Author Topic: Week 3 Expectations on Defense Case  (Read 6851 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Week 3 Expectations on Defense Case
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »
The state is expected to rest Friday, with Sybrina Fulton as their last witness. It's not known if they will also call Medical Examiner Shipping Bao (Bao has given interviews stating he expected to be called), if they will hold Bao for rebuttal or not call him at all.

After the state rests, the defense will move for its first judgment of acquittal. (It will make its second motion for JOA after the close of its case.)  The judge is almost certain to deny this, and any other motions to dismiss.

The defense will then either rest without putting on evidence  or begin its case.

I think they will present evidence,  particularly since they have a firearms/ballistics and pathology expert waiting in the wings.  I also expect them to call at least one witness familiar with GZ's voice who will say they think he is the person crying out for help in Jenna Lauer's call.

The defense also has a self-defense expert on tap but the state is objecting to his testimony.

Who do you think the defense will call, who should they call, and does anyone think GZ will testify?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:01:39 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Week 3 Expectations on Defense Case
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »
When you say "rest Monday" do you mean Monday or has the holiday thrown you off?

I'm looking forward to the super-deluxe-whiz-bang-second-by-second timeline O'Mara was hinting around about.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
Thanks! The holiday threw me off. I keep thinking tomorrow is Monday. I fixed it.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
They have a reenactment animation that they will have introduced. They keep pointing out the gap argument repeatedly.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
I think the defense might call Rachel Jeantel and Tracy Martin as their own witnesses.

Meanwhile, I'm puzzled/confused over the crossing of Jeantel, which I thought was not complete. Do they waive their right to further cross if it isn't complete before the state rests? How does that work?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
Why do you think the cross of Rachel Jeantel was not finished?  West did say they plan to call her in their own case.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
I think the defense might call Rachel Jeantel and Tracy Martin as their own witnesses.

Did you ever answer the question on the other thread as to why you thought the defense calling Tracy would be a good idea? Did I just miss it?

Because as I see it, they bring him up, he testifies that he said it wasn't TM, but then under cross he tells how he was in shock and didn't know what he was saying...a wash, at best.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
It's not known if they will also call Medical Examiner Shipping Bao (Bao has given interviews stating he expected to be called), if they will hold Bao for rebuttal or not call him at all.

Guy said in his opening statement that the jurors would hear from the ME (Video, 1:04:20).

If the state doesn't call him, I don't know why the defense wouldn't, maybe as their first witness, and make all they could of the state leaving their own promise for the other side to fulfill. I can't imagine the state won't call Dr. Bao before they rest.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
Did you ever answer the question on the other thread as to why you thought the defense calling Tracy would be a good idea? Did I just miss it?

I think I missed the question.

Because as I see it, they bring him up, he testifies that he said it wasn't TM, but then under cross he tells how he was in shock and didn't know what he was saying...a wash, at best.

Has he said that's his story now? Last I heard it was still a difference in the sound quality, and the cops lying.

The 'in shock' story would be impeachable with its lateness, and possibly by Serino and Erwin testifying about Tracy's demeanor. I recall at one time mention of a third witness, but I don't know if he/she was ever identified. The more times the jurors hear the story of Tracy saying the voice wasn't his son's, the better for the defense IMO.

However Tracy tries to walk back the admission, he is stuck with the admission not being self-serving, while the walk-back is.

I don't see what the defense has to lose by getting it all in front of the jury, to make what they will of it.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
They have a reenactment animation that they will have introduced. They keep pointing out the gap argument repeatedly.

Has the court ruled on the state's objection to it?

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 09:05:46 PM »
Has the court ruled on the state's objection to it?

To my knowledge, no. I'll have to look back through the minutes.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
No order or reference in trial minutes. I posted a thread to discuss the motion itself.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »
Why do you think the cross of Rachel Jeantel was not finished?

I don't have time to find it on video right now. My recollection is that before Jeantel was excused on her second day, when they were discussing whether to let her go home to Miami until she was needed again, one suggestion West made was to bring her back later the same day. The T-Mobile rep testified right after her, so I thought West wanted to cross her on the phone calls after more foundation was laid.

West did say they plan to call her in their own case.

I missed that.

It may be that West was just indifferent as to whether his remaining questions were asked on direct or cross.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:06:59 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »
Long interview with Mark O'Mara here.

He expects evidence to be done middle to end of next week.

He will cross-examine Sbyrina Fulton "gingerly" because she's a grieving mother.

Decision on GZ testifying will be made after state ends case, and depend on whether he thinks state has proven charges

Medical examiner will testify but it will be dry

He will call a lot of witnesses

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »
It may be that West was just indifferent as to whether his remaining questions were asked on direct or cross.

Or the defense has potential questions that could not be asked on cross.  I'm thinking reputation (for fighting, maybe for bigoted prejudices, although that door was opened with "creepy ass cracker") as one such line of questioning.

Site Meter
click
tracking