Author Topic: Verdict Reactions  (Read 25339 times)

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Reactions
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
After thinking about all the complaints about there not being any blacks on the jury, I am thankful there were not.  For they surely would have received the same despicable treatment that Joe Oliver did; Uncle Tom, race traitors, etc., etc.  I believe any black who sat on that jury would have come to the same conclusion that the jurors did.  While what happened was tragic, Zimmerman did not violate any laws of the State of Florida and was not guilty of the charges brought against him.

Nothing can diminish the truth that a young life was lost, and I can't imagine the pain that the Martin's must feel.  But the unbelievable furor that was ginned up over this case diminishes Trayvon's death just as much as it destroys Zimmerman's life.  There are no winners and no resolution to the pain on either side.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
After thinking about all the complaints about there not being any blacks on the jury, I am thankful there were not.  For they surely would have received the same despicable treatment that Joe Oliver did; Uncle Tom, race traitors, etc., etc.  I believe any black who sat on that jury would have come to the same conclusion that the jurors did.  While what happened was tragic, Zimmerman did not violate any laws of the State of Florida and was not guilty of the charges brought against him.

Nothing can diminish the truth that a young life was lost, and I can't imagine the pain that the Martin's must feel.  But the unbelievable furor that was ginned up over this case diminishes Trayvon's death just as much as it destroys Zimmerman's life.  There are no winners and no resolution to the pain on either side.

Why are you so confident that adherence to the law would triumph over the rationalizations that accompany a desire for self preservation and other self interests? Could end as a hung jury.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
I found Rachel believable.  I suspect the jury did too.  Her perjuries were quite understandable and forgivable.

But her testimony didn't change the fact that Trayvon, at the moment he was shot, had been beating Zimmerman for 40 seconds or more, broke his nose and inflicted multiple blunt force trauma injuries on Zimmerman's head.

That fact, testified to by both Zimmerman and John Good, more than any other fact in the trial, justified the verdict.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:25:44 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 06:06:03 PM »

Why are you so confident that adherence to the law would triumph over the rationalizations that accompany a desire for self preservation and other self interests? Could end as a hung jury.
Because the kinds of people who end up on juries are not usually the kind that put their own self preservation and interests above the law.  Regardless of skin color (or gender or any other characteristic) jurors tend to be, for the most part, deliberative bodies that come to the correct conclusion in most cases.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »
Associated Press, 7/16/13
Protesters ran through Los Angeles streets Monday night [7/15], breaking windows, attacking people on sidewalks and at one point raiding a Wal-Mart store, while others blocked a major freeway in the San Francisco Bay Area in the third night of demonstrations in California over George Zimmerman's Florida acquittal in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Thirteen people were arrested after multiple acts of vandalism and several assaults in Los Angeles' Crenshaw District, Mayor Eric Garcetti and Police Chief Charlie Beck said at a news conference.

Garcetti and Beck didn't elaborate on the assaults or any injuries, but at least one man could be seen in the street with a head injury.

. . .

Several hundred mostly peaceful protesters gathered Monday night [7/15] at Leimert Park southwest of downtown LA, many of them chanting, praying and singing.

But a smaller group of between 100 and 150 people splintered off and began blocking traffic on nearby Crenshaw Boulevard, some of them jumping on cars and breaking windows at liquor stores and fast food outlets.

Several protesters ran into a Wal-Mart store, where they knocked down displays before store security chased them out, and police began guarding the door.

. . .

[Photo caption: A group of people attempt to tear down a fence after attending a prayer rally in the aftermath of the Zimmerman verdict in Los Angeles Monday[7/15].]

TV news helicopters showed some people kicking and punching others along the street, including two people sitting on a bus bench.

Police declared the gathering an unlawful assembly about three hours after it began, and most of the crowd left the street.

. . .

More than a half-dozen people were arrested on charges of vandalism and assault, both felony and misdemeanor, Oakland police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said.

. . .

Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer sent a letter Monday[7/15] to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder supporting the Justice Department decision to review the case to determine whether Martin's civil rights were violated.

CNN, 7/16/13
A group of protesters in Los Angeles did exactly what critics of George Zimmerman's acquittal didn't want -- they vented their anger through violence.

Police said the group damaged cars and businesses along Crenshaw Boulevard, a major thoroughfare. Officers made 13 arrests.

. . .

Police emphasized that the vast majority of protesters in Los Angeles -- and around the country -- have rallied peacefully since Saturday[7/13] . . . But some Los Angeles protesters hurled rocks, batteries and chunks of concrete toward police over the weekend. Officers responded by shooting bean bags.

And on Monday night [7/15], a protester struck a news photographer in the head with a hard object. The impact knocked the camera out of the hands of the photographer, who works for CNN affiliate KCAL.

Nine people were arrested in Oakland, California, during protests that ended around midnight, Oakland Police Officer Johnna Watson said early Tuesday morning [7/16].

Some protesters threw rocks, bottles and firecrackers at police, Watson said.

More than 350,000 people have signed a MoveOn.org petition started by the NAACP asking for the Justice Department to file civil rights charges against Zimmerman.

Two petitions to the White House seeking such charges had more than 18,000 signatures between them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:31:50 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »
It just occurs to me that the media are avoiding the word 'riot', using instead words like 'violence' and 'clash'.

The first time I saw a TV report of violence in LA, I don't recall if it was yesterday or the day before, I failed to confirm it on the web. I think my mistake was to search using only the word 'riot'.

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
Raiding a walmart?    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   

[T]hey knocked down displays before store security chased them out

It seems they found nothing worth stealing.

Maybe they were looking for Skittles.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
Maybe The Ministry of Information has requested media not to report riots as such?

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
As long as Wally world still has Dale Jr. Ts  I am happy.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »
Because the kinds of people who end up on juries are not usually the kind that put their own self preservation and interests above the law.  Regardless of skin color (or gender or any other characteristic) jurors tend to be, for the most part, deliberative bodies that come to the correct conclusion in most cases.

WAY OFF TOPIC!
I am so glad to see you.  I have been wondering if you were ok.  I lost the link to your site.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
WAY OFF TOPIC!
I am so glad to see you.  I have been wondering if you were ok.  I lost the link to your site.
Thanks for remembering me.  :)   I'm ok.  My wife is done with the surgeries and radiation and is now cancer free.  I haven't written on the blog since that last post, so losing the link is not big deal.  I don't know if I'll ever write again.  Maybe some day.  If I do, I'll make sure you know.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
Thanks for remembering me.  :)   I'm ok.  My wife is done with the surgeries and radiation and is now cancer free.  I haven't written on the blog since that last post, so losing the link is not big deal.  I don't know if I'll ever write again.  Maybe some day.  If I do, I'll make sure you know.

I am happy for you and your wife.  That has been a long haul for you both!  I see you have been giving them a run for the money out on the main board!  That is when I knew I had missed you.

((cyber hugs to you and your family))
Deb

;)

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 07:24:24 AM »
I found Rachel believable.  I suspect the jury did too.  Her perjuries were quite understandable and forgivable.

I thought her testimony was manufactured.  How someone could remember (3 weeks later) a 10 minute conversation in such detail but could not recall anything prior to those 10 minutes does not sound believable.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
The Baltimore Sun, 7/15/13
Baltimore police say they are investigating a witness account that a group of black youths beat a Hispanic man near Patterson Park Sunday while saying, "This is for Trayvon."

A witness posted the account on a community Facebook page, and police confirmed they are looking into whether the suspects' reaction to the verdict in the Florida trial of George Zimmerman played a part in the incident. A police report on the beating does not mention the alleged comments.

Sgt. Eric Kowalczyk, a police spokesman, declined to go into further detail.

In a post that drew nearly 50 comments on Facebook, real estate agent Christina Dudley said she was walking to her car just before 9 p.m. when she saw several young black males and two black females chasing a 37-year-old Hispanic man west on North Linwood Avenue past East Fairmont Avenue.

"One of the boys had a handgun out and it was pointed at the back of him," Dudley said in an interview.

They caught up to the man at the corner of Fairmount and N. Streeper Street, and the male with the gun beat the victim with what appeared to be his gun while others kicked and stomped him, Dudley said.

"They were just yelling and calling him names as they ran after him, but once they were hitting him and after that they started yelling, "This is for Trayvon, [expletive]," said Dudley, who heard the chant repeated multiple times.

Dudley and a woman walking her dog across the street told the group to stop and warned that they were calling 911. The group scattered before police arrived. Police have no arrests or named suspects.

Using a translator, police spoke to the victim, who knows some English, according to the police report.

. . .

The victim turned and ran before he was caught in the 2800 block of Fairmont and was beaten, police said. He sustained abrasions to his elbows and forearms but refused medical attention.

Police listed all of the suspects involved as black males.

Site Meter
click
tracking