Author Topic: Verdict Watch  (Read 15662 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Watch
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 05:30:53 PM »
Especially with the new rule that JDN seems to have put in, where it used to be an hour of notice, she's whittled it down to 15 minutes. Can you imagine the stress and strain on all the talking heads having to be ready to go on 15 minutes notice for even a week or so?

The possibilities are just so tempting.  The system is so self-serious, might as well take the opportunity to make a monkey out of it.  And by "the system," I mean both the court, but even more, the press.

How many people get the opportunity to do that?

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
The possibilities are just so tempting.  The system is so self-serious, might as well take the opportunity to make a monkey out of it.  And by "the system," I mean both the court, but even more, the press.

How many people get the opportunity to do that?

Maybe they want one more free dinner. ::)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
Maybe they want one more free dinner. ::)

One!  Dinner is a minor perk.  I'm talking about the power of yanking the chain of a good chunk of the press apparatus, as well as making the court work for me, instead of the other way around.  Right now, the jury holds all the power.  It is a point to ponder, like holding the genie who is granting wishes.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
Remember the All in the Family where Edith was on jury duty? She was the lone juror...or as Archie put it, "the lone dingbat".

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »
After Dr. Di Maio's testimony, I thought the jury might come back quickly. I thought he settled almost all the key issues regarding 'self-defense' (justifiable use of deadly force), and his testimony on those points was either uncontradicted or contradicted only by
Dr. Rao. To me Dr. Rao seems a less impressive witness in both presentation and credentials, and I thought she was clearly biased.

One thing I think is especially impressive about Dr. Di Maio as a witness, is that he doesn't frequently testify for criminal defendants. For much of his career he was a medical examiner for one jurisdiction or another, and in private practice he has mostly testified in civil cases. I can hardly see him as a hired gun whose opinion is for sale, and even less so when his eminence in his field is considered as well.

But I have been living with this case for months, so it's easy for me to see how new pieces fit. The jury has had all this thrown at them over the last three weeks. They may want to take their time, and look carefully at all the evidence. It's what I would do.

By all accounts it's a conscientious jury, attentive and taking a lot of notes. Their preference for a heavy work schedule has made me wonder how patient they are with sequestration. But it may be that they pushed the trial schedule because they wanted to take their time in deliberations.

I expect all the jurors will be mindful of how the Casey Anthony jurors were criticized for bringing in an unpopular verdict after a short deliberation period. Those that don't know will have been told by the others.

Opinion on this case is more evenly divided than on the Anthony case, but that just means the jurors are on the firing line wherever they come down.

My bet is the jurors will be out for a few days.

All of the above is my opinions.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 10:25:07 PM »
They're sleeping on the verdict tonight. Deputy Jarvis already told them that he's going to weekend in the Bahamas and could they please wait until he's safely in international waters before rendering a verdict. He gave them his no speeding tickets for 3 months voucher if they agreed.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »
Just saw this:

Valerie Boey Tweet

New seats E40, E6, B29, B76, B37, B51...alternates dismissed, but its up to them if they want to stay. #fox35

Does the dismissal of alternates mean anything?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
New seats E40, E6, B29, B76, B37, B51...alternates dismissed, but its up to them if they want to stay. #fox35

Does the dismissal of alternates mean anything?

Yes.  They are off the jury, and can't get back on it.  I don't know what "it's up to them if they want to stay" means.  They aren't in deliberations, and can't be put into deliberation if one of the 6 jurors can't complete the deliberation task or is disqualified for some reason (like referring to a dictionary, or speaking to anybody other than a juror about the case).

Maybe the 3 alternates get to hang out in sequestration with the 6 jurors - no discussing the case there either, or maybe they, like the rest of the public, can stay at the courthouse unless removed for some offense.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
Diana Tennis just tweeted that the alternates were still being sequestered, just separate from the others, which she's never seen happen before so it's confusing her.

Man. If that's true...if I were an alternate juror I'd be so pissed right now....

;D

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
Diana Tennis just tweeted that the alternates were still being sequestered, just separate from the others, which she's never seen happen before so it's confusing her.

Man. If that's true...if I were an alternate juror I'd be so pissed right now....

;D

Couldn't this potentially be the case with all of the jurors?
Didn't Nelson say that there could be a delay between the jury completing deliberations and the announcement of the verdict?

I don't have a link...

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

Couldn't this potentially be the case with all of the jurors?
Didn't Nelson say that there could be a delay between the jury completing deliberations and the announcement of the verdict?

I don't have a link...

I don't know what you mean about all the jurors. If the members of the jury--the 6 deliberating--stay, that's their business, even if there's just one hold out, say. I'm talking about the people that sat through all the testimony, got told 'thanks but no thanks' yesterday and still don't get to go home (apparently).

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »

;D

Maybe has something to do with temporarily preserving their anonymity.  I'll have to listen to what the judge said from the bench.  I thought I heard her say they were separated from the 6 jurors, and dismissed, excused.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »

There is always a delay.  I've read a few remarks that indicate she's giving the lawyers 15 minutes to get to the courtroom, once the jury has told the court that it has reached a verdict.  The press is apoplectic over that, they are accustomed to having an hour to pump up the audience.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
There is always a delay.  I've read a few remarks that indicate she's giving the lawyers 15 minutes to get to the courtroom, once the jury has told the court that it has reached a verdict.  The press is apoplectic over that, they are accustomed to having an hour to pump up the audience.

Well be fair, also an hour for the lawyers and defendant to get there, means they can actually leave the court house instead of camping out inside it.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Diana Tennis ‏@TennisLaw 32m
@JeffreyDeen @richardhornsby No they are being sequestered still but seperate! That's why I am confused, never saw kept before here.

Site Meter
click
tracking