Author Topic: SPD Investigator Doris Singleton, 7/1/13  (Read 10157 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: SPD Investigator Doris Singleton, 7/1/13
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
O'Mara clarifies his questions as to "ill will, spite" ... his question was on evidence, did she have any evidence to indicate any of that.  No hatred, no animosity, no ill will.  She saw no evidence of that.

He goes back to the reholster - she would reholster when she thought the threat was no longer.  Would you reholster if backup came on the scene?  Maybe.  Describes situation with Martin face down, stationary.  Yes, she would reholster.

Bernardo back to ill will hatred.  Zimmerman was trying to convince you that he hadn't done anything wrong, right?

Sidebar before allowing Singleton to be excused.

Talking heads say this witness is helpful to defense.

Serino!!!

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
2:31 PM, Serino sworn.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
Bernie on redirect. He asked DS if she would agree that it was the jurors' opinions that mattered, and not hers. Yes.

Bernie's demeanor when asking this was excessively pompous in my opinion. I doubt the jurors were charmed.

I agree with that and was going to post something similar.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
Is the clickorlando.com feed delayed?  The redirect has just started there.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
Is the clickorlando.com feed delayed?  The redirect has just started there.

It is delayed, but you may have additional lag.  I'm streaming clickorlando too.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
Any websites broadcasting real time?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »
Any websites broadcasting real time?

I'm on WFTV but I don't know if it's exactly real time. They claim it's live, but without being there how would we know?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
On a 15 minute recess, WFTV replayed the part on direct when DS talked about GZ realizing TM was dead. DS had told him they couldn't ID him, and GZ asked if that meant he was dead. DS told GZ she thought he knew TM was dead, and GZ 'slung his head and shook it'.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:32:48 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2013, 08:19:20 PM »
Didn't GZ say  he didn't know that his bullet had struck Trayvon and he didn't find out he died till he got to the station that night?

I've always found it curious that TS Smith didn't check TM to see if he was alive. Smith had him at gunpoint at 7:19.  Ayala and Raimondo didn't arrive behind Retreat View until 7:22.  AEvent report 20120571671 has a compilation of when each officer was dispatched and arrived.

Raimondo's interview with FDLE:

He was second at scene. He parked near Officer Smith's vehicle. He checked Martin and got no pulse. He got a bag from an Asian male and started CPR. Ayala did chest compressions until relieved by Sergeant McCoy. He felt the can of tea in his hoodie pocket when he was checking him out He did not remove it

Ayala's interview with FDLE:

When Officer Ayala arrived Officer Smith had two people at gunpoint. Ayala saw Martin face down on the ground with his hands under his body. Ayala yelled at him to remove his hands. Ayala had him illuminated with a flashlight attached to his handgun.

Sergeant Raimundo checked Martin for a pulse and could not find one. Martin was flipped over and Ayala saw a gunshot wound on his torso under a photo button that Martin was wearing. Ayala obtained a plastic bag from a civilian and used it to seal the wound while starting chest compressions. Sergeant McCoy took over the compressions while he attempted to maintain the seal with the bag.

But in the reports they authored, 183 pg original discovery Ayala says he was the second to arrive and first to check TM and Raimondo arrived while he was doing that. Raimondo's report says he was just pulling up to RATL when he heard Smith say he ahd a suspect in custody. He asked Smith which entrance to use.

That's 3 minutes Smith didn't check the body? In annother of his reports, I remember him saying he didn't. Did it take that long for him to secure GZ?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
Unfortunately Smith's youtube video has technical difficulties at the point he would be describing if he checked the body before taking care of Zimmerman.  I can't find any other source besides youtube for complete trial testimony.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:32 PM »
It was in one of his written reports.

I'm watching Singleton now. I really think O'Mara should have objected and told her not direct her answers to the jury. In federal court here, it really angers judges and for good reason. Witnesses should respond to the person asking the question.  Forensic witnesses try and get away with that stuff, but police officers usually know better. Obviously, it's not a problem in Florida state courts but it should be. They aren't supposed to be developing a rapport with jurors, just presenting facts.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »
What do you think her ethnicity is?  Hard to tell.

I'd say mixed. The dark skin could reflect some AA, or it could be all Latino, southern European, or somewhere in western or southern Asia.

ETA: She didn't seem that dark in the other videos we've seen.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:48:00 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
Didn't GZ say  he didn't know that his bullet had struck Trayvon and he didn't find out he died till he got to the station that night?

My recollection is that all the discovery has been vague about when GZ found out that Martin was dead. I think he realized TM was hit by the time he spoke to Manalo (W-13), because he told Manalo that he shot him. I don't think anything in the discovery indicates whether GZ knew TM was dead by the time GZ was removed from the scene.

When TM was pronounced, GZ would have been sitting in Smith's patrol car on RVC, in front of W-19's, 2821 RVC. When the yellow blanket was put over the body, I think GZ would have been standing by the car while the SFD checked him.

FDLE asked all the SFD people about statements that were made. All agreed that there wasn't much conversation, and none about what had happened, really none not related to the examination.

Come to think of it, I think TM being pronounced was in the radio traffic, but I'm pretty sure coded. Smith might have known, but there's nothing in his reports or testimony about him knowing that, much less telling GZ.

I recall that in the first SPD interview, Singleton referred to TM being 'shot', never 'killed'.

When Serino on direct told the story about GZ realizing TM was dead, I was typing up something else and missed most of it. I didn't catch when it would have happened.

I've always found it curious that TS Smith didn't check TM to see if he was alive. Smith had him at gunpoint at 7:19.  Ayala and Raimondo didn't arrive behind Retreat View until 7:22. 

[snip]

That's 3 minutes Smith didn't check the body? In another of his reports, I remember him saying he didn't. Did it take that long for him to secure GZ?

One of the other officers said, I think in his trial testimony, said Smith still had GZ at gunpoint when he arrived. I don't recall if it was Raimondo or Ayala. I recall feeling surprised when I heard that.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
It was Ayala, on cross by O'Mara.

RA confirms that the first officer on the scene still had GZ at gunpoint when RA arrived.

RA estimates he arrived on scene about 2 minutes after Ofc. Smith. GZ was not yet handcuffed.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:26 AM »
That Zimmerman was the one screaming is not a fact in evidence? 

I think it's clearly a term of art. I have no idea what the definition/rules would be.

Maybe a fact supported only by hearsay, even admissible hearsay, is not considered 'in evidence'.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:56:07 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Site Meter
click
tracking