Author Topic: Verdict Watch  (Read 17645 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Verdict Watch
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:02:53 AM »
This thread will open when the jury retires to deliberate.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Watch
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
Looks like jury watch time.  I wonder how late they are allowed to work, each day.  Do they get to set their own hours, or does the Court restrict them?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »
Looks like jury watch time.  I wonder how late they are allowed to work, each day.  Do they get to set their own hours, or does the Court restrict them?

There's been a tweet from the court spokesman that they're going to be allowed back to the hotel when they're tired.

But one of the Twitter Lawyer Mafia (Hornsby I think) said the other day that JDN kept everyone in the court room until 4AM for a verdict once, so who really knows.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
There's been a tweet from the court spokesman that they're going to be allowed back to the hotel when they're tired.

But one of the Twitter Lawyer Mafia (Hornsby I think) said the other day that JDN kept everyone in the court room until 4AM for a verdict once, so who really knows.

Sounds like the jury can choose their own hours then.  If they want to work until 10 pm, or whenever, they can.  Each day.  I thought maybe the court would limit them to bankers hours or something.  If I was on a jury, I'd want to set my own hours, and I would bristle at the court telling me to stop deliberating.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
While we wait...there's about 20-30 minutes of pre-taped just released CNN interview with O'Mara.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/07/12/intv-savidge-omara-prosecutor-and-judge.cnn.html

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
The jury has a question. Court reconvenes.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »
They want an itemized list of exhibits. Court will comply as soon as the items that were marked for identification but not entered into evidence are redacted. Parties are accomplishing that now. Question will be filed under seal to protect foreperson's name.

They're going to go long.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
They want an itemized list of exhibits. Court will comply as soon as the items that were marked for identification but not entered into evidence are redacted. Parties are accomplishing that now. Question will be filed under seal to protect foreperson's name.

They're going to go long.

Maybe they are taking O'Mara very seriously and looking for the shred of evidence that the State provided to support their case.

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
The jurors asked to be adjourned, seemingly somewhat early.  Is there a disagreement or have they pretty much reached a verdict and are waiting for tomorrow to finalize it?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
could be either one. I'm not making any predictions. Or "any more predictions".

I agreed with Diana Tennis that it would be a couple of hours. I thought they'd be going home tonight.

So I'm done predicting.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
The jurors asked to be adjourned, seemingly somewhat early.  Is there a disagreement or have they pretty much reached a verdict and are waiting for tomorrow to finalize it?

Who knows.  I recall a jury that I was on.  We reached agreement in the first five minutes, then, knowing a quick return would be criticized, spent the day just hanging out.  Played cards, talked about hobbies, etc.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
I agreed with Diana Tennis that it would be a couple of hours. I thought they'd be going home tonight.

By now they have adapted to being sequestered, and have no urgent need to get out.  Their needs are catered to, better than a vacation if you can afford the time off.

There is an infinite variety of interpersonal overlay, totally unrelated to the trial, that has to shake out too.  We don't know if they get along swimmingly, or where the lines of tension fall now that they are tasked.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
So I'm done predicting.

Heck, it's not so much as predicting as speculating with benefits.

If I was on that jury, and was okay with being sequestered for longer, I'd propose delaying delivery of a verdict for "a long time" like a month.  Play mind games with the public.  Let them guess and spin and wonder and whatever.  Meanwhile, we all know what's up - after all, the system made us sit sequestered for the better part of a month.  Turnabout is fair play.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
Heck, it's not so much as predicting as speculating with benefits.

If I was on that jury, and was okay with being sequestered for longer, I'd propose delaying delivery of a verdict for "a long time" like a month.  Play mind games with the public.  Let them guess and spin and wonder and whatever.  Meanwhile, we all know what's up - after all, the system made us sit sequestered for the better part of a month.  Turnabout is fair play.

There is that, certainly.

Especially with the new rule that JDN seems to have put in, where it used to be an hour of notice, she's whittled it down to 15 minutes. Can you imagine the stress and strain on all the talking heads having to be ready to go on 15 minutes notice for even a week or so?

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
By now they have adapted to being sequestered, and have no urgent need to get out.  Their needs are catered to, better than a vacation if you can afford the time off.
Heh.

A short while ago, before I read this response, I said that the juror with the job in the Alzheimer's ward and the eight kids was going to be the one juror going, "Oh, gee... I just don't know... I'm sorry. Maybe if we all slept on it and ran through the whole thing tomorrow just one more time, to make sure we didn't miss anything..."

Site Meter
click
tracking