Author Topic: Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend  (Read 73164 times)

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend
« Reply #420 on: July 15, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »
She now claims "cracka" means security guard or cop to her and Trayvon. So Trayvon knew the stranger  was  security of some sort and that is why he stalked, confronted and attacked ZIMMERMAN?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #421 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
Yes even though her LAwyer prepped her well she does not come off as particularly bright oe honest. I hope she gets a taste for money

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
She now claims "cracka" means security guard or cop to her and Trayvon. So Trayvon knew the stranger  was  security of some sort and that is why he stalked, confronted and attacked ZIMMERMAN?

That's very interesting. I wonder if she considered the implications.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #423 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Perhaps ironically, this new definition of cracka harks back to the supposed origin of cracker, i.e., the guy with the whip who keeps people in line.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #424 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:24 PM »
Perhaps ironically, this new definition of cracka harks back to the supposed origin of cracker, i.e., the guy with the whip who keeps people in line.

Well, at least if you believe that old story, which sounds a lot like something someone concocted that an actual etymology. According to a fairly thorough article, the origin isn't certain, but it probably derives from a very old term for a braggart.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »
Well, at least if you believe that old story, which sounds a lot more like something someone concocted than an actual etymology.

I can't believe how I can read something several times, and still overlook obvious errors.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »
Well, at least if you believe that old story, which sounds a lot like something someone concocted that an actual etymology. According to a fairly thorough article, the origin isn't certain, but it probably derives from a very old term for a braggart.

I was of the opinion that the term "supposed origin" indicated my awareness that it is not universally accepted as the one and only source of the word.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2013, 02:39:37 AM »
I was of the opinion that the term "supposed origin" indicated my awareness that it is not universally accepted as the one and only source of the word.

Sorry if it seemed like I was criticizing you; I didn't intend it that way. I realize you weren't stating it as a fact, but I've heard it stated as a fact on TV several times in the last few days, and took the opportunity to  put in my two cents. I've got to admit, phony etymologies like that are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2013, 04:35:30 AM »

How did she get from her revised meaning of "cracka" to rapist? 

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
According to a fairly thorough article, the origin isn't certain, but it probably derives from a very old term for a braggart.

An interesting feature of that theory, is that in colonial America it was a derogatory term used by other whites for a low-status sub-group, the Scots-Irish frontier settlers (possibly my ancestors, btw). If so it may reflect an ancient cultural difference. Bragging on oneself was customary among Celtic peoples, but felt as offensive by the English.

But the true origin may have been forgotten by the 1760's, and 'braggart' just the earliest attested folk etymology.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2013, 04:58:46 AM »
According to a fairly thorough article,

The funniest theory, is that it means a white man who supplies a certain illegal substance to black customers.

I think the person who suggested that was kidding.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2013, 05:02:39 AM »
I can't believe how I can read something several times, and still overlook obvious errors.

I think it's a carryover from how our brains process spoken language, filtering out errors to get at a speaker's intended meaning. Effective proofreading requires a conscious effort to overcome that. (Not that I can claim to be a source of wisdom on the subject of proofreading.)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #432 on: July 16, 2013, 05:03:52 AM »
How did she get from her revised meaning of "cracka" to rapist?

That's the creepy-a* part.

I think RJ clarified that in her trial testimony.

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #433 on: July 16, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
BLDR asked RJ if cracker/cracka meant a white person.  RJ said yes.

Just my opinion but a possible reason to revise the meaning  could be someone is worried GZ  may sue TM's estate or request DOJ to open a hate crime investigation.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #434 on: July 16, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
BLDR asked RJ if cracker/cracka meant a white person.  RJ said yes.

As I watched the interview with Piers Morgan, I thought maybe three or four times that RJ was contradicting her trial testimony.

Site Meter
click
tracking