Author Topic: Thoughts on Week One of Trial  (Read 19775 times)

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
Re: Thoughts on Week One of Trial
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
Would a having the court's mike being bluetooth enabled and having  Jeantel wear a bluetototh
earpiece been of any help in understanding her?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
I probably didn't understand why the phone was "locked".  Certainly Martin didn't lock it.

If the phone was one that was assigned to him, it probably "locked" to a password of his choosing.  My kids have ipods, and thy go to a "locked" condition after elapse of time.  This is set up by the "owner" of the device.  I think your conclusion is in error, and that the locking of the phone was a function established by Martin, so he could maintain access control over his phone ant its contents.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
I just don't know a phone that locks when the battery runs out. No phone I've ever had has done it, and no phone of anyone I know has done it.

That's interesting. I thought they might, as a security feature. I wonder if the phone records the time it was locked.

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

"not one...but TWO flashlights" .

If  GZ had a smart phone with a flashlight app it would be THREE flashights

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
That's interesting. I thought they might, as a security feature. I wonder if the phone records the time it was locked.

And who knows, maybe TM's phone did. To the best of my knowledge I've never even seen a T-Mobile Comet (I think that was the model?).

And as cboldt said, some people set their ipods up to lock I guess. I have two and neither of them does it but I probably could set it up that way.

I wonder if it could be done remotely? Wasn't TM on his father's plan?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »

Good thing he didn't carry one in a belt holster like I do when I'm working at night, eh?

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »

Her ability to ignore her own statements might  be rooted  in a form of  egotism that assigns exclusive credibility to her feelings at the moment.  It is not all that rare.

I think this is dead on, and I think it explains why she didn't seem to think that there was anything wrong with saying, for example, that she didn't come forward to Sabrina Fulton initially because she knew that she would get 'really emotional'.  I think it has to do with an inability to form an objective opinion or concept of how a reasonable person is expected to interpret or react to a given situation and, consequently, that a reaction that deviates from this requires additional explanation.  In her mind, the fact that she reacted the way she did is proof positive that it was a reasonable reaction because she's a reasonable person and if you felt the way they she did at the time you would have reacted that way too "trust me", no additional reflection required.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »

Huawei Comet phone runs Android OS, v2.2 (Froyo).

Given that access to the phone provides access to one's e-mail and other potentially "private" information, I would be very surprised to find out that the phone has NO facility to limit access to users who know a user-selected access code.  Not that an access code must be established, just that the phone almost certainly has a function to facilitate security.

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »

I think you may have discovered the prosecution's ace in the hole.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
If we don't find out in week 2 or 3 why that last number wasn't called, I will be really p**** d.  Too few mysteries were cleared up in week 1, except perhaps, "Does the prosecution have anything more than we knew about long ago?".  ;D

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
And as cboldt said, some people set their ipods up to lock I guess. I have two and neither of them does it but I probably could set it up that way.

I wonder if it could be done remotely? Wasn't TM on his father's plan?

My kids lock them to make them less attractive targets of theft at school.

It's an android phone, and from I see, it is also WiFi capable.  I would think that access via WiFi might be possible, and looking up the ability "wipe" a phone, I learned that there are apps that can do that with a phone call to the device.

All of that is in the hands of the person who controls the device (picks apps to put on it, provides keyword or other information to the app), who may or may not be the calling plan "bill payer."  The bill payer can cut off access to T-Mobile cell tower usage, without having control of the phone.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3729#jive_content_id_Security

You can, apparently. I don't see where it tells you how, but it mentions it being done. I wasn't thinking about it as little web surfing device.

I read the on-line PDF of the manual and didn't see it in there either. There's probably an app for that....

Where's NM? He's probably got the whole thing broken down.

ETA: another T-mobile help area says this:

Lock / unlock - Screen lock

Screen lock causes the phone to lock when you turn it off. Each time you turn on the phone, the phone is locked and you must draw a pattern or enter a PIN or password. To turn on / off or edit the screen lock, follow these steps:

From the Home screen, tap the Menu  key.
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Location & security.
    Tap Set up screen lock.
    Select one of the following options:

Pattern
        1. Tap Pattern.
        2. Read the instructions for creating a personal screen unlock pattern to secure your phone.
        3. Tap Next.
        4. Review the simulation.
        5. Tap Next.
        6. Touch and slide to draw a pattern, connecting at least four dots.
        7. Tap Continue.
        8. Touch and slide to draw your pattern again.
        9. Tap Confirm.
        PIN
        1. Enter a PIN.
        2. Tap Continue.
        3. Enter your PIN again to confirm.
        4. Tap OK.
        Password
        1. Enter a password.
        2. Tap Continue.
        3. Enter your password again to confirm.
        4. Tap OK.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:59:10 PM by annoyedbeyond »

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »
ETA: another T-mobile help area says this:
Screen lock causes the phone to lock when you turn it off. Each time you turn on the phone, the phone is locked and you must draw a pattern or enter a PIN or password. To turn on / off or edit the screen lock

Good job finding that. It sounds like TM probably had the feature enabled and the phone locked when it shut off due to a low battery. Another minor mystery mostly solved.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:08:02 PM by MJW »

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »
 I can see the defense POV of emphasizing how dark and rainy it was (GZ could not see TM at the T but with GZ's keychain flashlight on TM could see GZ, hence TM confronted GZ) but why is the State doing it?

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
I can see the defense POV of emphasizing how dark and rainy it was (GZ could not see TM at the T but with GZ's keychain flashlight on TM could see GZ, hence TM confronted GZ) but why is the State doing it?

Because anyone who goes out at night with TWO flashlights obviously has murder in his heart. I hate to imagine what officer Smith was really up to, with a flashlight on his gun and a separate flashlight.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:15:50 PM by MJW »

Site Meter
click
tracking