Author Topic: Week 3, Thursday, July 11, 2013  (Read 1959 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Week 3, Thursday, July 11, 2013
« on: July 11, 2013, 03:58:19 AM »
This morning the parties will argue over lesser included offense instructions. O'Mara also said yesterday in court that he was submitting a request for an instruction on the definition of unlawfully provoke. It wasn't clear to me if he was conceding that the aggressor portion of the instruction was being given, or if he was submitting it in the event the Court sided with the state on including  the aggressor portion.

The state will give its first closing at 1:00 pm. The defense will close on Friday.

O'Mara will close for the defense. The state's attorneys will likely have one do the opening closing and another do the rebuttal closing. O'Mara registered an objection to having two state's attorneys do the closing.

This  thread is for updating and comments on the day's proceedings. You can also comment in the jury instruction thread or the closing argument thread.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Week 3, Thursday, July 11, 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
The day started with a half-hour recess.

The defense just got the state's version of the instructions, hasn't had time to go over them with GZ. Nelson gave them time to do that and conference with state.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »
Seeing it reported that O'Mara isn't in court this AM. I'm not sure leaving the discussion of including lesser charges (that could still send GZ to prison for a long, long time) is best left to Don West, considering how much animus JDN has shown him in the past few days.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
I don't know if this "animus" between DW and DN is real.  They probably have known each other for many years and the same thing happens every time Don in in Deb's court.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »
I don't know if this "animus" between DW and DN is real.  They probably have known each other for many years and the same thing happens every time Don in in Deb's court.

If it was something that happened every time they were in court it's something that would be widely known and the Florida Lawyer Twitter Mafia would be aware of it (or would have even seen it) and they'd be posting remarks about how it's no big deal, happens all the time instead of tweeting out how they've never seen anything like it etc.

Don't forget: West spends a lot of time in Federal court. I'm not saying he hasn't been in front of JDN before, but I'm saying I bet he's spent less time in front of her than in front of her.

Mr. West is co-counsel representing George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin shooting and is the former Senior Litigation Counsel for the Federal Defenderís Office and supervisor of its Capital Defense Team, representing individuals accused of death penalty eligible offenses in federal court.

The man knows stuff. He's been treated like a child by a judge who's bent backwards for the prosecution and run roughshod over the schedule.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
I agree. Her demeanor towards him has been deplorable throughout the pre-trial proceedings and trial. She continually cuts him off and dismisses his arguments. I think he has shown incredible patience with the Judge.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
What was his alternative?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
Spit wads when she turned around.

Site Meter