Author Topic: Verdict Reactions  (Read 22013 times)

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Reactions
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
I don't think the DOJ will act. Some time ago I researched this, and found that they had declined cases that in my opinion are stronger than this one.

Was that declining by the DOJ in general and historically, or specifically just under Holder and Obama?

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
The NAACP trying to conflate this into a racial issue is doing an injustice to real racial injusices, both past and future.
Someone needs to send Jealous a copy of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Was that declining by the DOJ in general and historically, or specifically just under Holder and Obama?

Good question. I don't recall now if any of the cases I looked into were post 2008. But I doubt Obama/Holder want to embarrass themselves with a politically charged case that they can't win, and that politically neutral legal commentators will point out is extremely weak by historical standards.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
Miami reporter Christina Vazquez tweets 'Zimmerman petition overwhelms NAACP website'.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
Leatherman commenter:
It should have been 0 gun owners on that jury.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
I've been trying to get a look at the NAACP petition. Sure enough, server is down or overloaded.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Harry Reid says that, while he respects the jury and their decision, "this is not over."

*yawn*.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »
I heard on TV (channel flipping) that President Obama had made a public comment on the verdict. I've been looking for confirmation and a verbatim quote on the web, but no luck so far.

It seems it was routine, the jury has spoken, this is our system, that kind of thing. I think nothing about DOJ action either way.

ETA: It popped up on Twitter.

Statement by the President

July 14, 2013

The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy.  Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America.  I know this case has elicited strong passions.  And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher.  But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken.  I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son.  And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities.  We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis.  We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this.  As citizens, that’s a job for all of us.  That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:44:51 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
Gun control for Trayvon!

Never mind that George had a legally purchased and carried firearm and the verdict by itself means they believe he acted in self defense (or that the prosecution didn't prove he didn't. I'm not sure how or where to draw that line).

How about, instead of gun control for Trayvon, a push to try and have there be fewer late teen-early twenties kids that would want to attack someone?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
Associated Press reports that the Justice Dept. has issued a statement. I would call it a boilerplate 'under consideration' assurance.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department says it is looking into the shooting death of Trayvon Martin to determine whether federal prosecutors should file criminal civil rights charges now that George Zimmerman has been acquitted in the state case.

The department opened an investigation into Martin's death last year but stepped aside to allow the state prosecution to proceed.

In a statement Sunday, the Justice Department said the criminal section of the civil rights division, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's office for the Middle District of Florida are continuing to evaluate the evidence generated during the federal probe, in addition to the evidence and testimony from the state trial.

The statement said that, in the government's words, "experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation."

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
At Leatherman's, commenters are fantasizing that investigation will prove the jury was fixed, opening the way for GZ to be tried again.

I think that is correct on the law. If the jury was fixed, the defendant wasn't in jeopardy. That's a retroactive mistrial, acquittal set aside, defendant may be charged and tried again.

Offline woodchuck64

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
Quoting Obama:
We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis.  We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this.

He's shifting the blame from race to guns.  No matter where you are on gun laws, it still seems better to take this tack than to be inciting hatred between blacks and whites. 

Meanwhile, Leatherman seems to be reaping what he's sown.  Comment from "Eric":
"Please stop acting like this is a Florida problem. It’s a wherever white people are problem."

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
I've been trying to get a look at the NAACP petition. Sure enough, server is down or overloaded.

I wanted to look too since I got an email from BJealous around midnight.  It doesn't have a read more.  It just has a sign this petition button.  I am afraid to click on that because it is not a petition that I care to sign.

It was overloading this morning but is operational this afternoon.  I went in thru Google though.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
Attorney General Eric Holder,

The Department of Justice has closely monitored the State of Florida's prosecution of the case against George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin murder since it began. Today, with the acquittal of George Zimmerman, it is time for the Department of Justice to act.

The most fundamental of civil rights — the right to life — was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin. We ask that the Department of Justice file civil rights charges against Mr. Zimmerman for this egregious violation.

Please address the travesties of the tragic death of Trayvon Martin by acting today.

Thank you.

It's being mirrored at move on dot org now.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/open-a-civil-rights-case

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
I am waiting to see if Sybrina Fulton or Tracy Martin will pursue a civil action against Zimmerman.

I can't see how that would make things better (winnable) since the texts, phone records including nude underage females and gun purchase inquiries would be fully disclosed.

Zimmerman it would seem had a rough year in 2005 but what is there to hold against him this decade since he was acquitted of Murder2 and Manslaughter?

Site Meter
click
tracking