Author Topic: State's First Closing Argument  (Read 13323 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: State's First Closing Argument
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
That's a good question. I think that trial went about as well as the defense could have hoped, so I doubt they'd want to risk another one. I wish they'd objected when BDLR made the statement. The sidebar would have thrown BDLR off, I think. Perhaps they could have gotten a curative instruction that would put BDLR in an embarrassing position, and would let the jurors know something was hidden from them. I'm quite curious to see if the defense makes it an issue.

The state took overnight to object to Serino's statement that he thought Zimmerman was telling the truth, and the state got a curative instruction.  That remedy is certainly less invasive than asking for a mistrial.

I think it would be a good thing to ask for.  If Nelson denies it, one more issue for appeal.  If she grants it, puts the state in a rather embarrassing position.  OTOH, it would make an issue of absence of evidence of fighting.  I'm not sure the jurors would figure it out, but absence of evidence of TM fighting ability was a court decision (to keep something hidden from the jury), and a contentious one at that, decided just yesterday.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Although at this point I could see JDN granting a mistrial and the state cleaning up it's act big time for the next trial.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
MOM should get GZ's jacket mounted just like TM's hoodie and display them side by side while discussing the testimony of the witnesses who placed the larger figure on top of the struggle.  I've seen several people comment on how large the (in)famous hoodie looks all stretched out in it's frame...betcha it's way bigger than GZ's jacket.
That's a great idea!

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Although at this point I could see JDN granting a mistrial and the state cleaning up it's act big time for the next trial.

The state has the resources. However retrial would allow the defense to appeal the ridiculous decisions to disallow exculpatory evidence contained in TMs phone and social media accounts. Still a lot of squirmy things under that rock just waiting to be exposed.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »

???  You mean coming up with some real evidence?  What is there to clean up?  Not do the opening with F bombs?

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »
How much time does the prosecution have for rebuttal tomorrow?  It seemed like BDLR went significantly over the two hour mark.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:22:28 PM by redstripe »

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
If I were the defense, I'd consider going through a list of BDLR's misstatements of the evidence, and then point out that he made those misstatements despite having a chance to review the testimony in a quiet office; yet he expects GZ to remember everything that happened after a frantic, terror-filled encounter on a dark night.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
MJW, could you give us a list of BDLR's evidence misstatements that you remember offhand?  Thanks. 

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
If I were the defense, I'd consider going through a list of BDLR's misstatements of the evidence, and then point out that he made those misstatements despite having a chance to review the testimony in a quiet office; yet he expects GZ to remember everything that happened after a frantic, terror-filled encounter on a dark night.

Good point. Although I think many of BDLR's 'misstatements' were deliberate. No one can be that dumb

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
MJW, could you give us a list of BDLR's evidence misstatements that you remember offhand?  Thanks.

One was when he claimed GZ said "call my wife and tell her I killed him". Another was the one I brought up, where he claimed there was no evidence Trayvon was a fighter.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
Good point. Although I think many of BDLR's 'misstatements' were deliberate. No one can be that dumb

They were absolutely deliberate. Bernardo is anything but dumb. You don't get where you are in his career by being dumb.

Sometimes it's almost like he's throwing the race, that's how not dumb he's been over his career.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
Can O'Mara tell the jury that neither side was allowed to introduce evidence concerning TM's fighting abilities so they shouldn't consider the issue?  Or can the ask the judge give a special jury instruction on the matter?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
One was when he claimed GZ said "call my wife and tell her I killed him". Another was the one I brought up, where he claimed there was no evidence Trayvon was a fighter.

Here's a real whopper.  "We wanted to tell you all the evidence. We wanted to put in all the witnesses that saw something of value out there because we wanted you to get the truth. We wanted you to get the complete story."

CNN has transcripts, if anybody wants to scour them carefully.

Offline redstripe

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
They were absolutely deliberate. Bernardo is anything but dumb. You don't get where you are in his career by being dumb.

Sometimes it's almost like he's throwing the race, that's how not dumb he's been over his career

He strikes me as someone who's very clever and a master of office politics, however his actual abilities as a lawyer seem to be lacking for someone of his rank.  I could be wrong though, maybe he was just laying the ground work for some sort of elaborate rope-a-dope on rebuttal.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
He strikes me as someone who's very clever and a master of office politics, however his actual abilities as a lawyer seem to be lacking for someone of his rank.  I could be wrong though, maybe he was just laying the ground work for some sort of elaborate rope-a-dope on rebuttal.

De la Rionda, the assistant state attorney in the Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida, is the lead prosecutor in the Zimmerman trial. Originally from Cuba, de la Rionda was stowed on a cargo plane by his parents to escape the Communist country when he was 4 years old. He was raised in the United States by his grandparents.

De la Rionda has almost 30 years of experience and has more than 250 trials -- including many homicide cases -- under his belt. De la Rionda was honored in 2010 with the “Director’s Community Leadership Award" by the FBI. When presenting the award, the FBI spoke about de la Rionda’s “legendary” reputation as an exceptional prosecutor.

And this from the FBI:

Mr. Bernie de la Rionda serves as an Assistant State’s Attorney in the Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida. In Florida, Mr. de la Rionda’s reputation as an exceptional prosecutor is legendary. In his 27 years of service, he has had more than 250 jury trials, 67 of which were homicide cases.  During the last two years, from 2009 to 2010, Mr. de la Rionda was the lead counsel in five homicide trials, all of which were first-degree murder cases. Furthermore, in 22 cases he was successful in obtaining a death penalty recommendation and sentence.

BTW, he's sent more black people to death row than any other prosecutor. Just ironic.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:32:51 PM by annoyedbeyond »

Site Meter
click
tracking