Author Topic: Kristen Benson, Latent Print Analyst for SCSO  (Read 3248 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Kristen Benson, Latent Print Analyst for SCSO
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
4:22 PM

Kristen Benson.

(TL: title changed at request of commenter and shortened. SCSO is Seminole County Sheriff's Office)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:48:29 PM by TalkLeft »

• Rate Post +0/-0
4:28 PM

O'Mara on cross.

4:30 PM

KB excused.

Sidebar.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
That was.

• Rate Post +0/-0
I did listen to some of what this witness said. As usual with expert witnesses, they started with basic stuff, like defining what latent prints are. If she said anything specific to the case, on direct or cross, I missed it.

According to the WFTV talking heads, this 'analyst' didn't do any analysis in the case. She only did grunt work, handling the print cards and the like. Her testimony is supposed to be a foundation for a later witness, who did the analysis of the cards.

It's not clear what the state expects to show with fingerprint evidence. It may be that they will show that there were no fingerprints, of TM or anyone, on the gun or the holster, then make a fuss over that because Osterman said GZ said TM grabbed either the gun or the holster.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
Thanks.

-----

Since you've been doing such a thorough job with the great recaps for those of us who don't get to see the actual trial live, I figured she probably had nothing of real importance to say.

And I really do appreciate the great job you (and the other recappers, not to slight them) have been doing.

I couldn't resist poking fun at the terse posts here and on the other thread, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:05:40 PM by Evil Chinchilla »

• Rate Post +0/-0
Thanks.

My pleasure.

My post wasn't actually a response to yours. I felt the need to flesh this out, and I was somewhere in the middle of typing it when your jest was post. It was on target, and appreciated.  ;)

From TV talking heads, it seems KB did say that no fingerprints were found on gun or holster. Since there is no dispute that GZ handled the gun without gloves, that really supports the view that much forensic evidence was washed away by the rain, which is good for the defense.

I think the state is playing a weak hand badly.

• Rate Post +0/-0
Since you've been doing such a thorough job with the great recaps

Thanks. I'm glad the work is useful.

I think it's important to be aware that often the recaps aren't thorough. For example, I really can't listen and type at the same time. To me Cboldt seems to be the only one who can. Apologies if I overlook someone else.

When I decide that something is important enough to type up, I unavoidably miss whatever comes after that, which may turn out to be of equal or greater importance. I won't enumerate all the other reasons things fall through the cracks. I hope the live-blogging is useful and pleasing for the readers, but it would be a mistake to rely on the recaps with confidence that nothing important was missed.

ETA: Of course, the more people are live-blogging at a given time, the closer the recaps get to being thorough.

Site Meter
click
tracking