Author Topic: Verdict Watch  (Read 27323 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Watch
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »
I don't watch Greta, but I never thought she was one of those inane babblers. But good grief this is painful.

They all have their moments.  I figure you know she's a Scientologist, so that tells you a bit about her critical thinking skills.  She is better than most.  She made her bones off the OJ Simpson case.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
Ooh. I don't drink but I've got some really good cigars!

I'll have a vicarious cigar with you, and having a Shipyard summer ale.  I didn't expect the verdict to come tonight.  Now I can get back to paying work until another case comes along to distract me.

Offline Gunslinger

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
It's inane chatter to fill what would otherwise be a nice peaceful quiet.

The federal charges are going to be against the state of Florida.

Agreed.  Civil rights charges against GZ would open yet another political can of worms.  With any luck, the Obama Administration will decide it has enough controversy on its plate for the moment. 

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
Diana Tennis points out to Greta that there can't really be federal charges against GZ because he's not an actual cop.

And civil trials will let a lot of stuff about TM be released. I'm not sure that would be helpful.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
She better not put on a hoodie and stand in Taaffe's yard.

Lol-ing!

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
Diana Tennis points out to Greta that there can't really be federal charges against GZ because he's not an actual cop.

And civil trials will let a lot of stuff about TM be released. I'm not sure that would be helpful.

Ummm, it is possible for a civilian to be under federal civil rights charges.  There is a federal hate crime statute that does not require "acting under color of law."  The problem with the federal case is the same as the problem with the murder case - lack of evidence.  We know from experience that lack of evidence is not a barrier to bringing charges.

As for civil trial against Zimmerman, O'Mara more or less taunted those who would bring them, to bring it on.  He'll file a motion of immunity in the civil case, he said.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »
Time to drop the charges against Shellie.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »
Time to drop the charges against Shellie.

She's going to be the target of prosecutorial anger that was not resolved against George.  Her case just got harder, and Nelson might feel obliged to step up her assistance to the state, as well.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Bernie told the press, after the verdict, that he believes Zimmerman is guilty of murder.
He also said tonight, "We live in a great country which has a great criminal justice system.  It is not perfect but it is the best in the world".  Why is that the favorite gratuitous remark of US lawyers who know zippo about other legal systems?  He's running for office?   Or maybe he does know what would happen to him if he conducted that interview of Rachel Jeantel in just about any other democratic country outside the US.   Yeah, and he is also a big fan of the death penalty.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:29:46 PM by RickyJim »

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »
If the screaming had continued, she'd have argued it was Martin screaming in pain before expiring.

She's a typical two-faced sociopathic politician.  No conscience at all.

But if they decide to remake the Harry Potter films, she'd be perfect as Professor Umbridge.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »
He also said tonight, "We live in a great country which has a great criminal justice system.  It is not perfect but it is the best in the world".  Why is that the favorite gratuitous remark of US lawyers who know zippo about other legal systems?  He's running for office?   Or maybe he does know what would happen to him if he conducted that interview of Rachel Jeantel in just about any other democratic country outside the US.   Yeah, and he is also a big fan of the death penalty.

More blacks on death row than any other prosecutor.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »
But if they decide to remake the Harry Potter films, she'd be perfect as Professor Umbridge.

Well Disney is right there in case things do not work out for her in the SA office.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »
More blacks on death row than any other prosecutor.

And with 78 out of 79 murder convictions you would have to wonder how much ethics is behind that kind of record.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2013, 10:51:23 PM »
Where's Ricky and NM? And DFH? They should be here...

Thanks for thinking of me. I was asleep when the verdict came in. I woke up after midnight (EDT, it's earlier where I am) and heard it from CNN. I was going to finish reading the thread before adding to it.

I'm proud of those 6 jurors. Congratulations to O'Mara, West, and Hirschhorn for picking that jury, and of course to GZ's legal team for a great job all around. I hope at least one of them writes a book. I hope George Zimmerman and his family can salvage something from their lives, and happy book sales to them too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:54:22 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »
As she's a friend of the family I will try to just wing her :)

Wrong.

Ascertain if she's a serious threat, then shoot center mass or not at all.

Gotta think about those bystanders.

Site Meter
click
tracking