Author Topic: (Former) SPD Investigator Chris Serino, 7/1/13  (Read 11870 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: (Former) SPD Investigator Chris Serino, 7/1/13
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2013, 05:08:41 AM »
It finally hit me (being a little slow) that this may be our first sign that Bernie is smarter than he looks. I think all that posturing about the suffocation contradicting the screaming may have been a deliberate feint.

Could you expand on this?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

In pretrial hearings, when Bernie was arguing that he had a strong case, he would say GZ contradicted himself by claiming to have been screaming and to have been suffocated. That made it look like the suffocation claim was something he would want to put in evidence, and the opposite turned out to be true.

Does that answer your question? I don't know exactly what it is that you don't understand.

Offline who007

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2013, 07:19:56 AM »
Could you expand on this?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

In pretrial hearings, when Bernie was arguing that he had a strong case, he would say GZ contradicted himself by claiming to have been screaming and to have been suffocated. That made it look like the suffocation claim was something he would want to put in evidence, and the opposite turned out to be true.

Does that answer your question? I don't know exactly what it is that you don't understand.
I guess it's because the smothering part was not excluded from all the testimony.

I recalled hearing it, during the Serino and Singleton portion and went back to check, and twice it is brought up when Serino was on the stand:

At 4:03 and 4:09 Here in the "LIVE, ongoing rundown of the day's testimony" (July 1):

"Serino question him about the smothering. Singleton says the screaming would’ve stopped from someone being smothered."

"Serino says if anything needs to be changed, “This is it.” He plays the 911 call with screams heard in the background. He asks about what point Zimmerman says Martin smothered him. He plays the call again."

Unless your purporting suffocating and smothering are vastly different and will be interpreted as such by the jury, and I guess it could be said to be so, I just saw the terms as similar, and I guess that was what was confusing.

ETA: OK. I have to check the tape itself now, because I just reviewed  the interview with Singleton & Serino, (2/29)  and he does use the word "suffocating."

"GZ: When he…he was mounted on me but he had pressure on my nose and my mouth, suffocating me. And when he let go of my mouth and started reaching down my side"

So I'm not sure if the rundown of by CFNEWS interchanged the word smothering with suffocating, or if this was at another portion. I don't recall that being cut out, but I could be wrong.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:34:35 AM by who007 »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
I guess it's because the smothering part was not excluded from all the testimony.

I wish you had said that to begin with.

As I said, or was trying to say, I'm still getting up to speed on what was and wasn't redacted.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
Zimmerman verbal description of hands over mouth and nose and smothering was muted for the jury. . . . Same with he saw my gun, reached for it, told me "you're gonna die tonight."

I'm watching the video, and what I'm seeing/hearing differs from what Cboldt described. Starting about 29:21 there are problems with the audio and video. Several words are lost, not only from GZ's account of the suffocation. The words 'other hand on my mouth' are audible.

The audio/video problems stop about 29:57. Then comes GZ thinking TM saw the gun, TM threatening verbally and reaching for the gun, all perfectly audible.

Following is my transcript of this part of the reenactment, with the parts inaudible on the courtroom video in brackets. It starts about 29:00 on the courtroom video, and about 8:36 on this video. Where I have 'unintelligible' or 'crosstalk' in brackets, it means I don't get the words on either video.

Zimmerman: And, that's when I started screaming for help. I started screaming "Help! Help!" as loud as I could. And, then is when he grabbed, I tried to sit up, and that's when he grabbed me by the head, and tried to slam my head down. And -
Serino: Were you on the [unintelligible], on the cement, or were you on the [crosstalk].
Zimmerman: No, my body was on the grass. My head was on the cement.
Serino: OK, so you were basically facing this way?
Zimmerman: Yes, [sir.]
Serino: [OK.]
Zimmerman: [That's] as best as I could [feel,] through my jacket.
Serino: [Mmhmm.]
Zimmerman: [It was,] I felt like my [body was on the] grass and my head was on the [cement. And he just kept slamming and] slamming. And, [I, I kept yelling "Help! Help! Help!" as loud as I could.] He put his hand [on his nose, on my nose, and his] other hand on my mouth. And he said, "Shut the f*ck up!" [And, then I was] squirming [again, because all I could think] about was, when he was hitting my [head against it], it felt [like my head was] gonna explode. And I thought I was gonna lose consciousness. So I tried to squirm, so that I could get, because he, he only had a small portion of my head on the concrete. So I tried to squirm off the concrete. And when I did that, somebody here opened the door. And I said "Help me, help me." And they said "I'll call nine nine one." I said "No, help me! I need help!" And, I don't know what they did. But that's when my jacket moved up, and I had my, my firearm on my right side hip. My jacket moved up, and, he saw, I feel like he saw it. He looked at it, and he said, "You're gonna die tonight, motherf*er." And he reached for it, but he reached, like I felt his arm going down to my side. And I grabbed it, and I just grabbed my firearm, and I shot him. One time.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »
Reviewing video, I realize there was a lot of redaction from the 2/29/12 interview. Much of it was removing positive things Serino said about TM. Not surprising, but an interesting reminder of how careful the prosecution was, not to open that door.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
This is funny.

Video, 1:07:12.

Playing for the jury all but the last sentence of SPD 2/29-1, 37:04-11.

Serino: Now, could it have been possible that you said "I don't have a f*ing problem"?

Zimmerman: No.

Serino: No.? OK.

Zimmerman: No.

Serino: That would have been my response.

Serino's 'That would have been my response,' was redacted for the jury. Can't let the ladies hear the noble police officer admit to using rough language. All that prosecutorial posturing would have looked even sillier, hard as that is to imagine.

Site Meter
click
tracking