Author Topic: Credibility of Witnesses  (Read 1954 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Credibility of Witnesses
« on: July 06, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »
If Zimmerman were charged with lying to investigators and Hannity, I can understand how the prosecution would argue that to the jury.  But since he is not, how can they get the credibility issue in front of the jury, especially if he doesn't testify?  I don't believe there is a jury instruction that mentions statements given by a non-witness defendant.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:22:04 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Credibility of Witnesses
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »
But since he is not, how can they get the credibility issue in front of the jury, especially if he doesn't testify?

They already have.

I don't believe there is a jury instruction that mentions statements given by a non-witness defendant.

I think there will be a jury instruction on consciousness of guilt.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:22:23 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman's Credibility
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:12:51 AM »
I didn't notice any in the Jury Instructions section here.  I hope our case law mavins can come up with an example of one.  If one is given, the defense has a choice between denying Zimmerman ever said anything with an intent to deceive or saying the deception was not on material matters.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman's Credibility
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:43:30 AM »
Jury instructions in the Casey Anthony case, according to CNN.

The video is partial. What appear to be the complete instructions are printed below it.

The charges against Anthony including giving false information to LE, but there is nothing in the jury instructions about attempting deception as evidence of consciousness of guilt. I'm surprised.

Site Meter
click
tracking