George Zimmerman Trial Coverage > Verdict Watch and Reactions

Verdict Reactions

(1/26) > >>

nomatter_nevermind:
As I mentioned on another thread, I woke up about 12:00 AM EDT, and heard the verdict on CNN. I flipped between CNN and HLN for a few minutes before getting on the computer.

I saw some video of what looked like a pretty big, and peaceful, march in San Francisco. Reports of calm from around the country.

After reading and posting here, I looked over Twitter. TM family's lawyers making upbeat comments, Sanford is (somehow) a better place because of this (Jackson), we must learn lessons so this kind of thing doesn't happen again (Crump). Crump made an appeal for peace. Parks said TM's parents were in a 'safe location' when the verdict was read, not in court on advice of their lawyers.

nomatter_nevermind:
This will probably be my first post-verdict deletion, but I'm feeling compelled to share with the gang. I checked out Leatherman. Yes, I have a taste for schadenfreude. No apologies.

Like Rachel Jeantel's testimony, it's funnier than I expected. They're turning on each other.

Leatherman himself posted a brief reaction. The verdict is tragic and 'just so wrong', condolences to TM's family, analysis in 'coming days'.

Enter the commenters. One asked what's wrong with Florida, another said it's any place with white people, provoking a rousing defense of Canada. Then various commenters opined on which U.S. states would, and which would not, let 'the murderer' walk.

That's when they started calling calling each other racist. Something about a lawn jockey.

I didn't see that coming. That joke sure is on me. I thought better of them.

I thought I would just sample the comments, but now I'm thinking I might read all 600+ of them. This is entertainment.

nomatter_nevermind:
Twitter reporting people protesting the verdict in Oakland have smashed some windows. The Oakland Tribune on Broadway and 20th is named (photos 1, 2). Not clear if that's the only building.

annoyedbeyond:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on July 14, 2013, 01:37:04 AM ---This will probably be my first post-verdict deletion, but I'm feeling compelled to share with the gang. I checked out Leatherman. Yes, I have a taste for schadenfreude. No apologies.

Like Rachel Jeantel's testimony, it's funnier than I expected. They're turning on each other.

Leatherman himself posted a brief reaction. The verdict is tragic and 'just so wrong', condolences to TM's family, analysis in 'coming days'.

Enter the commenters. One asked what's wrong with Florida, another said it's any place with white people, provoking a rousing defense of Canada. Then various commenters opined on which U.S. states would, and which would not, let 'the murderer' walk.

That's when they started calling calling each other racist. Something about a lawn jockey.

I didn't see that coming. That joke sure is on me. I thought better of them.

I thought I would just sample the comments, but now I'm thinking I might read all 600+ of them. This is entertainment.

--- End quote ---

Other than your mad, ocd attention to detail, I'm beginning to think we're the same person.  ;D

cboldt:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on July 14, 2013, 01:37:04 AM ---I thought I would just sample the comments, but now I'm thinking I might read all 600+ of them. This is entertainment.

--- End quote ---

Totally expected reaction on the part of the people who have such strong confirmation bias that simple facts are rejected over and over and over.  Somehow the thought that Martin might have actually looked suspicious (even to them!) escapes their memory and thought process.  Somehow a beat down against a pudgy guy who isn't capable of (and is likely unwilling) striking back, who is screaming for help, is "doing nothing wrong."

Notice how many members of the press are similarly reality challenged.  That's what I find most fascinating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version