Author Topic: John Good (Witness 6)  (Read 11473 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: John Good (Witness 6)
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »
I'm thinking JG is every bit as impressive a witness as I expected, if not more so.

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »
JG says he saw downward arm movement, the guy on the top was in an mma mount, but he couldn't actually see the blows striking.  Says he could hear the guy on the bottom but he couldn't see his mouth moving.  He couldn't see whether or not GZ had a gun.

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2013, 09:14:42 AM »
Bernie asks (1)if JG is trained in MMA, or (2)if he knew if GZ or TM were trained in MMA.

JG:(1.)"Im not in shape to do that" (2.)"I didn't know either one of them."

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
JG's reaction when Bernie asked if he was lying in his earliest statements was perfect. 'Lying?' with mild surprise and disbelief, and then a matter-of-fact negative.

Bernie finished as I was typing. A little later, I heard Nelson say something to O'Mara like: I'll talk to the jury, not you. What was that about?

O'Mara started re-cross, now there's a sidebar. I didn't catch why, but Nelson called it.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »
When flashlights came into view, he could not tell they were officers.  It was dark.  The outside light is not a floodlight, it illuminates the outdoor porch (I'd call it a small patio).

O'Mara closes with who was screaming.  Still not 100% sure

Redirect by Bernardo.  W6 doesn't know how the guys got to the point with Martin on top.  "Heads were toward the feet" says Bernardo.  No, head toward the sidewalk.

Statements: Police, Serino, Serino on the phone, FDLE, Bernardo.

Bernardo says sometimes there were new questions.  Agreed.  And the (slaps hand sound) was first asked by me?  Yes.  And you didn't hear sound as O'Mara postulated (tap foot or hand on carpet is what it sounded like in the stream I am listening to)?  Agreed.

Was Serino the originator of "ground and pound" characterization?  W6 thinks that was in his original written statement.  He thinks he used the "ground and pound" as elaboration from MMA.  Why did you clarify what you previously said?  To give a better visual.

Porch light is actually on the wall.  Illuminates out into the yard?  No.  It is kitty corner of wall and ceiling, and illuminates the patio.  O'Mara objects to use of transcript, wants recording to come in.

Getting hit on the ground is equivalent of ground and pound.  W6 agrees that maybe Serino was first to use the phrase "ground and pound."  W6 agrees he could not see blows being inflicted, but did see arms moving.

Bernardo is probing whether the person on the bottom was yelling for help, and that a voice from the top would not come directly, but would bounce from the top - person on top may have been calling for help and you would not hear it, that possible?  No, I would have heard it muffled if they are voicing toward the ground.

You can't say for sure the person on bottom was trying to get up.  Only that a person who is on the bottom would be trying to get up.

W6 points out that he sometimes clarified under questioning, so words would not be put in his mouth.

Does that mean that when you had to clarify, that you were lying originally?  (mild shock from W6 at this question, would you repeat that please?) No.  Just a question was omitted.  (I don't think he is hammering W6 as much as rehabilitating W8 by proxy).

Martin was face down - Ex. 77 used to establish (Bernardo probably thinking something about arm position, too, but that was not asked of W6)

W6 didn't know either Martin or Zimmerman.

Re-cross by O'Mara.  Shows witness copy of written statement mentioned by Bernardo during re-direct.  That is accurate of your recollection? Yes.  O'Mara offers into evidence, Bernardo objects.  Sidebar.

Offline teresainpa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »
Bernie trying to shake JG's credibility by suggesting he elaborated on his original statements.  JG's keeps correcting him saying that he clarified.  Bernie suggesting he lied.  It's just not working. He is not getting under JG's skin the way West did with Rachel J. Mostly because he is telling the truth and has not been influenced by other people to tell the story a certain way.  That's just my opinion.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm thinking JG is every bit as impressive a witness as I expected, if not more so.

He's his own man.  Isn't letting either side lead him.  He admitted adrenaline, not paying attention, some degree of uncertainty (which isn't much uncertainty).  Was cool under fire from Bernardo.  Yeah, a deep hole to for the prosecution to dig out from underneath.

I think defense lost the battle to get the written statement of 2/26 into evidence.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
O'Mara says the transcript of JG's testimony is 50 pages. JG agrees.

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
Bernie seemed somewhat obsessed with the MMA terminology/expertise and 'ground and pound' as a term of art.  Given that MMA is the closest thing there is to professional street fighting, it's a situation where art imitates life, not the other way around.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
O'Mara says the transcript of JG's testimony is 50 pages. JG agrees.

That is transcript of deposition with O'Mara.  There is also a half-page handwritten, page and a half transcript with Serino, fairly long transcript with FDLE.

O'Mara reads transcript of discussion with Serino.  "Throwing down blows MMA style,"  and then you said "Yeah, like a ground and pound."  Bernardo objects.  Hearsay, bolstering.  Nelson overrules.

Do you stand by that today?  Yes, it looked like a ground and pound but I didn't see contact.

Back to Bernardo - you needed to clarify that you did not see blows strike the guy on the bottom.

W6 is excused.

Nelson isn't sure what to do - decides to take early lunch until 1 pm.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:32:56 AM by cboldt »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
O'Mara reading a transcript of JG's interview with Serino.

Bernie objected to one of O'Mara's questions, hearsay and improper bolstering. Nelson overruled both. Bernie tried beyond scope of direct, and that didn't work either.

11:26 JG excused, asked to remain in a witness room so lawyers can talk to him. (I have no idea what that is about.)

11:27 recess announced, admonishing jury.

11:28 jury dismissed.

Recess for lunch, 11:28 AM to 1:00 PM.

ETA: I think the question Bernie objected to was about 'ground and pound'. Earlier it seems JG testified that he had used that phrase in the Serino interview. Bernie suggested that maybe JG didn't say that, Serino did. JG said that was possible. When O'Mara read the transcript, it turned out Serino said it first, and JG agreed and repeated the phrase. O'Mara asked some follow-up questions, and it was then that Bernie objected.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:35:13 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »
That is transcript of deposition with O'Mara. 

That was what I meant to say. Until I saw where you pointed it out, I didn't realize I had typed 'testimony' instead of 'deposition'.

Offline Jujube

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »
Thanks for recapping the testimony for those of us who miss it on TV. 

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
Please don't clutter the threads with TV commentary. These threads are for the witness' testimony and your thoughts on them.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »
Was JG asked about position of Martin's body, particularly his arms?

Site Meter
click
tracking