Author Topic: Jonathan Manalo (Witness 13)  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Jonathan Manalo (Witness 13)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »
West seemed very pleased that the witness unexpectedly brought up the neighborhood watch sign.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
West showing SE 78, JM's photo of flashlight.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
SE 77 (Warning: somewhat graphic.)

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
West conferring with MOM, presumably on the next line of questioning

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
JM: He was a few feet from the T when he photoed the flashlight.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
JM isn't sure if the patio in the background of SE 78 is 2d or 3d unit. (It's 2d, JG's.)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
Bernie on redirect.

Bernie got JM to say GZ was calm when JM first saw him. West objected twice. Nelson let him describe GZ's demeanor in his own words. He gave a longer answer, that included the word 'calm'.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
No re-cross. JM excused.

Ofc. Ricardo Ayala up next.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
West repeated part of GZ's statement, that he was being beaten and shot the guy. JM added that GZ said he was defending himself.

During the sidebar over medical records during Lindzee Folgate's testimony, WFTV ran a clip with this part. JM quoted GZ saying 'I had to defend myself'.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »
On another forum operated by the well-known skeptic and magician James Randi, there is a dispute about where the Manalo photo of the back of GZ's head was taken. One of the commenters, Dan O., claims it was taken near the "T," and that that can be determined by the sidewalk crack visible in the background. I decided to look into that claim, and found something rather interesting. I believe the photo was taken near TM's body, at the exact sidewalk square where the marker 2 plastic bag was located.

When I was looking at Manalo's photo and the evidence photo of the plastic bag, I noticed some similar features about the sidewalks. I used a a photo editor called Paint Shop Pro to remove (as best I could) the perspective distortion, adjusted the brightness and contrast, and compared the results. I think it's quite clear they show the same area of the sidewalk. I put the results on a Flickr page.

(I admit there's a certain amount of subjectivity in the perspective adjustment and the scaling, but I believe the similarity between the two photos is well beyond what could be achieved if they were not the same sidewalk area.)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
I believe the photo was taken near TM's body

Manalo told investigators that when he first saw GZ, GZ was walking toward the T, and the two of them met near the T. Manalo didn't say that they went back toward the body before GZ got on the phone and Manalo took GZ's picture.

That phone call is very mysterious. GZ didn't mention it in his SPD interviews, nor did he mention Manalo's photos. Manalo seems to have gotten the impression GZ had called 911, but we haven't seen a record of such a call. Maybe GZ tried to make a call and didn't get through, or maybe his phone rang shortly after the shooting. The question remains of who was, or was meant to be, on the other end.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:03:33 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
From what I recall of his testimony and looking back on the notes above Manalo said he took the photos near the T but that clearly can't be given the shot of the flashlight and also Trayvon. I think on cross there was some dispute about it.

In a jail call George said he didn't remember him taking the photo of his head and was sure the guy didn't get behind him, which probably also explains why he never mentions the second NEN call.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 01:14:25 AM »
Manalo said that when he first saw GZ, GZ was walking toward the T, and the two of them met near the T. Manalo didn't say that they went back toward the body before GZ got on the phone and Manalo took GZ's picture.

That phone call is very mysterious. GZ didn't mention it in his SPD interviews, nor did he mention Manalo's photos. Manalo seems to have gotten the impression GZ had called 911, but we haven't seen a record of such a call. Maybe GZ tried to make a call and didn't get through, or maybe the phone rang just after the shooting. The question remains of who was, or was meant to be, on the other end.

He said that, but Officer Smith said GZ was within a few feet TM's body, and I believe my sidewalk comparison shows Manalo took the picture while GZ was on the sidewalk square where the brown plastic bag was photographed.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »
I added an additional photo of the tan plastic bag to my Flickr set. I think it's almost undeniable that the sidewalk square is the same as the one in the back-of-head photo.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
Manalo told investigators that when he first saw GZ, GZ was walking toward the T, and the two of them met near the T. Manalo didn't say that they went back toward the body before GZ got on the phone and Manalo took GZ's picture.

He said that, but Officer Smith said GZ was within a few feet TM's body, and I believe my sidewalk comparison shows Manalo took the picture while GZ was on the sidewalk square where the brown plastic bag was photographed.

I didn't say you were wrong.

If you're right, the discrepancy could be an issue for Manalo's credibility. Either way, I was just adding some relevant data.

Site Meter
click
tracking