Author Topic: Verdict Reactions  (Read 25339 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Reactions
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
What about the Richardson hearing on discovery violations that was delayed until the trial was over?  Has it been scheduled?  I wonder if the media will cover it.  Since 776.032 seems to only offer compensation to Zimmerman for civil action, I guess the next step is to try to pay the bills via NBC.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
About three hours ago, Matt Gutman tweeted
Zimmerman to get his gun back, needs it more than ever his lawyer Mark O'Mara tells ABC.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
About three hours ago, Matt Gutman tweeted

Did Nelson say she wasn't releasing the ammunition, or was that before, when the jurors started deliberating?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
Did Nelson say she wasn't releasing the ammunition, or was that before, when the jurors started deliberating?

Nelson didn't want the jurors to have the gun and ammunition in the deliberation room at the same time, for safety reasons.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Thanks. I couldn't remember exactly when she'd said it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »

NAACP Petition

OPEN A CIVIL RIGHTS CASE AGAINST GEORGE ZIMMERMAN

A jury has acquitted George Zimmerman, but we are not done demanding justice for Trayvon. Sign our petition to the Department of Justice today.

Attorney General Eric Holder,

The Department of Justice has closely monitored the State of Florida's prosecution of the case against George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin murder since it began. Today, with the acquittal of George Zimmerman, it is time for the Department of Justice to act.

The most fundamental of civil rights the right to life was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin. We ask that the Department of Justice file civil rights charges against Mr. Zimmerman for this egregious violation.

Please address the travesties of the tragic death of Trayvon Martin by acting today.

Thank you.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:07 AM »
On Twitter yesterday evening (Sunday, 7/14/13).
Thousands converge on Times Square outraged over Zimmerman verdict. Traffic stopped.

Photos 1, 2.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 05:13:51 AM »
NAACP Petition

Yeah. I posted it for you yesterday right after you said you hadn't been able to find it. You're welcome for me taking the time.  :(

Offline MikeB

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:06 AM »
Maybe turning this into a racial suit would benefit Zimmerman. He is a Hispanic who was called a racial slur before being attacked.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but didn't the FBI do a lot of digging into GZ's internet activities, in addition to interviewing a lot of people that knew him, and came up with no indication of racism?

Was there some sort of official "we found nothing" statement-- or was there simply the statement that the FBI had looked into him, coupled with no indication that the state received anything that they could-- or did-- use in the trial?

And were W9's "molestation" claim and the statements of GZ's ex who filed the restraining order made with the FBI, or were those statements made to other investigators for the state?

If my memory is correct that the FBI put it on the record that they looked but found nothing, then IMO the statement from the DOJ is nothing more than an attempt to placate the BGI, and any further action is DOA and they ought to say so PDQ.

(Oh, yeah, and LS/MFT. Just for anyone old enough for AARP.)

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
Yes. Drudge has a huge compendium of links about Zimmerman, including stories about how the FBI already determined he wasn't a racist, and how Serino told the FBI GZ wasn't a racist and so forth.

I'm really tired of the way things are.

A white kid makes a stupid comment in an on line video game and he's arrested and facing several years in jail (he said he was going to shoot up a school or something, then he clarified it with j/k and so forth...but he got arrested for making a terroristic threat.

A black kid says he's going to shoot up a school because he's pissed about GZ being found not guilty, and it's no big deal. Black athletes tweet things like "the jury should go home and kill themselves"...nothin'.

But a hispanic guy killed a black guy in self defense, it must be racist.

Tiresome. And aggravating. Annoying, even.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »
How about something to make your blood boil?  I challenge anyone to actually get through this 34 minute discussion that includes college professors.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
The FBI interview of GZ's ex is 140-44/284.

The ex's mother was also interviewed by the FBI, 139/284.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
Audio of W-9's FDLE interview.

What's that got to do with "verdict reactions"?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but didn't the FBI do a lot of digging into GZ's internet activities, in addition to interviewing a lot of people that knew him, and came up with no indication of racism?

My understanding is that only a fraction of the reports generated by the FBI have been included in the discovery.

In the discovery, I don't think there is anything suggesting racism against blacks. There is the social media with negative remarks about 'Mexicans'. There is an interview, I think FDLE, with a former co-worker of GZ's who is of middle eastern background. He said GZ sometimes mocked him with ethnic stereotypes. But I don't think such issues with non-black minorities would be relevant for a federal civil rights prosecution.

Was there some sort of official "we found nothing" statement

I don't think so. Certainly I've never seen such a thing.

I don't think it is the usual practice of the FBI to make such statements. I also don't think the FBI investigation of GZ has been completed.

no indication that the state received anything that they could-- or did-- use in the trial

I wouldn't assume there is identity between what the state could use at trial to suggest hatred, spite, etc., and what the DOJ could use to get into federal court with a civil rights prosecution. The bar might be lower for the latter.

On another site, I've seen the allegation that GZ's on-line fundraising has included some CTH type rhetoric. I can imagine that would be a sufficient hook, if its use is not precluded by its being after-the-fact. I don't know anything about the relevant case law.

Site Meter
click
tracking