Author Topic: (Former) SPD Investigator Chris Serino, 7/1/13  (Read 11442 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: (Former) SPD Investigator Chris Serino, 7/1/13
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »
Check the Pretrial section of this forum under Transcripts.  All the Serino and Singleton interviews are there, mostly complete.  You will have to go offsite for a transcript of the reenactment.  The long CVSA interview has never been completely put into transcript, AFAIK.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
This is the transcript of Serino's 2/27/12 interview with GZ at 12:05 am that O'Mara included in his appendix to the petition for writ of prohibition to remove Judge Lester.

Here is O'Mara's submitted transcript for   Singleton's second interview on Feb. 26 (right before Serino arrived.)

Are you all saying these are incomplete and there were things played in court that weren't in these earlier versions? (I'm about to start watching.)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
Are you all saying these are incomplete and there were things played in court that weren't in these earlier versions? (I'm about to start watching.)
NMNM discusses the new (to us) material here.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
My copies have the audio of the Mirandizing by both Singleton and Serino. Serino began his interview at 12:05 am on the 27th and after mirandizing him, he shows him a picture of TM and says he (Serino) doesn't know who it is. GZ then went home and came back later that day for the cvsa.  My copy of the cvsa video starts at 6:18 pm on the 27th with the examiner and GZ in a room and the examiner talking to GZ.

My copy of the walkthough ends with him explaining his injuries to Serino and then Singleton touching his head remarking that the swelling she saw yesterday seems to be gone. He says his wife worked on him. Fade to black.

Serino's next interview of GZ is on the Weds the 29th at 5:19 pm. He says he has some things to show him and asks him if he is a man of faith or gotten counseling. He asks what religion GZ is. He tells him TM was a kid with a future.  Minutes later Singleton is asking him a question so it's clear they were both there. There are four segments to the 2/29 interview.

The audios of the interviews and video of the cvsa and walkthrough were provided in the Third Supplemental Discovery.

Offline Jujube

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
It's the 2/29 hearing I'm having a hard time hearing -- and it's mostly the extra stuff at the beginning where GZ and Singleton are talking.  I cannot make out ANY of the words so I don't know what they are saying.  (She stands in the doorway in part of it, still talking to GZ.)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
There are four segments to the 2/29 interview.

Darn. I've been using the audio at the Sanford Herald. They have 2/29 in three segments.

I'm thinking the difference may be that the three segment version is from Serino's portable recorder, and the four segment version is from the audio track of the video camera in the interrogation room. Or maybe the four segment version is a combination, since I recall the video played in court included Serino reciting case number, date, etc. into his personal recorder outside the interrogation room. This is confusing.

The 'extra' segment is between Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 of the three segment version. It has only GZ and Singleton in the interrogation room, after Serino excused himself at the end of Pt. 1. GZ is going into more detail about the 2/2/12 NEN event, when he reported the suspicious person near Taaffe's house, who was later arrested. Correct?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »
The press is keying on Serino recommending Zimmerman be charged, but that can't be reconciled with a failure to arrest.

Is there any actual data on how often the SPD sends a capias to the State Attorney for a person who hasn't been arrested?

ETA: When police send a capias to a prosecutor, is that a recommendation that a person be charged immediately? Or does it leave open the possibility that more evidence be gathered, before the person is charged and the 'speedy trial' clock starts?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:39:12 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 07:07:02 AM »
Is there any actual data on how often the SPD sends a capias to the State Attorney for a person who hasn't been arrested?

ETA: When police send a capias to a prosecutor, is that a recommendation that a person be charged immediately? Or does it leave open the possibility that more evidence be gathered, before the person is charged and the 'speedy trial' clock starts?

I'm sure there is data.  I'd narrow the search to cases that allege self defense.  I think arrest has to be probed too, for cases of battery and assault (which are also amenable to self defense), but for which a person might bail out before being charged.

Typically, the system works to protect the public, and arrest is done on probable cause.  The police do most of the investigation, but the state attorney can obviously do more, and almost certainly does as a function of discovery and trial preparation.

Anyway, yes, the capias leaves open a possibility for additional time for investigation before charging.  There are time limits for holding without charge, too, and IIRC, those are fairly short, certainly less than a month.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
The audios of the interviews and video of the cvsa and walkthrough were provided in the Third Supplemental Discovery.

State or defendant?

They don't seem to be in the Defendant's Third Supplemental. I couldn't find the State's Third Supplemental at GZLegal, and I do believe I searched every available page. I tried googling and found numerous references to the Defendant's Third Supplemental, no State's Third Supplemental.

I'm puzzled that the CVSA interview wasn't put into evidence. My recollection is that the stress test itself is mentioned only at the beginning and the end.

Start with 25:19
Erwin: So, start from the beginning.

End with 45:19-22
Zimmerman: It felt like an eternity.

I don't think anything would need to be redacted in between, as regards the voice stress test itself. But I haven't listened to the whole thing recently.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »
The State's 3rd Supplemental Discovery seems to consist of material that had been previously released. It contains the video of the CVSA.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Zimmerman verbal description of hands over mouth and nose and smothering was muted for the jury.

I missed this first time through.

I guess Bernie doesn't think the jury will buy that if GZ was smothered for 5 seconds, he couldn't scream for the other 40. Did he ever believe they would?

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2013, 03:16:33 AM »
this is what is on the media site for the 3rd supplemental -- it is all June, 2012 as is the date of the notice you linked to

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2013, 03:36:28 AM »
Zimmerman verbal description of hands over mouth and nose and smothering was muted for the jury. . . . Same with he saw my gun, reached for it, told me "you're gonna die tonight."

The details of what got redacted are something I've been missing until now. I'm just getting my head around the implications. I think the fingerprint and DNA evidence are much more important than I thought, since Osterman's version of TM going for the gun is the only one the jury has heard.

Now, also, it makes sense to me that the state would call Osterman.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:38:49 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2013, 04:31:13 AM »
It finally hit me (being a little slow) that this may be our first sign that Bernie is smarter than he looks. I think all that posturing about the suffocation contradicting the screaming may have been a deliberate feint.

Offline who007

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »
It finally hit me (being a little slow) that this may be our first sign that Bernie is smarter than he looks. I think all that posturing about the suffocation contradicting the screaming may have been a deliberate feint.

Could you expand on this?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Site Meter
click
tracking