Author Topic: State's Closing Rebuttal  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: State's Closing Rebuttal
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Before lunch one of the WFTV talking heads, the anchor/interviewer guy, said one of the jurors teared up at some point in the rebuttal. I don't recall if he named a source.

Schaeffer said that's never a good sign, but I doubt it means anything. Many people can empathize with parents losing a child, and Guy was pulling out all the emotional stops. IIRC all but one of the jurors is a mother.
Hopefully the other five jurors will remind her of their legal obligation, as set out in the jury instructions, that they are not to let sympathy influence their decisions.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Before lunch one of the WFTV talking heads, the anchor/interviewer guy, said one of the jurors teared up at some point in the rebuttal. I don't recall if he named a source.

Schaeffer said that's never a good sign, but I doubt it means anything. Many people can empathize with parents losing a child, and Guy was pulling out all the emotional stops. IIRC all but one of the jurors is a mother.

You'd think someone else would've mentioned that by now wouldn't you?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
Didn't get back to just a bit ago.  So Guy didn't have anything to say about the button?  I see he tried the Tray didn't go home because of bad pedophile might go after Chad.  Like I said, O'Mara should have said 4 minutes in pitch darkness. 

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
Didn't get back to just a bit ago.  So Guy didn't have anything to say about the button?  I see he tried the Tray didn't go home because of bad pedophile might go after Chad.  Like I said, O'Mara should have said 4 minutes in pitch darkness.

The only time the button has been mentioned was how it maybe pulled the shirts out but that was Bernie.

O'Mara already said it was dark. About a hundred and forty seven times. One of the times he was saying it was back when you were accusing him of talking down to the jury.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:37 PM »
Did Guy explain how Z could have seen M in the dark?  Really the darkness kills the state case and should have been repeated 500 times.  The defense should have called Austin to give his "the moon hadn't come up and only one porch light was on monolog.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
Did Guy explain how Z could have seen M in the dark?  Really the darkness kills the state case and should have been repeated 500 times.  The defense should have called Austin to give his "the moon hadn't come up and only one porch light was on monolog.

I thought MOM referring to Lauers exterior light not being on, how dark it really was(he gave a range as to how far you could see IIRC) , and then holding up the tiny flashlight keychain (while mentioning the darkness then) in evidence sufficiently made the point to the jury. It did not appear lost or glossed over circumstance.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »
I thought MOM referring to Lauers exterior light not being on

If you are talking about the part I am thinking of, O'Mara didn't say it wasn't on. He said the state hadn't proved it was on, and it was their burden.

I don't think he was talking about a light in the back. From the beginning of the case, and I mean the case, not just the trial, I don't recall that there has ever been an issue about the lighting of that unit in the back. I think O'Mara was talking about this light, and whether GZ could see the house number on 1211 Twin Trees Ln.

I think that's a moot point, except as another illustration of GZ fantasizing or confabulating. By his own account, GZ had reached Retreat View Circle by the time the dispatcher asked him where he wanted to meet the police. On the NEN call, it was after that when the dispatcher asked him for the address where his truck was parked (2:52).

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:42:23 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
If you are talking about the part I am thinking of, O'Mara didn't say it wasn't on. He said the state hadn't proved it was on, and it was their burden.

I don't think he was talking about a light in the back. From the beginning of the case, and I mean the case, not just the trial, I don't recall that there has ever been an issue about the lighting of that unit in the back. I think O'Mara was talking about this light, and whether GZ could see the house number on 1211 Twin Trees Ln.

I think that's a moot point, except as another illustration of GZ fantasizing or confabulating. By his own
account, GZ had reached Retreat View Circle by the time the dispatcher asked him where he wanted to meet the police. On the NEN call, it was after that when the dispatcher asked him for the address where his truck was parked (2:52).

You are right-
On all accounts!

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »

I think Surdyka's 911 call gives us a benchmark for how far a person could see another person. I don't see how how that is trumped by vague statements that it was 'very dark', which is something Surdyka herself also said.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
Guy's approach of constantly referring to TM as a child makes the denial of the phone evidence even more harmful to the defense.

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
Guy's approach of constantly referring to TM as a child makes the denial of the phone evidence even more harmful to the defense.

Bernie could not remember to refer to Martin as a child.
He referred to him several times as man-
Using both man and child in the same sentence.

I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 06:38:13 AM »
I think Surdyka's 911 call gives us a benchmark for how far a person could see another person. I don't see how how that is trumped by vague statements that it was 'very dark', which is something Surdyka herself also said.

Yes, because we should completely believe the witness who's been so discredited (remember her claim--which had no place in court--that she was an Olympian?--or even the "pop pop pop"?

You butcher George for minor inconsistencies that are easily understood and not even seen as an issue by experienced police investigators, yet you want to rely on this woman as some sort of touchstone?

Seems odd to me.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »
Yes, because we should completely believe the witness who's been so discredited

Response on Surdyka thread.

Site Meter
click
tracking