Author Topic: Defense Closing  (Read 12086 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Defense Closing
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 07:55:49 AM »
O'Mara coordinates Mora's timing to view, with Zimmerman being on top, consistent with Zimmerman's narrative.

Animation over.  O'Mara said that it includes some assumptions as to detail, but it gives an idea, a perspective that is fully consistent with the evidence in this case.  The event started at the T, Zimmerman getting hit in the face, fight moves, and the only person injured, other than the gunshot, is Zimmerman.

Now we get into what happened.  You can argue all you want about wannabe cop, seething anger, but if you don;t prove it (BYD), it doesn't exist.

It's been about a minute and half since Zimmerman concluded his NEN call.  Maybe Zimmerman is trying to keep a visual.  What was Martin doing?  The evidence is he was on the phone with Rachael.  O'Mara coordinates Zimmerman's "he's running" with call drop between Martin and Rachael.

Going to take a break - he didn't realize he'd been talking for so long.  Nobody is moving.  You could hear a pin drop in that courtroom.  After a LONG time, he says, "That's how long Trayvon Martin had to run."  WOW.  Very effective.

I see cutouts leaning on the wall.  Probably show the relative sizes of Zimmerman and Martin, for later use.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 07:57:48 AM »
It was 4 minutes in pitch darkness that Martin had to go home.  Zimmerman couldn't have seen him.  O'Mara missed that important point.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »
Now he's pointing out the actual distances to the jury, and pointing out that the state didn't bother to provide any actual distance or information about the distance or what TM was doing.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:28 AM »
Did the state tell you anything about what Martin was doing for those four minutes?  Do you have a doubt as to what Martin was doing, and what he must have been thinking for those four minutes?

Calls for recess.  15 minute recess.

So far, pretty good closing argument, IMO.

Offline AghastInFL

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
nice timing for the recess, time to chew on the silence of the States missing evidence.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
It was 4 minutes in pitch darkness that Martin had to go home.  Zimmerman couldn't have seen him.  O'Mara missed that important point.

Maybe the jurors have memory longer than a goldfish, and recall that it was a dark and rainy night.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »

He's already mentioned the pitch blackness about 7 times. Maybe 27 times. What closing statement are you watching?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »
Maybe the jurors have memory longer than a goldfish, and recall that it was a dark and rainy night.

Isn't that part of this? O'Mara is talking to the jury, treating them as intelligent people who've been there this whole time.

That's got to be helpful, especially compared with Bernie hollering at them. Not many women appreciate men hollering at them as though they're morons.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »

Wouldn't overstating the obvious be "talking down" to the jury?

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
Did the state tell you anything about what Martin was doing for those four minutes?  Do you have a doubt as to what Martin was doing, and what he must have been thinking for those four minutes?

Calls for recess.  15 minute recess.

So far, pretty good closing argument, IMO.

I second that.

I thought I caught Bernie look up and around, then sigh as if in a moments acknowledgement of defeat.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »
O'Mara's closing isn't as strong as I expected. I was surprised that he would claim GZ was still at the clubhouse when GZ started to approach the truck. 

Seeing the animation when O'Mara presented it, I realized something I overlooked before. It puts the punch right at the T, consistent with where the keychain flashlight was found, but inconsistent with what GZ indicated in the reenactment (7:28)

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »
O'Mara's closing isn't as strong as I expected. I was surprised that he would claim GZ was still at the clubhouse when GZ started to approach the truck. 

Seeing the animation when O'Mara presented it, I realized something I overlooked before. It puts the punch right at the T, consistent with where the keychain flashlight was found, but inconsistent with what GZ indicated in the reenactment (7:28)

At 8:08 looks a lot like being at the T when he says he got punched.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »
Four minutes.  That felt like a long time for you.  We get to ponder what Martin was thinking.  Zimmerman said "he's running."  Four minutes to walk home, run home.  Four minute mile.  With the opportunity to go home, he did not (or at least he didn't stay there).  Somebody decided they were angry, ticked off, or had ill will spite or hatred.  Somebody decided it wasn't over with the running.

The person who decided this was going to become a violent event was the guy who didn't go home.  When the state told you that Martin had no decisions, that Zimmerman planned this?  Really?  Four minutes of planning (by Martin) and they want you to ignore it.  With those four minutes, let's use your common sense.

Zimmerman going back to his car with that little baby flashlight.  Martin on the phone, talking with Rachael (she didn't want to be involved in this case).  Throw out everything Zimmerman said - he should have shut up and not told anything to law enforcement.  So, let's make believe all his self serving statements are out.  What do we have?

Show picture of Zimmerman bloody face.  Good thing we have it, because otherwise all we would have is the cleaned up picture.  But we have the bloody face, smashed nose picture.  We have 40 seconds of screaming.  O'Mara figured, once you find out who is screaming, case over.  Challenges the state to produce a theory of why Martin would be screaming while he's beating on Zimmerman.

On the voice, now you do get to decide (or not) who was screaming.  Under reasonable doubt, who gets the benefit?  Zimmerman.  Then the statement by Manalo.  De la Rionda's "I killed the guy", well, use your memory.  Zimmerman actually said "I shot somebody."  What should he do, think about how his remark is going to be used 1 year and a half later?  Smith says, right away, "Zimmerman said he was screaming for help."  So this mastermind criminal knew, at that moment, that he better say he was the one screaming?

Hard to do justice to this closing in paraphrase form.  O'Mara is doing much better than my notes reflect, I'll say that.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
O'Mara pointing out that the state is trying to invert the burden of proof, so that Zimmerman has to prove he is innocent.

Goes to slide show, photo of each witness, bullet points for each witness.  Chad, throw a football that far.  7-11 clerk is 5'10", Noffke ... LOL.  This is the state witnesses proving Zimmerman's innocence.

Emphasizing that cop wannabe Zimmerman turned down an offer to get a uniform, yellow-cop-light car, cop computer (or clipboard).

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »
I admit--I laughed when he said 'little cop clip board'.

Site Meter
click
tracking