Author Topic: Jenna Lauer (Witness 11) and Jeremy Weinberg (Witness 20)  (Read 14186 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Jenna Lauer (Witness 11) and Jeremy Weinberg (Witness 20)
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
I don't recall the exact words O'Mara used. I thought he only asked if she'd witnessed GZ scream or display anger, but perhaps he also asked if he seemed to be a hothead. What he didn't do, I'm quite certain, is ask about GZ's reputation in his community. Even if O'Mara asked if Lauer perceived GZ to be a hothead, I don't see why that opens the door to reputation rebuttal evidence. BDLR could have objected to improper opinion evidence, since a witness's opinion of the defendant's character is inadmissible.

Logically, once Lauer said she was aware of both the restraining order and the arrest, the reputation rebuttal evidence should be inadmissible, anyway. The supposed purpose of bringing up specific bad acts is to demonstrate the character witness has an insufficient basis for evaluating the defendant's reputation. If the witness is aware of the specific acts before offering the testimony, it can't rebut the notion that the witness had a sufficiently broad basis for the opinion.

That said, Nelson will likely allow it. That's what she does. If the reputation rebuttal evidence comes in, I wonder if the defense will call genuine reputation witnesses.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:45:06 PM by MJW »

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
That said, Nelson will likely allow it. That's what she does. If the reputation rebuttal evidence comes in, I wonder if the defense will call genuine reputation witnesses.

In the presser after today's exciting presentation, O'Mara said that he has no concern about the state bringing in the restraining order and hands on an officer complaint/charge.  It didn't seem like bluster, but who knows.  If he's prepared to rebut the state on those past issues, I take it he'll have witnesses; and we get to have "mini-trials" without decisions, so the jury can assess the gravity of what the state puts out as past wrongs of Zimmerman.

I think it would be good to go there.  It will give the jury a more rounded picture of Zimmerman.

As for public perception, not that there is a substantial amount of anti-Zimmerman chatter driven by the state's airing of these encounters with the legal system, but it's out there.  This is the best venue Zimmerman will ever get to air his side of the story, for whatever that is worth.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
She does follow Robert, Jr. on Twitter. He's one of 112 people she follows. She also follows Snookie and the other Jersey Shore cast members, numerous celebs, and Mitt Romney. She has never tweeted a single tweet.

More interesting that she's friends with Frank Taafe on FB.

She and Jeremy are also friends with John Good's wife on FB.

I don't see anything at your link but I find it hard to believe she'd tell a blatant lie like that in court. Almost everyone knows what perjury is from decades of cop and court shows.

And O'Mara was looking at the screen over her shoulder. Wouldn't he have been bound as an officer of the court to agree with Bernie if he'd see it?

But what do I know. I'm not a Twitter person other than the couple of sports reporters I follow by going to their name @ twitter dot com.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
She does follow Robert, Jr. on Twitter. He's one of 112 people she follows. She also follows Snookie and the other Jersey Shore cast members, numerous celebs, and Mitt Romney. She has never tweeted a single tweet.

More interesting that she's friends with Frank Taafe on FB.

She and Jeremy are also friends with John Good's wife on FB.

It's good to know the state considers Facebook and Twitter reliable sources for evidence.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:00:29 PM by Redbrow »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »

I took this screengrab before it went down. I moved up the some of the entries so you can see clearly they were on the "following page" -- in other words, these aren't the order the names were in but they were all on the following page.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »

Bernie wants JL to stay under subpoena.

Bernie is doing a proffer. He asked JL if she followed Robert Jr. on social media

I'm not sure I know what a 'proffer' is, but I thought it was important to record, so that the better informed can enlighten the rest of us.

In a jury trial, is a proffer something that is always done out of the presence of the jury?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
I think Jenna gave her interview with Serino that established she thought the arguing noises started on the north side of her house, went around to to the dogpath and then to John's lawn, long before she started to follow RZ JR. on Twitter.  So the prosecution doesn't gain much, as far as the GZ case by impeaching her about Twitter.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
He wanted to demonstrate to the jury that the witness was partial to Zimmerman.

He went off half-cocked.

Or maybe someone in IT, looking for a little payback for the suspenced whistleblower, half-cocked him.

: - )

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
Bernie asks if she could identify Zimmerman as the person calling for help.
JL replies that she wasn't sure because she hadn't heard him yell like that at any of the HOA meetings.

If you want to hear screams like that at an HOA meeting, just wait 'til they see the next insurance bill.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Sean asked him what address his car was parked in front of.  I always assume when someone asks me for an address they need a street and building number.

Except in this case what Sean was really after was an agreed upon place for Zimmerman to meet the cops when they arrive, and would have been happy to forget about wher Zimmeman was parked and accept the mailboxes as an easy to find landmark.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
So the prosecution doesn't gain much, as far as the GZ case by impeaching her about Twitter.

I don't think the argument would be that Jr.'s tweets influenced Lauer. It would be that Lauer's choosing to follow his tweets is evidence of a pre-existing disposition to favor George Zimmerman.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
I don't think the argument would be that Jr.'s tweets influenced Lauer. It would be that Lauer's choosing to follow his tweets is evidence of a pre-existing disposition to favor George Zimmerman.
How could she know at the time of the Serino interview that her account of the scuffle outside would help Zimmerman?  I was sort of surprised that Bernardo was the one to get that out of her today.  Why did the prosecution call her at all?  Is he going to call John Good next and have him describe what he saw on his lawn?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
How could she know at the time of the Serino interview that her account of the scuffle outside would help Zimmerman?

I have addressed that in a post on a different thread.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:08 PM »
I'm not sure I know what a 'proffer' is, but I thought it was important to record, so that the better informed can enlighten the rest of us.

In a jury trial, is a proffer something that is always done out of the presence of the jury?

A proffer is when potential evidence is presented to a judge so the judge can rule on its admissibility. Its done outside the presence of the jury.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »

If a predisposition towards either party is the issue, the the state should not even bother with Cutcher and her roommate since they did publicity events with Martin's family and publicist Julison, even hugging Sybrina on camera.

I think the prosecution is going after her for the fact that she did not admit to following Robert when asked, if it can be proven she is the one who knowingly clicked follow.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:22:57 PM by Redbrow »

Site Meter
click
tracking