work and she had to get another one. He said that only took seconds though.

Site Meter
click
tracking