Author Topic: Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend  (Read 73161 times)

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
Re: Rachel Jeantel (Witness 8) Trayvon's Phone Friend
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
I thought she was at her least articulate. Some time after the 13 minute mark, I gave up in exhaustion from the effort of extracting meaning from the words she was saying. Did she say anything of interest after that?

At the beginning she said she expected the media attention because she 'had been watching last year', contradicting her testimony that she doesn't watch news (0:20).

I agree I think she started out with confidence then realized that despite her coaching , that her answers were not being accepted as gospel.

JMO

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #451 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
The transcript of Jeantel's conversation with Piers Morgan is here: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1307/15/pmt.01.html

Morgan said, "Nobody knew him better than you." That seems unlikely. I know his relatives have been interviewed, but I haven't seen any other friends interviewed.

"MORGAN: What the defense again tried to paint a picture of is somebody who -- because of the drug use, that would make him more violent." That was never said in the trial, of course. Do y'all know if MOM or West ever said the marijuana would make him more violent?

She also said that what she wrote on social media was just bragging, but it wasn't true. I'm guessing this refers to drugs and alcohol.

She said she had an underbite so severe that she had to have surgery and she still needs another surgery. She said that causes her speech problems. I think that could cause her to talk softly, perhaps out of embarrassment.  But that doesn't explain other problems in communication.

It was awkward when Morgan asked her to spell "cracker," and then jumped in when she hesitated. I'm not saying she doesn't know how to spell, but it certainly seemed like Morgan wasn't taking any chances.

In response to GZ's statement that TM was walking slowly, looking around, she explained that he was "lazy." OK, sorry, I know you can read this for yourselves, but I can't stop myself. In regard to GZ following TM ...

MORGAN: And he was freaked out by it?

JEANTEL: Yes. Definitely after I say may be a rapist, for every boy, for every man, every -- who's not that kind of way, seeing a grown man following them, would they be creep out?

She also said, "And people need to understand, he didn't want that creepy ass cracker going to his father or girlfriend's house to go get -- mind you, his little brother was there. You know -- now, mind you, I told you -- I told Trayvon it might have been a rapist." 

I know this tracks what others have said, but I think this is the first time that she has suggested this. I wonder if she means that he decided not to go home, or that he somehow wanted to stop GZ from getting to his home.

Personally, I didn't think West was ever rude to her. But Morgan suggested West was very aggressive, and Jeantel said, "He got to get that check. It's all about that check." It drives me nuts when so-called journalists don't correct misinformation by saying, for example, West hasn't been paid.

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »
At the beginning she said she expected the media attention because she 'had been watching last year', contradicting her testimony that she doesn't watch news (0:20).
RJ speculated that GZ might have started the physical struggle by trying to grab TM, after which TM might have swung a punch (10:06-11:27).
Her story changes every time she is interviewed. Now we learn that GZ didn't push TM, and TM probably threw the first punch. And she has been watching the media since last year.  I originally thought MOM was correct that she was primarily just an embarrassed and reluctant witness who was coached into saying certain things, but I now think Jeralyn had her personality correctly pegged from the beginning. She is 19 and doesn't view herself as an adult. Thus, she feels she has no responsibility for any of her words or actions. I guess her world will implode in a few months when she turns 20.
It is interesting that many think she has been charming and engaging in her post-verdict interviews. I thought more highly of her when she was on the witness stand.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #453 on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
Jeantel: I think Trayvon threw the first punch
Before she heard a push, then grass, then "get off, get off". Now it's a grab by GZ then a punch by TM. Unbelievable.

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #455 on: July 17, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
JEANTEL: Yes. Who's acting like a policeman and then he keeps telling me that the man still watch him. So if it was a security guard or a policeman, they would come up to Trayvon and say, do you have -- do you need -- do you have a problem, do you need help? You know, like normal people.

MORGAN: And if George Zimmerman had done that, if he'd introduced himself as a neighborhood watch patrolman, even though he was off duty, if he'd done that, what would Trayvon have said to him, do you think?

JEANTEL: No, I'm just trying to get home. I'm waiting for the rain to slow down so I can go catch the game, the all-star game.

Doesn't this contradict her earlier statement that TM asked what GZ's problem was and GZ responded by asking what TM was doing around there?

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #456 on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »

"And people need to understand, he didn't want that creepy ass cracker going to his father or girlfriend's house to go get -- mind you, his little brother was there. You know -- now, mind you, I told you -- I told Trayvon it might have been a rapist." 

And TM did not bother to call Chad to say lock the doors and call 911 NOW, There's a creep azz cracker rapist on the loose. 

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #457 on: July 17, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #458 on: July 18, 2013, 06:28:24 AM »
The transcript of Jeantel's conversation with Piers Morgan is here: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1307/15/pmt.01.html

Do y'all know if MOM or West ever said the marijuana would make him more violent?

My recollection is that the defense said they had studies to show that MJ sometimes made people violent. IOW, I think their argument was 'could', not 'would'. But we can hardly expect such fine distinctions on cable news.

They also suggested impaired judgment. But ultimately they decided not to put anything about MJ before the jury.

She also said, "And people need to understand, he didn't want that creepy ass cracker going to his father or girlfriend's house to go get -- mind you, his little brother was there. You know -- now, mind you, I told you -- I told Trayvon it might have been a rapist." 

I know this tracks what others have said, but I think this is the first time that she has suggested this.

I'm sure it's the first time for RJ to suggest this.

This explanation for TM not going home has been on the internet for ages. I don't recall anyone involved in the case suggesting it, until John Guy went there in his closing rebuttal argument (live-blog 1, 2). That's the last word that the state gets because they have the burden. The other side doesn't get to answer, so it's a good time for the dumbest arguments.

Neither Guy nor RJ claimed that TM said that. RJ saved the speculation for a soft-ball interview after her testimony, where she wouldn't be asked if TM told her that, or if she ever asked him why he didn't go home.

It's inconsistent with RJ's trial testimony, in which she said that she thought TM was at his house and his father would come out to help him (live-blog, including the next post).

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #459 on: July 18, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »
As I watched the interview with Piers Morgan, I thought maybe three or four times that RJ was contradicting her trial testimony.

any details to add in that regard?

Video

Transcript

8:41
RJ: And then, I'm finding out, two days later, he dead. And then I have to be, by a friend telling me, 'Oh, do you know, he died at seven seventeen.' And I had to look at my phone. My phone say seven sixteen.

My recollection is that RJ contradicted herself about this in her trial testimony. When she was explaining why she didn't go to the wake, she would say she felt guilty because of being the last person to talk to TM (live-blog). When she was explaining why she didn't come forward sooner, she said she didn't know she was the last person to talk to TM. That was the point she was making when she mentioned the TV show 'The First Forty Eight'. (Live-blog, including next post.)

I would like to know who told RJ that TM 'died' at 7:17. TM's death certificate said 7:30, the time he was pronounced (133/184).

Approximate TOD: 1930

Singleton's timeline had 7:17:20 for the gunshot (39-40/184). That's a bit off the currently accepted time of 7:16:56, but either rounds to 7:17.

From the police reports, it seems that Serino had the Singleton timeline in time for his 2/28, 10:30 AM meeting with Tracy (40/184). But was this information widely disseminated that very day?

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #460 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »
JEANTEL: Yes. Who's acting like a policeman and then he keeps telling me that the man still watch him. So if it was a security guard or a policeman, they would come up to Trayvon and say, do you have -- do you need -- do you have a problem, do you need help? You know, like normal people.

MORGAN: And if George Zimmerman had done that, if he'd introduced himself as a neighborhood watch patrolman, even though he was off duty, if he'd done that, what would Trayvon have said to him, do you think?

JEANTEL: No, I'm just trying to get home. I'm waiting for the rain to slow down so I can go catch the game, the all-star game.

Doesn't this contradict her earlier statement that TM asked what GZ's problem was and GZ responded by asking what TM was doing around there?

Absolutely. But it fits with what numerous TM supporters and the prosecution have said-- "If only George had identified himself as NW, none of this would've happened"-- and she seems all too willing to rewrite history to fit whatever plays best.

And saying on CNN that TM pegged GZ as some sort of security guard-- in a gated community with "Neighborhood Watch" signs posted-- raises another issue.

There's a FL statute specifically protecting NW:
843.20 Harassment of participant of neighborhood crime watch program prohibited; penalty; definitions.—
(1) It shall be a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, for any person to willfully harass, threaten, or intimidate an identifiable member of a neighborhood crime watch program while such member is engaged in, or traveling to or from, an organized neighborhood crime watch program activity or a member who is participating in an ongoing criminal investigation, as designated by a law enforcement officer.
(2) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person which causes substantial emotional distress in that person and serves no legitimate purpose.
(b) “Organized neighborhood crime watch program activity” means any prearranged event, meeting, or other scheduled activity, or neighborhood patrol, conducted by or at the direction of a neighborhood crime watch program or the program’s authorized designee.
History.—s. 2, ch. 2004-18.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/843.20

---

And thanks for the link to the CNN transcript, SuzieTampa.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #461 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »
I thought some of RJ's answers to Piers Morgan were exquisitely revealing.

Video

Transcript

15:44
PM: Did he ever show any interest in burglaring houses, or -

RJ: What he want to burglary for? He supposed to have left that night, that day anyway. So, why he wanna burglary for? He don't even live there, he don't know nobody there. He only know his brother, or his stepbrother, and his father, and his father's girlfriend.

I wouldn't call that responsive to the question.

17:17
RJ: I had a feeling it was gonna be a not guilty, so.

PM: Because of the make-up of the jury? Do you think it was just wrong, that you had no black people on the jury at all?

RJ: Not that. They don't understand, they understand - oh, he was just bash, or he was killed. When somebody bash somebody, like blood people, trust me, the area I live, that's not bashing. That's just called whoop ass. You just got your ass whooped. That's what it is.

I take it that the 'area' RJ shared with TM features regular, casual violence.

23:18
PM: What, what is your view of George Zimmerman?

RJ: Weak. Scary. Hiding. From him, his father.

PM: Why do you say that?

RJ: If you were a real man, you would of stand on that stage, and tell what happened.

I take it that RJ equates masculinity with recklessness.

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »

RJ: If you were a real man, you would of stand on that stage, and tell what happened.

Maybe if GZ had Francine (?)  write a letter (in cursive) it would have satisfied her.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »
Does anyone remember if W8/DeeDee/Rachel/whoever ever used the construction "so and so 'came and' did such and such" at any time after the 3/19/12 interview with Crump?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #464 on: July 20, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
Does anyone remember if W8/DeeDee/Rachel/whoever ever used the construction "so and so 'came and' did such and such" at any time after the 3/19/12 interview with Crump?

She used it a few times in the de la Rionda interview (4/2/12), I think usually in present tense, if that matters.

I've just discovered that my link to that interview no longer works. I did a quick browse of YouTube without finding a replacement.

According to my notes, there is an example after about 9:20.

He say he not gonna run, because, I could've known he not gonna run, because he out of breath. And then, he come and say the guy getting close to him.

Site Meter
click
tracking